Greek Fishing Boat

Advert

Greek Fishing Boat

Home Forums Build Blogs Greek Fishing Boat

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Colin Bishop
      @colinbishop34627

In 2021 I reviewed a kit from Navarino Models in Greece of a traditional Chaniotiki Gaita fishing boat. The model was too small to be anything other than a static exhibit but the instructions included drawings of the frames and other components. I am now in the process of using these to build a larger working version using the original hull design but adding a modern superstructure.

In this topic I will be posting  some progress photos which will be included in an article for the magazine which will be published when I manage to complete the model.

Chaniotiki Gaita

The Navarino Models kit

Fishing Boat (3)

A typical full size boat. They are all different in their detailed layout and their colourful paint schemes so the modeller has a lot of scope for finishing a model.

(DTR)IMG_4912

Construction commences.

(DTR)IMG_5207

Hull largely complete.

Colin

Advert
      Colin Bishop
        @colinbishop34627

Steering detail.

(DTR)IMG_5014

Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

I have been working on the cabin. It needed quite a bit of research to hit on a design which is realistic, practical and in line with what you see in Greek Harbours.

Colin

(DTR)IMG_5238

(DTR)IMG_5237

James Hill 5
          Participant
            @jameshill5

Hi Colin,

Just been looking at your Greek fishing boat. An attractive model and certainly colourful.

What caught my eye in particular was your steering system. Its almost identical to the idea I had with my Puffer. They were steered by chain and I wanted to try and do the same. I handt worked out yet how to fix the chain to the servo but I have the tube and I`ve just bought some chain. Even the  rudder on your boat is of a similar style to the Puffer. It all looks as though it would be a smooth movement when working.

Thanks for posting the picture,

Jim.

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

Hi James,

Thanks for the kind words.

I have fixed my chain using split pins (very small ones in my case). It’s best to treat the servo end as a fixed connection and the rudder end can then be adjusted as that is where you will need to do it.

I threaded the chain onto the split pin to make an end link then closed up the pin , pushed it through the servo arm hole and opened it out underneath. I then trimmed off the  ends of the pin.

The rudder has a tube running through it at right angles with small eyebolts glued into the ends. I then used the same split pin method to secure the chain to the eyebolts. By making the chain a bit longer than needed you can easily adjust the lengths by putting the pin through whichever links are needed to get everything straight. Once it is all set up you can cut off the excess chain although I am intending leaving a few links dangling in case further adjustment is needed n the future.

This setup is the classic ‘closed loop’ servo connection but using chain rather than cord or rod. It just needs a free run through the tubes. It worked OK when I rigged it up with the radio temporarily.

Colin

(DTR)IMG_5241

James Hill 5
              Participant
                @jameshill5

Hi Colin,

Many thanks for the explanation and added picture. I look forward to hopefully producing something similar.

Would I be right in thinking that the type change in my post was connected to the system change over? Just curious in case it was my laptop.

Many hanks,

Jim.

Colin Bishop
                  @colinbishop34627

No idea Jim, not seen that before.

Colin

Len Morris 2
                  Participant
                    @lenmorris2

Hi Colin, agree with Jim, your rudder arrangement is just like a Puffer.  Might pinch your idea if you don’t mind.  What were the Greeks doing on the Clyde! :).

Len

Colin Bishop
                      @colinbishop34627
                      On Len Morris 2 Said:

Hi Colin, agree with Jim, your rudder arrangement is just like a Puffer.  Might pinch your idea if you don’t mind.  What were the Greeks doing on the Clyde! :).

Len

Just sticking their oar in I think….

Colin

Colin Bishop
                        @colinbishop34627

Some further progress with the owner…

Colin

(DTR)IMG_5257

Richard Simpson
                        Participant
                          @richardsimpson88330

Lovely job.  That steering set up is spot on, realistic and authentic.

Colin Bishop
                            @colinbishop34627

Thanks Richard,

It’s enjoyable building the model in broadly the same way as the full size boat. The basic hull design is very common and is used for boats of many different sizes but after that no two seem to be the same. They are all finished in different layouts internally, the main compartments being the fish hold, engine and the cabin/cuddy which may be perched on the deck or partly set into the hull.

The colour schemes are innumerable and are personal to the owners. There are some great illustrations on Google:

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=581698549&sxsrf=AM9HkKlLY4Viy0dftaCtE2vtG5XLNfILow:1699796562493&q=greek+fishing+boats&tbm=isch&source=univ&fir=l1GPlEPMrlv0UM%252CScMC3NJXYub6rM%252C_%253BwxkqHMYdcS9fNM%252ChrqsEqOMBFmMfM%252C_%253BoKKMu-lq0EAUMM%252CD1Tc_Dg3QRariM%252C_%253BZyrYNEF2bNaTvM%252CogGm6JmgcHjsMM%252C_%253BRi4LeK1xKe7IyM%252CmEIXxeGHenEVcM%252C_%253BTMIDcWhfjm2ogM%252CxtaiR3f9MRgjdM%252C_%253BryRd0wM17QcdxM%252Cc0fj8tWosYz1kM%252C_%253BNHCPm7fyq3umYM%252Cd-Si6vZkcp1Q9M%252C_%253BUx5tvmVSq-DxEM%252CmRVn_yUGzEoWpM%252C_%253By8X3bxEV1__7QM%252C2azBgDixvrGfLM%252C_%253BUjt8l0vi1xWzWM%252C3eP4DXzSYrQ6iM%252C_%253BSBDIcNuETRwX-M%252CyxTk3Q2wIU0CNM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kSjjgOJ_byF50iFAqkmAqiYBqxenw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwify7DSy76CAxW9WEEAHdMqDQ8Q7Al6BAgYEGc&biw=1772&bih=939&dpr=1

