hull cover for Ariel

Advert

hull cover for Ariel

Home Forums Sailing Models hull cover for Ariel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    hutch
    Participant
      @hutch73959

using a nylon stocking on the hull

Advert
      hutch
      Participant
        @hutch73959

Hi Guys

I used a nylon stocking as a cover for my two Jenny's that I built approx 30 years ago cannot remember what I used to seal the stocking any ideas?

Cheers,

Hutch

Edited By b hutch hutchinson on 27/12/2017 07:04:39

Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

Hutch,

You probably used something like sanding sealer or dope back then.and these are still workable options.

Modern alternatives would include something like Z Poxy finishing resin or Deluxe Materials Ezecote which is an acrylic water clean up resin. Both are used successfully by members on here.

Colin

hutch
          Participant
            @hutch73959

HI Colin

Thank for that I will look into what would be the best down here in Adelaide, South Australia.

Cheers

Hutch

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

Nothing wrong with traditional methods. My recently completed fishery cruiser had the balsa and ply hull finished with gumstrip paper and shellac with automotive paints over the top. An authentic organic hull which should last as long as anything else.

Colin

brenda (2).jpg

Edited By Colin Bishop on 27/12/2017 22:53:42

hutch
              Participant
                @hutch73959

Hi Colin,

Like the model looks like the real one!

Have used a putty to fill the planking dips and gaps, will use Feast Watson sanding sealer for the hull inside,this is a top brand sealer.

Will pull a stocking over tight and use the sanding sealer to bed it down then epoxy paint for the finish coating.

I think this will give me a strong hull, that will outlast me.

Cheers For now

Hutch

ashley needham
                Participant
                  @ashleyneedham69188

Colin. Organic boating. Well that takes us into the 21st century!

I might try a hollowed out cucumber next………..

​Stocking. I would not want to rub down the hull and touch the stocking as I cant think that the nylon will rub down very well, just as a thought.

Ashley

Edited By ashley needham on 28/12/2017 17:02:39

Byron Rees…(Ron)
                  Participant
                    @byronrees-ron

Hutch,

I use stockings a lot (No comments guys!!!) and a double layer (Done one at a time) makes for a very strong hull. Some sanding sealers, mainly older French polishing types can make the nylon go a little slimy so test on an offcut first. Acrylic floor varnish which often has a milky consistency or PVA white glue thinned down a bit for brushing are worthwhile and cheaper alternatives. All available down under.

As mentioned above by Ashley careful as you sand down stockings as a hole (or ladder) is a pig to cover up. Give it five or six thin coats and let dry and only use very fine (200 or more) grit paper.

Works a treat.

Cheers………….Ron

hutch
                    Participant
                      @hutch73959

Hi Ron,

Its nice to know someone else is down under.

Thank you for the info went to Bunnings got a tin of British Paints water based clear varnish 250 mils $11.10.

I am still filling the the hull hollows and dips ,when that is dry will think about the stocking maybe a black one as Ariel's hull was black!.the final coat will be mat finish apoxy paint rattle can.

Cheers,

Hutch.

PS Happy New Year to you all .

hutch
                      Participant
                        @hutch73959

Hi Guys

Update for my Ariel build

I have been busy building a model train layout for our local AMRE show that's held every June long weekend.

So far my better half has made the 21 sails these will have a rope sewn around the four sides on the edge so the sails can be fixed the spars and folded depending the the wind strength,with snap clips on the bottom corners to make this easy to do.

The hull is waiting on undercoat and top coat the sub deck is ready for planking with 3mm thin wood strips

The brass/wood winches,and brass /wood bilge pump kits are made, only the brass/wood windlass has not owing to the not all the wooden parts not being in the kit? this find a bit strange.

Hutch

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)