First Person View

Advert

First Person View

Home Forums R/C & Accessories First Person View

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Stuart Munro 1
    Participant
      @stuartmunro1

Hi, Can anyone advise about antenna for 5.8ghz transmission FROM the boat?

Locked down and looking for a new challenge, I've alighted on fitting a First Peron /view camera to a model 'Starlet'. I've frequently missed buoys when sailing and thought it would be nice to be able to see them from an 'on board' viewpoint.

The onboard gear is mostly minute, the camera is 14mm square and 20mm long! The transmitter a similar size to an RC receiver. I can power the set-up from the RC receiver battery so the only challenge is the aerial. This also is quite small and looks something like a radar dome (encased in fiberglass). But I'm not sure where to place it? It could be disguised as a radar on top of the mast but then I'd have to run the co-axial cable up the mast.

Has anyone experience of this and thus offer some help?

Advert
      Stuart Munro 1
      Participant
        @stuartmunro1

Fitting live view camera to RC boat

Malcolm Frary
        Participant
          @malcolmfrary95515

Finding the right type of cable to get a 5.8GHz signal up a mast without losing the signal on the way might be problematical. The usual rules are that you need it as high as you can easily get it without either getting in the way of anything else or having a "quite small) obstruction that will mess with the signal. The higher the frequency, the smaller the obstruction needs to be.

At a laser meeting a few years ago I watched a laser being sailed with the "help" of FPV during the lunch break. It was less than a minute before the bank was rammed. And that was by the then UK Laser champ. It was noted then that FPV sailing needs a crew of two – one to get seasick steering the boat and a trusted mate who can tell the driver where he is and what is off to the side to ensure that contact is minimised.

Stuart Munro 1
          Participant
            @stuartmunro1

Malcolm, thanks for the thoughts. This is really just a fun experiment but if anyone can help my learning that's great and your observation on the lazer sailing is interesting.

I don't think I'll need a co pilot; I don't intend sailing by FPV but to use it as an aide when closing on a buoy to check the position and/or to film other boats. As such it would also not be a disaster if the signal cut out occasionally as some obstruction messes with the signal.

What I am interested to understand is the signal loss by using a cable of say, 1 metre, between transmitter and areal. Under new UK laws I'm restricted to 25 Mega watts output from the transmitter. Drone FPV sites say this is good for 200 metres but the drones are not at sea level! So I need to experiment; does the loss of signal by using a cable connector exceed the gain achieved by raising the areal?

I'll experiment and feed back. But with no sailing at the moment it might be a few weeks!

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

I think you mean milliwats Stuart. 25 megawattscould be interesting…

Colin

Stuart Munro 1
              Participant
                @stuartmunro1

Colin,

Just checking someone is awake! But seriously, my error.

harry smith 1
                Participant
                  @harrysmith1

Hi Stuart

This is one setup on a Fantome also with a GoPro 10 camera .

Harry Smith

rctoystasmania.com/forums/topic/playing-with-boats-in-the-canal-23rd-jan-2021/

Stuart Munro 1
                  Participant
                    @stuartmunro1

Harry,

Great action shots – presumably recorded 'onboard' for viewing later. Looks like great sailing in Tasmania.

Stuart

harry smith 1
                    Participant
                      @harrysmith1

Hi Stuart

One lot from a drone.

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMsPNyepbTs

Checkout the rctoystasmania website under forums for a weekly video update on our boating, sailing and flying in the club.

Harry

Stuart Munro 1
                      Participant
                        @stuartmunro1

Harry,

Thanks, will do.

Stuart

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)