There is more detail on them than immediately meets the eye and checking and researching is needed to get the size right relative to the boat. Mine is 1:16 scale. I spent an hour or so going through all the photos on Google looking for indications of the deck planking width. The deck is frequently painted and covered with tarpaulin or even old carpet to protect it from fish innards etc. but some boats do have exposed planking. Not much luck online but I remembered photographing some traditional boats in the Chania Maritime Museum in Crete back in 2010 and there was the answer.

Although you do see some weatherworn boats, most are beautifully kept and painted by their owners so mine will be as seen immediately after its winter overhaul. Some typical boats I photgraphed below.

Colin

Fishing Boat (2)Greek Fishing Boat (9)

Chris Fellows
                            Participant
                              @chrisfellows72943

Yes, thanks for the info. on the steering Colin. I was wondering how to do it on my Faun build and something based on your method gives me food for thought.

Chris

James Hill 5
                              Participant
                                @jameshill5

Very nice pictures Colin.

I`m sure all the colourful paint schemes reflect the part of the world they are in, warm and sunny.

Jim.

Colin Bishop
                                  @colinbishop34627

The boat is now close to completion (hopefully)

Some of the fittings below. A mixture of scratch built and fishy things from Macs Mouldings.

Colin

(DTR)IMG_5270

Colin Bishop
                                    @colinbishop34627

After a bit of a break due to the notorious ‘coughing bug’, progress has resumed. The hull is now complete except for some outstanding detail as is the deckhouse. The R/C is all installed and working and initial bath trials have been successful. The RX is mounted vertically to fit inside the cabin to keep the aerial above the waterline. The boat is very stable. There is not actually all that much free space in the hull. The silver coin next to the battery pack is an old Greek Drachma left over from a holiday before the Country adopted the Euro.

Steering linkage seems to be working very well and the boat is responsive to the rudder, as it should be with one of that size. There is a brass pin that passes through the transom to prevent the rudder lifting off its mountings. It can be withdrawn to dismount the rudder.

Colin

(DTR)IMG_5309(DTR)IMG_5306

(DTR)IMG_5305

Richard Simpson
                                    Participant
                                      @richardsimpson88330

Lovely neat planking Colin.  I like that it hasn’t got any caulking.  I sometimes think we get too wrapped up in caulking when often decking doesn’t actually have any.  That softwood looks absolutely spot on.

Colin Bishop
                                        @colinbishop34627

Thanks Richard,

No, the original boats don’t appear to have been caulked on deck.  In most cases the decks have been painted but there are a number of examples where the wood has been left untreated. Most construction was in a resinous variety of pine which is durable and resistant to insect attack. I think the wood deck makes a nice contrast with the paint scheme. The planks are cut from thin spruce sheet from SLEC and matt varnished.

Colin

Chris Fellows
                                        Participant
                                          @chrisfellows72943

Looking good Colin.

I haven’t used caulking on my builds even though the full-sized boats use it. At small scale I think it can sometimes look too prominent and just having a joint is sufficient for me.

Chris

Colin Bishop
                                            @colinbishop34627

Almost there now! Some of the extra detail temporarily in place and awaiting fishing net and cylindrical fenders. I have made some globular fenders out of large wooden beads. The Bruder figure will be repainted.

The model fish and lobsters are from Macs Mouldings. The ‘oil drum’ on the foredeck conceals the main switch. The Greek flag was copied off the internet and processed in Photoshop Elements and printed out in mirror images which ere stuck together and proofed with  DeLuxe Sand ‘n Seal.

I decided to go for just the single net handling drum as the boat is relatively small.

It is quite surprising just how much detail these little boats can feature.

Colin

(DTR)IMG_5313(DTR)IMG_5316(DTR)IMG_5318

Richard Simpson
                                            Participant
                                              @richardsimpson88330

Very neat and tidy Colin.  Looking forward to seeing how it performs.

Colin Bishop
                                                @colinbishop34627

Finished the model tonight. Attached is an interim photo in the garage while I’m waiting for some sunshine to get some proper photos ashore and afloat for the magazine article. It has been an enjoyable build.

Colin

GFB Finished (3)

James Hill 5
                                                Participant
                                                  @jameshill5

A very nice build Colin. Such an attractive boat representing the warm part of the world it’s based.

Jim.

Colin Bishop
                                                    @colinbishop34627

Thanks Jim, it was a bit of a side project really but I’m pleased with the result.

Colin

ashley needham
                                                    Participant
                                                      @ashleyneedham69188

Yes very nice Colin. Cabin just so..Nice size and style

Can’t wait for you to bring it down to Bushy and we can give it a good thrashing to bed things in…

Ashley

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)