fiberglass hull

Advert

fiberglass hull

Home Forums Beginners fiberglass hull

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Mackereth
    Participant
      @stephenmackereth38870

Hi all!

Im not exactly a beginner, but I am, a lock down first timer, self taught. So much to learn (dont get me started on rigging…yet!)

Anyway finally really getting on to my Deans Marines Victoria and Albert. If anyone out there has built one please let me know.

Anyhow first dumb question: do I need to treat the fiberglass hull in any way before painting? i.e. is it waterproof?

If you can answer this and possibly more silly questions as I go on Id love to hear from you.

Thanks S

Advert
      Stephen Mackereth
      Participant
        @stephenmackereth38870

advice please

Richard Simpson
        Participant
          @richardsimpson88330

Hi Stephen and welcome to the forum.

The fibreglass should be waterproof but, if there are any air holes in the resin you might get an ingress of water. A test in the bath should help prove it is sound.

The first job is to give the hull a good washing down with warm soapy water and detergent to remove any release agent that may have been used. Then you want to roughen up the surface with a fine wet and dry paper before you fill in any imperfections with something like a car body filler such as Isopon P.38. When the hull us filled and smooth a coat of primer should be next. This will help you see any final imperfections that might want addressing. When all remedial work has been done a final coat of primer should give you the best surface for the top coats.

No such thing as a silly question, only silly answers, feel free to ask away!

Stephen Mackereth
          Participant
            @stephenmackereth38870

Many Thanks Richard. Thanks for prompt, and very helpful reply. S

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)