How to add photos to your posts

Advert

How to add photos to your posts

Home Forums Adding Images to Forum Posts How to add photos to your posts

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Colin Bishop
      @colinbishop34627

In response to member queries the following extract from the FAQ section is a reminder on how to add images to your posts.

Colin

How do I post photographs on the forum?
      You can add up to 12 photos to your post reply, these can be uploaded directly from your computer or phone in the post editor. Press the photo icon at the top of the post-reply box. You can also enter the URL of any photo on the internet to embed an image. Please note there is a 8Mb maximum file size restriction. Mobile is in beta mode and you may need to rotate your phone to landscape to see all of the upload options. Please note that images with an apostrophe in the filename won’t upload.

Advert
      Richard Simpson
      Participant
        @richardsimpson88330

I did discover by accident at one point that there is also a limit to the length of the file name.  I don’t know if you can find out what the limit is Colin or whether we should all just be aware of the fact that there is a limit.

Len Morris 2
        Participant
          @lenmorris2

The limit on Windows 10 is 256 characters.  It can be extended by going into the registry.

Len

Richard Simpson
          Participant
            @richardsimpson88330

That’s not what I am referring to Len.  There is a limit on the length of the file name that the picture database can accept for the forum.  This is nothing to do with Windows it is obviously the length of the field in the database that the forum uses for picture storage.  That limit is significantly less than 256 characters.  I discovered this once when trying to upload a picture and the system would not accept it.  I eventually tried reducing the length of the file name and it worked fine.

Len Morris 2
            Participant
              @lenmorris2

I suppose we await a reply from Colin. 🙂

Colin Bishop
                @colinbishop34627

I did send the webmaster a note but no reply. I don’t think it is worth worrying about, images should be supported by text and not need long names.

Colin

Richard Simpson
                Participant
                  @richardsimpson88330

I only posted the comment so that anyone who may be wondering why thier picture will not go into the gallery when everything looks to be OK with it might be caught out by a long file name.  I don’t think we need to do anything about it, just be aware.

Colin Bishop
                    @colinbishop34627

Just had a belated reply back from Andy, see below. I think it is self explanatory.

Colin

———

Hi Colin,

Sorry for the very late reply, I missed this email in my inbox somehow.

Technically there isn’t, however longer names can cause issues with some plugins as well as SEO.

Ideally they would be below 65 characters, but I would try and keep it as low as possible. Also, the character count adds to the overall URL, so the domain, plus the folder(s), plus the filename, and again that can cause issues for some plugins and database records if that gets too long.

What it doesn’t like is special characters or spaces, this can cause issues when the filename is sanitised, also capital letters can lead to future compatibility issues.

Good SEO usually means the filename would be relevant and unique also, so lots of files called image1.jpg isn’t idea, usually changing them to something relevant to a post or article helps, so something like model-steam-powered-boat-mar24-1.jpg, model-steam-powered-boat-mar24-2.jpg etc.

So in an ideal world:
                    -Lower case,
                    -No spaces
                    -No special characters
                    -Avoid really long filenames

WordPress does a good job of working with most filenames thrown at it, but the plugins that run over the top of it aren’t always as forgiving, so sticking to the above will help prevent issue when uploading, and with future compatibility.

Cheers,

Andy

Len Morris 2
                    Participant
                      @lenmorris2

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the follow up.  It made me smile!  I’m sure “Self” now understands everything.  As for me it was as clear as mud!  Not that it matters.  Never had a problem with the new system and it’s much quicker.

Len. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)