Great Eastern

Advert

Great Eastern

Home Forums Scratch build Great Eastern

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 140 total)
  • Author
    Bob Abell 2
    Participant
      @bobabell2

Thanks Daryl and Paul………You`ve put me onto some super material……..not got the simulator working yet but it looks wonderful………the graphix look awesome and that model is simply fantastic……………..mine will not be of such great quality!

Advert
      Paul T
      Participant
        @pault84577

No Problem

Archibald Mainstream
        Participant
          @archibaldmainstream22940

look forward to seeing her built, I’m glad to help.

Merry christmas

Daryl

Nicholas Aquilina
          Participant
            @nicholasaquilina88791

Hi,

First of all hope that every one had a nice christmas.

Please can any one could help me. I am looking to buy detailed drawing to try and build myself a wooden Tug boat or Lifeboat, I will be very glad if one could help me from where I can buy the drawings and may be with some information too.

Thanks.

Mike Pendlebury
            Participant
              @mikependlebury45959

For lifeboat plans write to the Engineering Department at the RNLI Headquarters in Poole asking for their current list and prices.

The Engineering Secretary
              Royal National Lifeboat Institution
              West Quay Road
              Poole
              Dorset
              BH15  1HZ

regards    Mike   

Manxman
              Participant
                @manxman

Hi Bob,

Just had a quick look at the album, coming along nicely, and read your comment on having the paddles freewheeling – that is a brilliant idea.  Makes the installation so much easier,  you could now have the two paddles connected by a single, straight through axle,  no motors/gearboxes/Esc’s/batteries etc – and the saving on cash/brain strain and maintenance would be substantial.

With regards to motor for the 3" prop,  I’m using Power 1ooo motors in my Pacific Light and intend using one in my Imara.  Big and slow revving.  You may even already have one of these, as they are used by the aero boys, in the guise of starter motors for their nitro engines (cheaper to buy as a starter). The downside is you have to fit the suppressor inside! – plenty of room.

Cheers – Ken

Keep up the great work… 

Bob Abell 2
                Participant
                  @bobabell2

Hello Ken………Thanks for dropping in

You don`t think I`d adopt the so called good idea do you!………It is a good suggestion but I like the idea of powered paddles……….you wanna see the wake coming off Jeanie Deans at full ahead to realise that powered paddles are essential. It would be nice to see the effect of prop only though.

Keep dropping in……ask a few questions……predict a few disasters etc

The next piccy in the pipe line is five planks aside stage

Regards   Bob

Manxman
                  Participant
                    @manxman

Hi Bob,

Ok, point taken, you like the hard route.  Are you going to make the paddles, as the commercial ones I’ve seen are Graupners and these look to be a little on the small side and quite expensive.

Ken

Bob Abell 2
                    Participant
                      @bobabell2

Hello Ken agen

The Great Eastern didn`t have the "feathering" type of paddles……probably because they were 56 feet in diameter!……..they also adjusted the paddle positions to smaller radii to allow for different hull displacements…….clever…..eh?

The original paddles will be quite difficult to make……..they look so flimsy!

Ducky
                      Participant
                        @ducky

Hi Bob

What kind of ballast are you going to use in such a big boat,or are you going to incorporate your Ajustabell dumbell type, I suppose if your answer is YES you could make the one you’ve got interchangabell and just add or subtract the lead.

With using that system you will end up looking like the terminator. "I’ll be Back"

Peter

Bob Abell 2
                        Participant
                          @bobabell2

Hello Peter

That`s a good question Ducky!………………at the moment, I`ll be using the JD keel weight……..because it`s failsafe……….but I was hoping to launch the "Big Ship" in true Brunel style…….down a ramp and …….Splahdoosh!……into the watter!…….Would look very splendid with me wearing a Stove pipe hat and smoking a cigar!……….and possibly a few of our MB readers may be present too?

Ducky
                          Participant
                            @ducky

The stove pipe hat would be a bit heavy if its Plank and frame,which seems to be your chosen method of building,perhaps it would be more suitabell just this once in

PLASTICARD !!,  I know I’ll have to stop talking dirty or I’ll be thrown off the web

Ducky
                            Participant
                              @ducky

Hi Bob

Keeping a close eye on your build,13 planks on already Hey! At this rate you will be finished in no time.

What type of adhesive do you use ? as by the pictures in your album the hull looks very neat and clean, I think I would be all stuck up by now,or is it just your experience showing through??? you must have planked a few boats by now

Bob Abell 2
                              Participant
                                @bobabell2

Hello Peter

I`m using weatherproof PVA……..I`ts good stuff and it dries with a clear finish.

