Guardsman build (but not as you know Jim)

Advert

Guardsman build (but not as you know Jim)

Home Forums Build Blogs Guardsman build (but not as you know Jim)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Fred Ellis 1
    Participant
      @fredellis1

Hi One & All

This is not a step by step build, just me rambling along in my own little world.

I had just finish the Dean's Wacht am Rhein, that had taken my about eighteen months to build, so a quick build was on the cards, now I have two boat's that need renovating along with about six hulls that need building, and in the six was the Guardsman.

Now I got the Guardsman back in Feb of this year (2021) and it looked as if it would take about six months to build as I had the vacformed hull, so hull building.

Fred

Advert
      Fred Ellis 1
      Participant
        @fredellis1

So the story starts

Fred Ellis 1
        Participant
          @fredellis1

Hi One & All

After a few days looking at the drawing, it was time to order the running gear, for this I used Model Boat Bits the order was for a 385 motor – 7" shaft – 35mm four blade brass prop and a medium brass rudder, and from the Component shop a six volt battery pack, all of these items got to me in about a week.

One thing that I did was not to remove the excess plastic from the hull, my thinking behind this was that I would have a stable platform for when I was cutting out the shaft tunnel and the rudder post.

When I was working there was a company next door to us that was a signee maker and when I was on late duty some times I would have a look in his scrap bin, the keel is made from some of this scrap.

dsc_3056.jpg1.jpg

I used some nylon bolts to add some fixing points to the keel.

dsc_3057.jpg1.jpg

I also removed part of the shaft tunnel just to make it easier later on, I also cut some dragon's teeth so that the glue would have a bit more area to fix too.

Fred Ellis 1
          Participant
            @fredellis1

Hi One & All

Well the keel is now all fixed in place

dsc_3058.jpg1.jpg

Just need to cut out the rest of the shaft tunnel and flare in the keel to the hull,

Having done that it was time I moved onto the rudder, you will have seen how I went about this in my other post in soapbox.

I fixed the shaft in place to see just how much room I had when the prop is fitted.

dsc_3095.jpg 1.jpg

I was happy with how it worked out, so I fixed the shaft in place inside the hull.

dsc_3097.jpg 3.jpg

I also tried out the locations of the motor and battery

s7300226.jpg1.jpg

s7300227.jpg1.jpg

That looks O.K. to me.

It was time to put the shaft covers in place, along with the rudder

s7300232.jpg1.jpg

s7300229.jpg1.jpg

s7300230.jpg1.jpg

s7300231.jpg1.jpg

That it for now, until the nest time

Fred

Richard Simpson
            Participant
              @richardsimpson88330

Very neat, nice job.

Fred Ellis 1
              Participant
                @fredellis1

Thank you Richard

Fred

Fred Ellis 1
                Participant
                  @fredellis1

Hi One & All

Just a quick update.

I have removed the waste plastic from the hull, I then set out the location of the side deck beams, for this is used 3 x 6mm strip, this was held in place by the clips from old trousers hangers,

s7300234.jpg1.jpg

s7300233.jpg1.jpg

I let the beams dry over night

Fred

Edited By Fred Ellis 1 on 08/08/2021 00:15:20

Fred Ellis 1
                  Participant
                    @fredellis1

Hi One & All

I am now back on the build.

With the beams now dry I moved onto cutting out the deck

s7300235.jpg1.jpg

s7300247.jpg1.jpg

After triming the deck to fit, I could then see if the rudder horn would fit under the deck.

As the Guardsman was first released in 1982 and the servo's were on the large side the rudder horn was placed above the deck, but using today's equipment I could now fit it all under the deck.

I must say that the rudder servo box is not my best. yes the rudder horn is a home made one from a 13 amp plug.

s7300257.jpg1.jpg

Fred

Fred Ellis 1
                    Participant
                      @fredellis1

Hi One & All

With regards to the deck, I cut the section that is over the rudder off, I will replace it with a grating later on in the build.

Some time back I found some magnetic clamps that are on Smart Models. co. uk web site, as in the past I have used right angle aluminium, the one's in the photos are the small set.

s7300263.jpg1.jpgs7300264.jpg1.jpg

Fred Ellis 1
                      Participant
                        @fredellis1

Hi One & All

Well its been a long since I posted anything with regards to this build.

The fact is I made a real pig's ear of it, as they say "its back to square one"

First I removed the deck, and I will start by make new deck beams & a new deck.

See you some time in the future soon I will post the updates.

Fred

Ray Wood 3
                        Participant
                          @raywood3

Hi Fred,

Welcome back , was getting the one piece deck to fit the issue ? I normally cut card templates and build the sub deck in sections round the hatch openings to make sure the deck fits as it should and plank it afterwards.

