How great this site could be!

Advert

How great this site could be!

Home Forums Soapbox How great this site could be!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Paul T
    Participant
      @pault84577

Hello Everybody

Just for once I wish to be serious and ask you to take a look at our sister site http://www.militarymodelling.com  no for how to build tanks, but for how to build a site.

This is another of Vinnies responsibilities and I have been spending a little time exploring it over the past few days. The format is very similar to our own but what impresses me is the amount of member participation that takes place, the site is buzzing with activity and has new postings coming in every few seconds. Information and general chit chat is passed back and forth with amazing speed and it seems that everyone takes part.

I strongly urge you to visit the site just to see how active it is and then think how we can make our own site better by borrowing some of their ideas.

I know that I have, on occasion and in friendship, given Vinnie a hard time but now I can see what he is trying to atchieve and whilst I am not advocating taking up arms and joining the militaryboys I am suggesting that we as members of modelboats could do a lot more to help ourselves have a truly fantastic site

So make it a New Years resoultion to get involved and do your bit to raise the profile of this site.

All the best

Paul

Advert
      Manxman
      Participant
        @manxman

HI Paul,

Just had a quick look at the site – opened a month or so before ours, and yes it does have a lot of people participating in such a short time.  But I did find the scrolling of the pages jerky using my mouse wheel, that I just could not center a section for reading without a lot of hassle.  It annoyed me so much that I wont be going back – that said its probably down to the huge amount of responses put up.

Cheers – Ken

Vinnie Branigan
        Participant
          @vinniebranigan92297

Er…..actually Ken, that’s a function of your system. Nothing to do with that site or the number of responses.

You really should upgrade from Windows 3.1 y’know? 

Vinnie

David B7
          Participant
            @davidb7

hi all

first happy new year to you all

tried to put photo on hear but i failed as well  

Paul you have the knowledge we don’t have and this proves it only you can get a photo on to a post so fare

and its driving me nuts trying to do it i Even joined the military site to see if that helped

but no,

it would be easier to put photos wit text on hear, then you can explain any prob you may have better, a photo speaks a 1000 wards so thy say

you can put photos on on the military site OK

Vinnie please help us out hear

all the best

David

Vinnie Branigan
            Participant
              @vinniebranigan92297

Hmmm….okay let’s give this a go.

Firstly, you have to have uploaded your image to an album first.

Open two windows in your browser.  One with your reply box where you’re typing your post, and the other with your album picture from the gallery.

Right-click on your picture….NOT THE THUMBNAIL….the picture.  And  click on ‘Copy Image Location’.

Back in your reply, hit the little picture icon above it, and right click in the ‘url’ box, and choose ‘Paste’.

That should do it.

Vinnie 

Vinnie Branigan
              Participant
                @vinniebranigan92297

Is anybody going to give it a go?

Vinnie 

Paul T
                Participant
                  @pault84577

Works for me, all I did is copy an image off the internet and pasted it here.

http://www.cartoon-web.com/illus/marine/dangertug.gif

Vinnie is the lost looking one at the back

Vinnie Branigan
                  Participant
                    @vinniebranigan92297

Well we know you can do it smart alec!

Vinnie 

HS93
                    Participant
                      @hs9317166

I already had look at hs tugs… I also think you have to remove the first picture as well

Peter

Len Ochiltree
                      Participant
                        @lenochiltree67043

We don’t all understand tecky speak! whats a browser?, can you run through it as in Janet & John Book 1, I find it a pain having to make images smaller first.

Len. 

Paul T
                        Participant
                          @pault84577

Len Ochiltree
                          Participant
                            @lenochiltree67043

Paul,

Thats not the answer I was looking for!,

Len.

Vinnie Branigan
                            Participant
                              @vinniebranigan92297

Nope.   Can’t explain it any more simply than I have.  If I don’t assume a basic level of computer literacy I’d be explaining for six months.

Vinnie 

Len Ochiltree
                              Participant
                                @lenochiltree67043
                                http://www.modelboats.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/images/member_albums/2627/Fishtail_Rudder_&_Air_Boat_Nov_07_003.JPG

Does this work?

Len Ochiltree
                                Participant
                                  @lenochiltree67043

Now I have forgotten how I did it!!

Manxman
                                  Participant
                                    @manxman

Vinnie,

It may well be my computer, but I don’t have any problem scrolling on this web site (its sister) or any other.

Is anybody going to give it a go? – No – having a picture already in your album is fine, and judging by Paul & Lens efforts, work.

But when your trying to upload a picture in the forum to answer somebodies query, having them wait 2/3 days for it to appear album is not on.  We KNOW it does live instantly – you keep telling us it does – but in the real world it does not, as we have found out in the past.

I see you have not taken up my challenge though – to join and put a piccy up !

Best moan this year, so far! – Ken

Manxman
                                    Participant
                                      @manxman

Vinnie – sorry to bother you, me ole mate,

I’m stuffing myself with 8after mints, washed down with a drop of liquid gold in frustration here

Are you by any chance using a Sinclair ZX-81 computer ?,  The reason I ask is I’m using Windows XP with Explorer v6,  and I’ll be damned if I can find "Copy image location" anywhere in the menu.  I’ve done as asked, opened a 2nd window, located and opened an album, opened a picture and right clicked on it – and a menu opens, and the nearest I can see is Copy – not what you say – so where are you hiding it ?

Ken

Paul T
                                      Participant
                                        @pault84577

I can still do it 

Manxman
                                        Participant
                                          @manxman

No you can’t – thats just a link to another web site ! –

Len Ochiltree
                                          Participant
                                            @lenochiltree67043

Hi Ken,

All I saw was "copy", click on that and nowt seems to happen but , go back to your post you are typing and click "paste" and behold your photo appears (hopefully!)

Manxman
                                            Participant
                                              @manxman
                                              http://www.modelboats.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/images/member_albums/2522/LeCaux-12.jpg

Ok – done that Len and blow me its worked ! ……..

can’t leave yet, not without a but – OK, I can now get one up from an existing album, but does not solve the original problem – how to get one out of your folders and into a reply without sending it to your album and waiting till it decides to show.

and what happened there Paul, when I looked at your reply yesterday all that was showing was a link – today there’s a picture of the eastern ?we’ll see what happens here when I click the Submit button – fingers crossed

Ken

Vinnie Branigan
                                              Participant
                                                @vinniebranigan92297

Simple answer Ken.  There is no alternative.  You have to get it out of your folder and store it in cyberspace somewhere.  And again, you do not have to wait. Images go live instantly.

Vinnie 

Paul T
                                                Participant
                                                  @pault84577

Sorry Vinnie  

What started out as a thread showing everybody what this site could be has degenerated into a discussion about photos.

Whilst I am happy that we have all grasped the technology, I am disappointed that we have all missed the point of this thread.

Gary Radford
                                                  Participant
                                                    @garyradford51412

I am with you on this one Paul, I have been working on the Military modelling site for the same time I have been a member of this one (give or take a few days) and I am sorry to say, there is very little comparison. If anyone would care to look at MM they would soon find out that it is a hive of activity. You have only got to ask a question and you almost get an immediate answer.

Please don’t get me wrong, I am in no way running this site down, it also has some very good articles and comments, but as Paul said at the beginning, take a look and see how it could be.

Thanks.

Gaz.

P.S. I have never had any problems uploading pictures

Paul T
                                                    Participant
                                                      @pault84577

Hi Gary

And thank you for the comments I have been feeling that Vinnie and I have been pushing this uphill. You are right there is no comparison.

And sorry to say Vinnie but I posted a photo to the gallery this afternoon and it has stil not been listed (7 hours)

Paul

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)