HMS LINDISFARNE at long last

Advert

HMS LINDISFARNE at long last

Home Forums Scratch build HMS LINDISFARNE at long last

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    John W E
    Participant
      @johnwe

lind 2 (2).jpgHi all,

At long last, after 3 years, I finished my model of HMS LINDISFARNE at 1:48 scale. I managed to sail her at our local lake on Sunday.

She really did steam along well. Only thing I forgot was the amount of lead required for ballast cool but by I forget exactly how many kilos it was, but a good few. Anyway, well pleased with the way she sailed.

lind 2 (1).jpg

Advert
      John W E
      Participant
        @johnwe
        ashley needham
        Participant
          @ashleyneedham69188

Lovely model John. I have one, the of the first things I built when I was getting back into it. Kingston mouldings hull. Fabulously seaworthy, I have sailed mine at Littlehampton on the real sea and it coped wonderfully.

Sadly it’s not something I use now and was thinking of getting rid of it. Mind you, it’s nowhere near as nice as yours!

Ashley

Colin Bishop
            @colinbishop34627

Great model John, It's so nice when you actually finish one isn't it?

Colin

Richard Simpson
            Participant
              @richardsimpson88330

Beautiful job John. She looks to be sitting just right both at rest and sailing.

harry smith 1
              Participant
                @harrysmith1

Hi John

Great job and very nice finish !!!

I noticed under way the boat sits it self on the waterline.

Harry Smith

James Hill 5
                Participant
                  @jameshill5

It may have taken 3yrs John, but that is a great result. A really nice model.

Lets hope we have more blue sky days like the one your pictures were taken on.

Jim.

Colin Miller
                  Participant
                    @colinmiller68338

it looks great John, the Island class are good looking ships

The Long Build
                    Participant
                      @thelongbuild

Very Nice.

What is the Motor and power set up ?

John W E
                      Participant
                        @johnwe

hi there

The power system in the model : the motor is a Graupner Speed 600 E. Driving through an MFA 3/1 ratio belt drive gear box. It is a 5mm prop tube and the propeller is a 65mm 5 blade coarse brass prop that was originally put on during building. This was just to test the setup and it remained on the model right through to its final testing on the lake. I was originally going to change it to a 4 blade 65 mm diameter propeller, but, now I have see the results I am just going to leave well alone. There is a 10 amp fuse fitted and I thought I may have popped it when the prop went under full load but, it handled it quite well – so – I will need to do another bath test to see what amps it is actually pulling. The thing on top of the motor is a cooling fan on a heat sink which runs on 6 volt. There is another fan located next to the speed controller just to cool that down but, when I did trials on Sunday the motor and speed controller were barely warm after a good hour and quarter run. This entailed going full ahead/then straight into reverse/doing all the things to see how the model will react.

The other thing is, I used an idea which I read about using a giro that the aero guys for stabilising their planes and that controls the 2 stabilisers either side of the model. If I put my hand on heart – it is more of a gimmick than it is use. It just looks good when you hold the model out and rock it back and forwards and see the stabilisers working.

John

dscn1238.jpg

The Long Build
                        Participant
                          @thelongbuild

Thanks for the details..

James Phelan 1
                          Participant
                            @jamesphelan1

Congratulations on completing your model of HMS LINDISFARNE! It must feel amazing to finally see it sail after three years of hard work. Don't worry about the lead ballast; it's a minor oversight considering the overall success. Well done on the impressive sailing performance!

ashley needham
                            Participant
                              @ashleyneedham69188

Not tried moving stabilisers, but oversize bilge keels work really well on models.

rom memory….I think I had just two oversize stabilisers on mine, an

d the difference was noticeable if I sailed it without them

Ashley

neil hp
                              Participant
                                @neilhp

beautiful model. is it from the kit that was available in the 1980's,

I built mine as HMS Alderney with the ribs forward either side of the gun emplacement…..sailed beautifully especially rough weather.

your model brings back happy memories of building, sailing and reveiwing the model for the new sadly gone Radio Controlled Boat Moddeller

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325698540273?hash=item4bd52552f1:g:7UcAAOSwomdfdI4p&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAABAO7aL4%2Fw4agVY9GQNs9CrhjHyIDVGvLU4xZ1ET5XRNnVgxcD2YTSRho3gS6ZrV5U49iKxwQlWdY30%2F%2BonxYvYu%2Fn71F0bNQ8DUqrBSgpnMUEB3P7KavkkKLYD6VZ3bs4hoI85yAqH3n19uM8s7TR6%2FH73HGWWFxrRqDML7q4lWmIfFLlzyNpVw2dVwdUdCMe%2FDM9oX6qPryDHTqEBAXtiZ3zl62%2B0dQTo1LrmTkWR6obQ0DE%2Bb78OZKrkjk7fpxW8G0tPdxOJBgBGYJshdIs6snEZILisoi2v7E6gNgJAm4gI87jg1h9Cd4Ew13mWyPET5JFTV9FaJ9%2BD%2B82yXNLS64%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR87BnISdYg

Edited By Colin Bishop on 23/06/2023 17:55:32

John W E
                                Participant
                                  @johnwe

Hi everyone thank you for the kind comments on my model.

Neil, the link you have put on here – I am having difficulty making it work – however, I believe it is a link to the magazine that has the same article in where our Mr Colin Bishop does a review on the Maplins speed controller – where Colin was in his tearaway days yes that magazine, your article Neil was part of the information which I have gathered and used for my model of HMS Lindisfarne. She is a plank on frame hull which I have built all by myself laugh.

Couple of fittings from Sirmar, anchors, bulkhead speakers and bulkhead lights. I used a scale link brass etching for the railing stanchions which I found were too thin. So, I ended up soldering 2 together to make 1 usable 1 – so 102 single stanchions I ended up using 204 .

John

Colin Bishop
                                    @colinbishop34627

I have activated Neil's link and it seems to work if ypu click on it. That Maplin's unit was very good and suffered at least one inundation without problems. I have only relatively recently replaced it with a modern ESC.The boat itself is nearly 50 years old and still working!

Colin

gecon
                                    Participant
                                      @gecon

John, your Lindisfarne looks really great. Looked in your albums but only found two photos of her under sail. It would be nice to see more photos of her, taken from a lower angle perhaps?

George

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)