Footy yacht design SU120 Wonder

Advert

Footy yacht design SU120 Wonder

Home Forums Sailing Models Footy yacht design SU120 Wonder

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Francis Macnaughton
    Participant
      @francismacnaughton39461

I am taking a break from my usual 1/200 scale warships to make a sailing yacht for a change and came across the free plan in the MB December 2006 issue for a Footy type based on a sailing ferry boat.  I am well progressed on building this but am a little puzzled by the retractable keel arrangements.  The  plan appears to show that this would be 13cm in height but this would mean that it only protruded below the hull by 5 mm or so when pushed fully down. Sadly I understand that the author, Richard Webb, is no longer with us so I am putting the question out to anyone who has also built one in the wider MB audience – how far should a weighted keel like this normally protrude below the main hull?

Advert
      Chris E
      Participant
        @chrise

Sorry I an’t be of any help but what does a “sailing ferry boat” look like?

Francis Macnaughton
        Participant
          @francismacnaughton39461

Looks like this:

Itchen Ferry

Chris E
          Participant
            @chrise

Thank you.

Not what I had imagined but it should make a very pretty little model.

The shallow drop keel is interesting as it opens up sailing waters that the more common very deep fin models don’t.

Peter Vinton
            Participant
              @petervinton69315

An Itchen Ferry is a fast sailing fishing boat originally based at Itchen Ferry, a village on the river Itchen. The village is now almost gone,, bombed during the war but what remains is under the Itchen Bridge, next to Woolston.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)