Free to good home – Model Thames Sailing Barge

Advert

Free to good home – Model Thames Sailing Barge

Home Forums Collectors’ corner Free to good home – Model Thames Sailing Barge

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Anne Cadwallader
    Participant
      @annecadwallader70259

I am happy to give my Father's beloved Thames Sailing Barge to anyone who could offer it a good home. Please respond so I can provide my email address privately and arrange collection or how to get it to you safely. It's important to me that the receiver genuinely wants the boat which my Father cherished. Annedads thames sailing barge.jpg

Advert
      Anne Cadwallader
      Participant
        @annecadwallader70259

Wooden Thames Sailing Barge

ashley needham
        Participant
          @ashleyneedham69188

Hi Anne. You are not alone in trying to get unused and cherished boats to a new home.

It may help if you were say roughly where you live, as it’s no good someone fancying the boat if you are in Cornwall and they are in Scotland.

I myself have recently “rescued” a large destroyer, which fortunately lived a mere 8 miles away from me.

Ashley

Kev.W
          Participant
            @kev-w

I would like to help this boat survive, but as Ashley states, it depends where it is currently berthed, if by chance it is anywhere within 50 miles of Lincoln, I would be willing to collect or meet & give her a new home.

Just finished my latest 'rescue', it's now awaiting sea trials.

dsc_0004.jpg

Edited By Kip Woods on 12/01/2021 11:18:07

Anne Cadwallader
            Participant
              @annecadwallader70259

Well, I can beat all that as I live in Belfast! I would imagine postage or delivery of some kind from here would be prohibitively expensive, although I would be happy to pay a reasonable amount. I'll go and check to find out what kind of charge there would be to get it to the Lincoln area and let you know here. I do occasionally travel to GB (Harwich) by road and ferry so the best thing might be to wait until then, although Covid means this could be later in 2021.

Colin Bishop
                @colinbishop34627

Safely packing and delivering a model like that by courier would be very risky.

Colin

Anne Cadwallader
                Participant
                  @annecadwallader70259

Thanks for the warning.

Kev.W
                  Participant
                    @kev-w

I would hate to think what damage would occur in the hands of a courier, plus the cost would be an 'arm & a leg'.

If someone nearer you took up the offer it would be better, but if not, I could meet you somewhere near Leicester, on your visit to Harwich later in the year if your route takes you near there.

I really would advise against letting a third party transport it.

Colin Bishop
                      @colinbishop34627

Yes, as Kip says, assume that you have to pack it securely enough to withstand being dropped, tossed around or crushed under other packages. Impossible really. Also insurance is useless as if it does get damaged, who will mend it? All you would get is a nominal payout.

Much better to wait until you can deliver it yourself.

Colin

Ray Wood 3
                      Participant
                        @raywood3

Hi Anne,

Are there any Maritime Heritage Museums in Northern Ireland who would be glad to put it on display ?

I have passed on various old family railway artifacts to preserved railways, saves my kids putting them in the skip !!

Kind Regards

Ray

neil hp
                        Participant
                          @neilhp

hello Anne………..i dont want it myself, but if you know anyone who sails regularly on the Stena line ships from Belfast to either Heysham or Liverpool and could bring it over, i would pick it up from either of those two ports for the cost of fuel from fleetwood and then store it until someone wants it………..if that is any good to anyone.

gecon
                          Participant
                            @gecon

Hello Anne,

I used to have a farm on the Stoney road, Dundonald. Travelled often by car to Cairnryan. Still know two people who used that route. Don't know if they travel now due to Covid, but I'll try to find out. It may be possible for one of them to drive down the M6 in Neil's direction.

I would think that when even more people are vacinated, the chances of a delivery vehicle will increase. You may be able to ask local removal firms about traffic to Cairnryan or Liverpool. Maybe the TSB could sit on the front seat of a removal van -with soft foam cushion and seatbelt!

You could ask at the Titanic Museum if they are interested? Tell them that you had contact from a chap in Norway who's grandfather worked as a painter and decorater on the Titanic! It won't impress them but it'll give you something to say.

Best of luck,

George

Ray Wood 3
                            Participant
                              @raywood3

Hi George,

That's quite an old thread you and Neil are responding too , we all made suggestions a couple of months ago !

The Fisher is looking great BTW, not so sure about the plastic tube round the shrouds ??

Regards Ray

gecon
                              Participant
                                @gecon

Hi Ray, yes I realise that, I was actually responding to Neil's offer yesterday, to look after the TSB if someone could get it to the 'mainland'.