On the 15th plank at the moment and have discovered one former is a bit too wide!…….This calls for some surgery!……..Going to have to saw all the way down the former on both sides, with a hand saw……….not for the feint hearted!……..it`s worth doing, as it is the only offending former.

Ducky
                                Participant
                                  @ducky

Hi Bob

I see by your latest gallery pix’s that you’ve solved your problem with the offending former,good on yeah!!!

But you say that it was " Spoiling the lines of the ship" and not being into model boating for that long its always made me wonder when its "a boat" or "A ship" anyone got any ideas for a land based novice

Bob Abell 2
                                  Participant
                                    @bobabell2

Happy New Year Ducky!………and all my friends on the forum

I was told that if a vessel carried lifeboats……..then it`s classed as a ship!

Any takers?

Manxman
                                    Participant
                                      @manxman

Happy New Year Peter,

Its like the old question, which came first the chicken or the egg. 

I’ve always assumed it was a question of size.  had a quick search of the web and found a few answers to start you of with – take your pick !

When Paul & Bob get over their hangovers we’ll get nearer to the answer …

Web Answers ….

It’s a question of size. You can put a boat on a ship, but you can’t put a ship on a boat

Why not look it up in a dictionary ? I found these definitions. Ship: "a large boat for travelling on water, esp. across the sea." Boat: "a small vehicle for travelling on water".

A boat is defined as a vessel with a single unbroken deck above the water line. Hence a submarine or small trawler is a "boat" whereas a large cross-channel ferry is a "ship".

Not sure about some of these. Many of the ‘small ships’ from Dunkirk would fit on some of the things described as ‘boats’ at the Boat Show these days. My own 7m ‘boat’ is a ‘ship’ and is registered as such on the Small Ships’ Register (SSR). BUT she was moved on a river boat a few years ago. So a ship CAN go on a boat!

With regard to motorized craft, a ship is a large vessel intended for oceangoing or at least deep-water transport, and a boat is anything else.

Cheers – Ken

Manxman
                                      Participant
                                        @manxman

Morning Bob – Happy New Year

You managed to jump in there whilst I was typing the previous reply.

No – I can’t accept that as the answer – All of the Isle of Man ferries (except the cats) carry lifeboats and are regarded as BOATS.

I can see this debate going for a while…

Cheers – Ken

Bob Abell 2
                                        Participant
                                          @bobabell2

Happy New Year Ken!

That Ducky chap certainly has put the Manx cat amongst the pigeons!

Ducky
                                          Participant
                                            @ducky

Happy new year everyone,

Thought that would get you all going, and talking about pigeons "Why don’t you see any baby ones???"

And to more serious matters,does’nt Bob the Builder crack on with his building,cant wait for the next pictures!!!!!!

Cheers

Peter

Manxman
                                            Participant
                                              @manxman

I’ve heard this one explained before, on the radio, Peter

You do see them – its just they are almost fully grown before leaving the nest …

Ken

Ducky
                                              Participant
                                                @ducky

Hi Bob

To get back to your build of the Great Eastern!! Ive just been looking at your build gallery and can’t get over how quickly you’ve arrived at your present position in the build and it just looks better and better as the days pass!

Its no wonder your nickname is Bob the Builder in our club,I think it should be changed to Bruno the Builder

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z35/veldas/brunel_1.jpg?t=1199868686

How about that then, Bob!!

Ducky

Bob Abell 2
                                                Participant
                                                  @bobabell2

Very pleased that you`re keeping up with progress, Peter…………..it`s nice to recieve a few comments now and than.

I`m now working on the paddle boxes…..from photographs and it`s amazing how many different versions there are on the web.

Some models are nothing like the real thing……….and I too will have to join the club!

As for your latest clever posting………….sorry Sunshine!……….nowt coming through!

Ducky
                                                  Participant
                                                    @ducky

Hi Bob

Your paddle boxes are looking good and as there are so many pictures and painting around of this ship most people would’nt know if yours is correct or not, The general public round the lake at our club just like to see a nicely presented model that goes well and the addition of smoke,lights and sound add to the picture !! so who cares if its not quite true to scale, I say, "If it looks right it generally is right"

Bob Abell 2
                                                    Participant
                                                      @bobabell2

Thank you young Pete………………looking at the models on the net of the Great Eastern……there`s no two models alike!

Some have rear windows…..some ain`t!

Some have cabins around the funnels

Some have cabins around the masts

Some have sheds at the stern covering the ships wheels…….some ain`t!

Etc…….etc!

Bob

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 140 total)