Full Speed to Full Stop

Advert

Full Speed to Full Stop

Home Forums Gallery Full Speed to Full Stop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Queequeg Quint
    Participant
      @queequegquint38270

The Ambassador shows off its full speed to full stop ability. Special thanks to a 70mm 5-blade brass prop and the MFA Como 850 with 2:1 belt-drive reduction.

Edited By Queequeg Quint on 11/07/2018 02:03:40

Edited By Queequeg Quint on 11/07/2018 02:04:15

Advert
      Queequeg Quint
      Participant
        @queequegquint38270

R/C Novi Boat Ambassador demonstrates full speed to full stop.

ashley needham
        Participant
          @ashleyneedham69188

Q. Impressive performance on that geared 850. Nothing like a big prop to get some serious `bite` in the water. Ashley

Queequeg Quint
          Participant
            @queequegquint38270
            Posted by ashley needham on 13/07/2018 08:10:45:

Q. Impressive performance on that geared 850. Nothing like a big prop to get some serious `bite` in the water. Ashley

Previously I had a 4-blade prop. When I switched to 5-blade, I lost a little bit of top speed, but gained quicker acceleration and quicker stopping ability. I might try to jam a 75mm blade in there next!

Former Member
            Participant
              @formermember67585

[This posting has been removed]

Richard Simpson
              Participant
                @richardsimpson88330

My first ever ship was a, small by today's standards, container ship with a large slow speed diesel engine and a fixed shaft and solid prop. Manoeuvring speed was 80 rpm and full sea speed was around 120 rpm. Above 80 rpm to either increase or decrease the speed the rate of change of revs had to be no more than 1 rpm per minute. Done by an automatic load increase or decrease system.

Consequently to slow down from full sea speed to a dead stop would take 40 minutes to get from 120 rpm to 80 rpm followed by 80 rpm to zero, which would take around 20 minutes so a total of an hour to bring the ship to a stop!

There was a crash stop for emergencies of course but even that would take around five minutes from full sea speed.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)