Fisher Motorsailers

Advert

Fisher Motorsailers

Home Forums Sailing Models Fisher Motorsailers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    gecon
    Participant
      @gecon

Many years ago I bought the 1/12th scale plans by D.J. Metcalf of the Fisher 46.There was an article some years ago in MB by Richard Webb describing Ralph Stockton's Fisher 46 built from these plans. If anyone would care to give info' on buiding a model Fisher 25, 34 or 37 46 it would be very helpfull. I live in southwest Norway where access to parts and fittings is extremely limited. I note that a German firm has a 1/10th scale Fisher 25 kit in the pipeline with a moulded hull and scale fittings. This is a 'potter' version without masts/sails. I have also just ordered Fisher 25 plans from Cornwall Model Boats just to study the detail on the plan. I need help with finding and choosing mast, booms elec. drive system and scale-ish fittings. All words of wisdom appreciated. George.

Advert
      gecon
      Participant
        @gecon

Scale motorsailers

ashley needham
        Participant
          @ashleyneedham69188

Hi George, and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately I know nothing about the boat in question, however…

i am sure someone here could advise on some of your questions, for instance…

Drive system..the plans must indicate the size or likely size of the propellor and this will in part dictate the running gear choice, a quick google search identifies this as a yacht of some sort?

Fittings and I would have thought that these, or at least, generic/lookalike items must be available at this scale but will simply need some search time on the various model shop sites.

Pictures must be available of the real thing to give the right style. Masting and so on..fittings for this would be “as current practice” but it depends on just how accurate you want the model to be.

Ashley

gecon
          Participant
            @gecon

Thank you for the info. The Fisher Motorsailer range was until recently, produced by Northshore Yacht Yards in Itchenor, Sussex. I Owned a Fisher 34 myself for a few years in the late 80's so there's no problem with detail photos of the real thing.

The plans do not indicate propulsion gear, but the propellor opening indicates a scale prop size of around 50-55mm. I only need a 'slow-reving/geared brushed motor as a propulsion-assistant -just in case the wind stops. It does not usually stop here in Norway! The boat is heavy displacement so will weigh about 15-20kg when complete I suppose. The displacement of the original at 46" is quoted on the plan as ca.75lbs!! but that had a lot of extra gear mounted for furling/roller-reefing sails etc. The builder of the 46", Ralph Stockton, unfortunately passed away last year. His Fisher 46 probably still exists, so maybe someone will notice my thread and respond at some time.

I see that Cornwall Modell Boats has lots of different makes of fittings and even scale-like aluminium masts so I am working through all the details of fittings required. I won't invest in fittings though until I manage to produce a decent scale hull shape. The plywood is of course no problem…luckily we have trees in Norway, although not many scale model boat fittings.

I expect that project will take me a year to complete so Merry Xmas and Happy Easter to all ! Also, thanks in an advance for any pertinate info forcomming.

George

gecon
            Participant
              @gecon

20191105_203041.jpgResults after about three months of sawing/glue20191002_153230.jpging 9mm plywood!

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi George,

You are making a fine job of your Fisher, what are you using for the planking ??

Regards from the UK

Ray

gecon
                Participant
                  @gecon

The planking is obeche 1.8mm of different widths. And…… it looks better in the photo than in the 'flesh'!

It will be OK when sanded down I expect. Considering covering it with fine weave cloth and laminating epoxy to try to get a 'fiberglass look' as original yacht.

Ray Wood 3
                  Participant
                    @raywood3

Obeche is one of my favourite materials for model making, worth spending time with P38 car body filled to fair the planking, as the glass cloth & resin shows exactly what's under it in my experience.

Regards Ray

gecon
                    Participant
                      @gecon

I was advised by an experienced boatmodeller to use cloth/epoxy with added colour. I have no experience with this at all but I'm going to try it. With added glass balloons it should be OK to sand down. Time will tell.

I expect that I will be ready for that stage in a month or two. There's a lot to be done to the hull before it's ready for the treatment! In that this is a scratch build, I have to make my own instructions as the build progresses…..preferable a bit in advance of the each building stage!

gecon
                      Participant
                        @gecon

I doubt that many are interested but, seeing I have started off on this escapade I think it's appropriate to show that I'm still using the saw, xacto knife and the waterproof PVA. So…added a few more progress photos.

I have also newly purchased a Billings Colin Archer "414" kit from a local chap who" did not have the time" to build the kit he bought about…..10years ago! I have consoled the wife by assuring her that this one has a ready formed ABS hull and that there will be far less plywood shavings lying around on the kitchen floor in future! On first glance, the instructions seem to be the scantiest I have ever seen….found a few blogs on the web with tips photos, videos so after scratch-building this Fisher the Colin Archer should not be too bad….or ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)