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson
                          Participant
                            @richardsimpson88330

Happens to us all Fred. As Ray suggests a lot of the job is thinking through the process to give you the best result in the easiest possible way. Even then it doesn't always go according to plan!

John W E
                            Participant
                              @johnwe

hi there as they say here is one I made earlier. If you have a look – I did have a problem with the rudder tiller arm protruding through the deck so to overcome this I raised the grating at the stern to cover this. I don't think it looks too bad – by the way this one is plank on frame which I made from the freebie plans.

004.jpg

Fred Ellis 1
                              Participant
                                @fredellis1

Hi Ray

My problem was that I put the deck beams all wrong, the deck was in the right place at the rear but much to high at the bow, so the main deck housing was O.K at the rear and to short at the front giving it a sloping look. if that make sense.

Fred

Fred Ellis 1
                                Participant
                                  @fredellis1

Richard just loving you article in Model Boats,

I measured down from the top of the gunwale plus the thickness of the deck to find the position for the deck beam, but when I had fixed the beams some how I had put an upward run going towards the bow, so that the deck housing looked as if it had broken its back.

John that is just what I have done with mine, I have put the grating up higher than on the drawing, the other thing I will have to remake is the wheel housing as it looks wrong with the door at the front.

Fred

John W E
                                  Participant
                                    @johnwe

Hi ya Fred

Like you I thought the door was in the wrong position and looked odd with the door at the front of the bridge – and so, I also fitted the door at the side. It seems logical. Then I came across a photograph on the web of the real vessel that this model was based on. Sure enough the door is on the front of the bridge.

Now a quick change of topic here – but – whilst I was searching for the image on the web of the Guardsman model – I came across a Canadian model boat plan Company. They have used an image of my model super imposed on the sea in their catalogue of plans. There are other images of other models (including more of mine) – they have never contacted me to ask my permission to use my model as an example of the finished boat.

I do know Sarik use a lot of my model boat images in their catalogue as advertisement for the plans – they did ask for my permission for this years ago.

I have to ask the question though – do this Canadian Company have permission from Sarik to produce their plans as well?

Sorry for the change of topic and my rant

John

John W E
                                    Participant
                                      @johnwe

boat3.jpg

Colin Bishop
                                        @colinbishop34627

The Canadian people are ripping off old plans. Many are no longer listed by Sarik but not all..

Colin

John W E
                                        Participant
                                          @johnwe

Hi there Colin, I wonder if we should all start putting a watermark on our photographs that we use on the forums?

John

Colin Bishop
                                            @colinbishop34627

Waste of time John. Just assume that anything you post online is in the public domain and can be reproduced anywhere at anytime. If you are not happy with that then just don't post it.

The other viewpoint is that that if someone finds your images interesting then just be pleased they are appreciated.

Colin

John W E
                                            Participant
                                              @johnwe

Hi Colin, you are right there.

John

Fred Ellis 1
                                              Participant
                                                @fredellis1

Hi John W E

With regards to the door, now I may have this all wrong but if you were to have it in the open position you would hit the hatch way, also in a heavy sea it would be a bit of a job to open, but by having it at the side all would be O.K

As for copyright on digital photos in the U.K they should ask you if it is O.K to use your photo, but that ends when you have passed away + 70 years, I have no idea how it stands in Canada.

I agree with Colin there are too many out there that are just copying old drawings with out asking or giving credit to the person that made the drawing in the first place.

Fred

John W E
                                                Participant
                                                  @johnwe

Hi there Fred

If you have a look at the photograph that I put on which the model is based upon, you will see that there is ample space for the door to open, if it were on the front of the bridge.

If the vessel were in rough weather, I would imagine the door would be closed and I would think there would be access to the bridge from either a hatch or a stairwell going down into the internals of the vessel – because – also at the rear of the vessel where the pilot is accommodated there are doors there – at the side of the cabin for access as well.

To change subject once more – I have had communication from the said Canadian Company and they are going to add my name to the photographs where appropriate. yes All's well that ends well.

John

Fred Ellis 1
                                                  Participant
                                                    @fredellis1

Hi John

That's good news with regards to the photos.

As regards to the wheel house door, when I measured up all the deck furniture positions there would be no way that the door could be opened,

Like I said it's back to square one for this one, new deck & new deck housings.

Fred

John W E
                                                    Participant
                                                      @johnwe

hi ya Fred

This door thing had me intrigued – so – I enlarged the photograph of the original Customs Launch to have a look to see if there was enough room for the door to open. Then the light bulb switched on in my heed – thinking what happens if the door slides instead of swings open. There is only one problem with this, on close examination of the original photograph, as there appears to be a small box on the front of the bridge which looks as though it contains binoculars so, it would obstruct the door from sliding along.

Back to square one then.

Don't forget though, this model is only a semi-scaled model – so Vic may have had his sizes slightly out.

John

Edited By John W E on 17/06/2022 16:12:39

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)