Fairey Huntsman – with a difference.

Advert

Fairey Huntsman – with a difference.

Home Forums Build Blogs Fairey Huntsman – with a difference.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Joe Beckett
    Participant
      @joebeckett71895
      Advert
      Joe Beckett
      Participant
        @joebeckett71895

img_20210301_174701_dro.jpgHi All, The Lockdown model is finally finished and I am very pleased with it. There are already many excellent diaries here on the Fairey Huntsman but if anyone is interested in my twin engine build, I could post a few pictures of the diversion from the standard kit. I am not an expert, just a happy amateur! Regards Joeimg_20210301_174827_dro.jpgimg_20210301_174849_dro.jpg

Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

That looks really nice Joe, yes we would like to see a few more photos.

Colin

neil hp
          Participant
            @neilhp

so you should be happy Joe…………its stunning, and beautiful as well.enjoy sailing her whan you can.

Richard Simpson
            Participant
              @richardsimpson88330

What a cracking looking interior. Beautiful build, you have every right to be very proud of it.

Chris Fellows
              Participant
                @chrisfellows72943

Most of us are happy amateurs on here Joe!

Lovely build and you have added some nice detailing. Of course we'd like to see more photos and information! It's always interesting and useful for other builders.

What size is it? And what's the hole near the bow?

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 01/03/2021 23:02:24

Joe Beckett
                Participant
                  @joebeckett71895

Thanks all for the positive comments. This is the SLEC 47". The hole is the bow thruster. I'll post more photos later.

timg
                  Participant
                    @timg12590

Hi Joe

Like everyone else has already said , great looking model . The extra bits of detail like the radio bring her to life.

What's next?

Timg

Joe Beckett
                    Participant
                      @joebeckett71895

StrengtheningFirst deviation from the plan, strengthening to the hull skin, also inside the transom box and further ply added under the motors.

Holes

What's worse than a hole in your boat…eight holes! This was the most difficult part, with no plan, I had to guess the angle of the prop through the hull.

Prop angleMy plan all along was to keep to the look and feel of the original full size boat as much as possible, so by measuring angles from photos on my tv and a bit of guesstimation and cardboard templates, I arrived at approx 20deg. I didn't get it exactly right, hence the larger prop holes. and extra wood to cover the inside! I should have made up a jig from scrap wood to keep everything in line as the glue set. One of the props is very slightly out of line, I call it the boomerang effect, as it will always come back to me! We live and learn.

Motors

Two uj's per prop allows the motors to sit fairly flat on the hull. Raw water cooled motor mounts are glued directly onto dense core foam for sound and vibration deadening.

Cav platesTrue to life anti-cavitation plates are though-bolted at both ends and glued/pinned to the hull.

Steering 2

Rudder stocks are fitted through angle-cut plastic tubes either side of the hull skin and the entry was enlarged to the transom box for access to rudders and exhaust cooling pipes.

Propeller

Propshafts have 'p' brackets, as per the full size and the rudders are about the same shape as the actual items. Water intakes either side of the hull. Notice the hull chines cut out around the propeller…too close for comfort!

Motors close

The motors (after much help from the forum) are Surpass Hobby 4250, 800kv outrunners and the speed controllers are fairly hefty 90a Flycolor with raw water cooling.

CoolingAn electronic switch operated water cooling pump allows for realistic water through the exhausts on demand as well as being forced by the inlets when underway.

More to follow…

Joe Beckett
                      Participant
                        @joebeckett71895

Exhaust

Twin exhausts positioned as per many of the original 60's era boats and some nice fake anodes for effect.

Bow thruster

A bow thruster operated from one of the sticks, just because I can!!

Captains chair

The skipper's chair actually moves back and forth to allow for the figures that my wonderful son-in-law is printing for me! The cupboard/steps are the same as the full size.Crew chairs

Crew chairs look (a bit) like leather with obligatory cup holders to hand!

Dashboard

Cabin detail. The hours spent on that 'leather-covered' steering wheel! (red oxide primer, roughed up a little!

Map & radar

Local map and radar screen and a window in the door. I left the cockpit floor unstained, just matt varnish as I wanted the boat to have a slightly 'lived-in' look. The main deck was washed with mushroom coloured paint as most real boats go that lovely greyish colour eventually. I had an extra deck sent out due to a fault, so cut out the edges to make a raised gunnel rail.Front hatch

Front hatch was converted to a sunroof with perspex sheet and electrical tape wrapped around card on the inside to make a sunshade.

That's about it as far as mods go. I haven't been able to test her on the water yet but she sits nicely in the bath! A minor gripe on-line of the original kit was that it is front-heavy and videos bear this out. With the motors in this build placed in the full size position, under the raised cockpit floor, it gives it a slight nose-up attitude, whether this causes it to flip over backwards over 2 knots remains to be seen!!

Thanks again for all the appreciative comments, I look at the build diaries on this website and am always amazed at the attention to fine detail shown. This has been a great build for me (and an expensive one too!) but I definitely am keen to start again. What's next? An Amati Riva perhaps?!

Now bring me that horizon! (When we're allowed to that is!) smiley

Joe Beckett
                        Participant
                          @joebeckett71895

A couple of slightly wider angle shots…img_20210301_174633_dro.jpg

img_20210301_174648_dro.jpg

Will Mason 1
                          Participant
                            @willmason1

Fantastic looking model of an aft cabin Huntsman 31.

Those extra bits and bobs really make it.

I'm a huge fan of the Fairey range of pleasure boats. My Uncle had two, an aft cabin H31 and a Swordsman afterwards.

When are you hoping to get her bottom wet?

I look forward to seeing pictures and hopefully some video of her on the water.

Will

Christopher West 2
                            Participant
                              @christopherwest2

Hi joe been looking at your huntsman now for ages manged to pick my first huntsman 31 47 up few weeks back and it’s been a long hard process to get her back to how it should look as the last person had how I should say put his own spin on it 4 weeks later and apart from the hull I’ve taken it all to part and re done all the window frames and acetate and the cabin had to be completely re done just wanted to say I was inspired to do it after seeing yours and hope you don’t mind I’ve been trying to get mine as near to yours as I can as it’s my second go at restoring a old classic boat , have seen a few but not as detailed as yours after getting a few parts from SLEC it’s now getting there apart from was wondering is that midnight blue as tried a few blues now and just isn’t right so seen humbrol midnight blue so mite go for they all the best wez

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)