GBR 59

Advert

GBR 59

Home Forums Sailing Models GBR 59

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    John Watson 6
    Participant
      @johnwatson6
      Advert
      John Watson 6
      Participant
        @johnwatson6

20191110_171017.jpg20191110_171000.jpg20191110_170954.jpg20191110_170933.jpgHi all I recently purchased a new yacht and I would like to try to identify the design. It is a 1 metre long and has 3 sets of sails 2 sets marked GBR59 and another set marked K281. There is also a Housemartin sails logo in one corner. It I'd well made of wood construction and had a distinctive construction of the keel and rudder being made up of alternate light and dark wood which must be someones trademark style. There is a sticker on the rear of the boat showing BATH MBC . It is an old boat but fitted out with RC gear. I intend to restore and pleasure sail it but would like to know the model.

Any help appreciated many thanks John. 20191110_170922.jpg

Tim Rowe
        Participant
          @timrowe83142

Welcome John

It is almost certainly an International One Metre (IOM). Since becoming internationally registered in 1988 it has grown to be the most numerous rc model racing yacht class.

From what we can see in the photo, the rig looks good.

There are a number of plans for home build IOMs with Sarik Hobbies and others from a variety of sources if you Google.

There is some freedom of design in the hull, for example the beam is not controlled but the rigs are effectively one-design and have to made to close limits. The rules are the "closed" type which means that something is only permitted if the rules say so.

They are great boats to own and sail and I have a later model called a Topiko. Currently having a bit of a refit.

Have fun

Tim R

John Watson 6
          Participant
            @johnwatson6

Thanks for the Reply Tim. It is going to get a refit and a tidy up as not keen on the blue paint and there is not a lot of cross beams on the internal structure so may redo the deck.and add a bit more strength. I only intend to use it for pleasure sailing so not too concerned about a few extra ounces . Would love to know the design will have to trawl the web. Thanks John.

Gareth Jones
            Participant
              @garethjones79649

Hi John,

The convention for sail numbers is for registered yachts to carry the last two digits of their class registration number on the sails. However there is no guarantee that the sails you have were the original ones. If the yacht was ever registered it should have an MYA registration number, usually 4 digits, clearly marked inside the hull either by painting, bonding or moulding in. The number should also be marked on the outside of the hull, usually on the deck, but there is no requirement for these external markings to be indelible. If you can find the number you could try contacting the IOM class registrar to see if the original certificate can be traced. Contact details are on the MYA website.

Unfortunately I am not an expert on IOM designs and they all look much the same to me so I can't identify the design of your yacht.

Gareth

Tim Rowe
              Participant
                @timrowe83142

Hi John

The closest I can come to at the moment on the design is a Nimbus and the plans for this are available from Sarik Hobbies.

See what you think.

Tim R

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)