Fibreglass hull for pilot cutter

Advert

Fibreglass hull for pilot cutter

Home Forums Sailing Models Fibreglass hull for pilot cutter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Paul Williams 34
    Participant
      @paulwilliams34

Thanks Hi, I'm new to the forum, an scale glider man who acquired a tatty three masted schooner and is hooked. Sorting out the schooner is a separate story – sails well but can be improved and thanks to Nev Wade for some advice. I would like to build a pilot cutter or a similar gaffer to Jolie Brise and would prefer a fibreglass for speed of construction and wear and tear but everything available seems to be in the advanced hernia size and I'm not getting any younger ! Something around 30-36 inch would be optimum and I wondered if there suppliers out there I don't know about ? Thanks Paul

Advert
      Paul Williams 34
      Participant
        @paulwilliams34
        Derek Bradley
        Participant
          @derekbradley32270

Paul,

Have a look at Orion Mouldings website – not sure, but I think that he does a pilot cutter hull. Not many GRP hull makers for this style of boat since makers like Kingston gave up. Let me know if you are successful.

Derek.

Paul Williams 34
          Participant
            @paulwilliams34

Derek,

Thanks for the thought but Orion s only offering is too large at 1/12 scale and all the plan / hulls on offer, seem to be the same size and this make for a hefty model to haul about. Of course its possible to make launch trolleys and all manner of mechanical aids but in my view such large models are a deterrent and therefore don't get used as much as they deserve.

I picked up a French plan on Ebay, for Jolie Brise at 1/20 which is around 32 inches long and 45 over the bowsprit. This is a more manageable size and weight and the only issue is the overall height of 45 inches, which might needs a removable top mast.

Hey ho, looks like a wood build then – after the clipper !

Thanks again

Paul

Derek Bradley
            Participant
              @derekbradley32270

Thanks for letting me know, Paul. Enjoy your build, whatever it may be but I tend to work on the principle that, the bigger the boat, the better it sails.

Derek.

Paul Williams 34
              Participant
                @paulwilliams34

Derek,

I fully appreciate the mathematics of scale effect means that bigger is better and the same applies to rc scale sailplanes but frankly in most circumstances I do not personally detect any great difference in performance and handling.

With scale sailing boats, the advantage of a large model is the ability to avoid the need for an external false keel. However a false keel doesn't bother me at all and I greatly prefer the practicality of a model that fits easily into the car without wrecking my back or giving me a hernia.

Horses for courses and a matter of personal choice of course – there is no right and wrong with these things.

Best regards

Paul

Derek Bradley
                Participant
                  @derekbradley32270

Paul,

I totally agree with you. The boat is entirely your choice and what you want to build and not something suggested by anyone else – unless, of course, that suggestion appeals to you.

Hope you can find what you want and that you enjoy building it.

I can't think of any other hull suppliers that you could contact.

Derek.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)