I agree about the shroud covers, and thank you for mentioning it, a bit too big and ugly for scale but they need to stay there while I test sail control etc. "never mind the quality, feel the width". Neither do I like hiding the nice steel rigging screws!.

I am saving up my biro (clear plastic) inner-tubes in the hope that they will be closer to scale. They will only cover the wire and not the rigging screws. The wire guards at each chain plate were installed as an after thought and it may be that these will suffice without needing shroud covers.

Now that I have fitted the stanchions, I see that these too may help to avoid fouling of the genoa sheet. I'll do some refinements to this and few other blunders when all the component parts are installed.

You'll be up for your second 'jab' soon? My wife had her 1st on wednesday.

Have a good weekend,

George

Edited By gecon on 26/03/2021 11:26:05

Anne Cadwallader
                                Participant
                                  @annecadwallader70259

Thanks everyone. I am grateful for your support in trying to save the TSB that my father, Peter, was so fond of .

(Note: I initially made the mistake of replying to the email alerts so apologies about that. I now realise this is how to do it.)

I am hoping, once I can, Covid permitting, to travel by ferry to visit my cousin for a weekend – he lives in Birkenhead.

Once restrictions are lifted, I will also make inquiries about getting it across to England with removal companies etc.

It would be appropriate if I brought it across the Irish Sea to Liverpool/Birkenhead as the cousin I would be visiting is the son of my father's brother – which sounds complicated but isn't!

Thanks again and I will keep all these notes for when we are allowed to move about again.

Anne

Colin Bishop
                                    @colinbishop34627

Hi Anne,

Yes, best to wait until travel restrictions ease and the logistics become more practical.

Colin

Anne Cadwallader
                                    Participant
                                      @annecadwallader70259

Hallo Everyone, Anne Cadwallader here again. I am finally planning a trip to England and could drop the Thames Sailing Barge off with anyone who wanted it or who knows where it will find a safe berth.

My plan is to take the Belfast-Birkenhead ferry in early January and then make my way down south through the Midlands to East Anglia (Harwich) and thence on to London, Guildford, Southampton etc.

If there is anyone along that route who is interested, please let me know. My email is [email protected] or leave a post here.

Thanks. Anne

ashley needham
                                      Participant
                                        @ashleyneedham69188

If, and only if, anyone was interested in the boat but does not live near Anne’s predicted route To meet the Jan2022 likely visit, I wouldn’t mind care taking the vessel for collection by someone later on and by that I mean a few months. I am not that far from Guildford and a drive out of London towards Guildford would likely pass near me in any case.

However, unlike the big destroyer which I am keeping hold of, I am not interested in holding on to the barge permanently.

Ashley

neil hp
                                        Participant
                                          @neilhp

likewise,

as i live near blackpool and regularly visit the Wirral and New Brighton, i could give it a home in the northwest until someone either north or south of me would like to give it a home and pick it up from me close to Fleetwood.

neil hp
                                          Participant
                                            @neilhp

i have agreed with Anne this lunch time to pick the model up in early January from New Brighton, and will then keep it safe in a "central location" in mainland, close to Blackpool.

that is, unless someone wishes to lay claim to the model on the route that Anne has laid out when she comes over from Ireland to head south through England towards the south.

i have no interest in the model myself other than to locate it centrally between the south and Scotland, but will happily relinquish that if someone wishes to give it a good home during her travels in January.

neil.

ashley needham
                                            Participant
                                              @ashleyneedham69188

Good man! Difficult period for getting pre-loved boats to new owners. Ashley

neil hp
                                              Participant
                                                @neilhp
                                                Posted by ashley needham on 27/09/2021 14:54:54:

Good man! Difficult period for getting pre-loved boats to new owners. Ashley

i'll try my best Ashley, but if you yourself can find a new owner before i pick it up then do please contact Anne and she can bring it down your way.

Anne Cadwallader
                                                Participant
                                                  @annecadwallader70259

I am hugely disappointed to announce that the planned trip to Birkenhead in early January has to be postponed. I had intended visiting my cousin with my sister but she has just rung to say she won't be able to make it. She is involved with an organisation in Uganda that rescues children abandoned by their parents (usually because they have AIDS) and it's run into problems so she will have to stay there instead of returning home for a holiday. I am hardly in a position to grumble as these children are so vulnerable and, by staying and working, she will be saving many young lives. BUT she hopes to come over later in the year so I will be keeping the Thames barge safe and will be in touch in due course via this channel. Keep safe and have a cool Yule everyone. Anne

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)