Glue

Advert

Glue

Home Forums Scratch build Glue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Platt
    Participant
      @johnplatt24069

Hi guys. 

I have built a scratch built model of a 1960’s ship. 

The main hull is built from wood and filler.

I now wish to cover the hull with a plastic material which will have all the original rivets etc.

So, the question is….. What glue can I use to bond these two materials together giving me about 3 minutes manipulation time and that will be 100% water proof? 

Curing time is not important.

Thank you for your thoughts.

John.

PS. I built the first model submarine that submerged and fired torpedoes under radio control in the 1970’s. I got several free holidays at Bream Sands from MAP and could tell you many funny stories about other models that sank.

Advert
      Manxman
      Participant
        @manxman

Hi John,

You do not mention which type of plastic material you are going to use, so have a look at the Model Tug Forum – http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=181.0 – I have a chart here listing various glues.  I can not take the credit for the list, but I picked this up from another site a while back and can not remember the original site – my apologies to the original author.

Hope its of some help – Ken

John Platt
        Participant
          @johnplatt24069

Hi Ken.

Thank you for your reply.

I visited the list you suggested but it didn’t quite answer my needs. 

The type of plastic has not been decided yet. It must be pretty thin (0.5 mm?), be able to take a model rivet punch impression without breaking the surface and be readily able to be stuck to the wood when I have found the correct glue.

Thank you once again.

John.

mick
          Participant
            @mick

hiya john mick here

look under   plastidip.co.uk this might help your problem  they have some amazeing

stuff hope this helps you  

Telstar
            Participant
              @telstar

Hi John

This question was raised on a different forum, For covering wooden superstructure with plasticard. One reply there was the use of double sided tape. apparently in the motor trade badges and trim is fitted to bodywork useing double sided, it  is strong and weatherproof. 

Cheers Tom

Paul Freshney
              Participant
                @paulfreshney24971

Experimentation might be advisable. I have used superglue successfully, but you only have moments to get it right. Evo-Stick also works, but again zero manipulation time. How about the glue that aeromodellers use for gluing clear canopies in place?

Manxman
                Participant
                  @manxman

The canopy glue mentioned by Paul is "Formula 560" made by Pacer Technology – available from almost all model shops – this is white when applied but dries clear.

Ken

John Platt
                  Participant
                    @johnplatt24069

Which glue

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)