Epoxy resin choice.

Advert

Epoxy resin choice.

Home Forums All things floating Epoxy resin choice.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Beall
    Participant
      @kevinbeall91525

I need to start putting a coat of resin/glassfibre cloth on my SLEC Huntress hull. in the past I’ve used ZAP Finishing Resin which was OK to use and low odour, but it seems most suppliers are out of stock.

Has anyone else used any other makes? There seems to be a number of suppliers of epoxy resin for such things as boat repairs etc which work out about the same cost but for far more quantity…I’m not too bothered about the longer cure times they tend to quote just as long as it is suitable for use with lightweight cloth.

Sicomin SR5550 Epoxy Laminating Resin System – mbfg.co.uk

Advert
      Colin Bishop
        @colinbishop34627

The advantage of Zap is that it is intended as a finishing resin which sands easily, other resins can set much harder.

I used Deluxe Eze Kote on my SLEC Swordsman which is water based but it is softer than the Zap so maybe less suitable for the bigger and heavier Huntress.

It might be worth contacting Squires of Bognor. They are mail order rather than onlin order but do carry Zap products.

http://www.squirestools.com/

Colin

ashley needham
        Participant
          @ashleyneedham69188

I used slow cure epoxy resin from “easycomposites”. They do various sizes.

I was surprised as a first use of epoxy, after using polyester resin all my life, as to how hard and dry it was on curing, No tack.

I opted for long cure, 9 hours, as it gives you the option of under mixing the amount t you think you need, and then mixing more,  and there is no rush to complete the layup.

Ashley

Kevin Beall
          Participant
            @kevinbeall91525

Agree Ashley, it is more pleasant to use too due to low odour! Will check out the site, thanks.

I might also look at getting clear with colouring agents, then I can do the hull pre coloured white and use clear on the deck area.

Kevin Beall
            Participant
              @kevinbeall91525

I’ve just finished sealing my SLEC Huntress hull. I went for EL2 Laminating Resin from Easy Composites as suggested, first layer with fibreglass cloth and then one additional coat inside and out. The last model I did which was a similar size/design I used Z-Poxy Finishing Resin, same stages/coats.

The EL2 seems more temperature dependent for the curing process and does take 24hrs + if the temp drops much below 15C, that is with the slow hardener. The finish once cured is really hard, it took a lot more elbow grease compared to the Z-Poxy I used before, but the resulting finish is very durable and silky smooth. I suspect that you could get away not using the fibreglass cloth as it is very strong.

Price wise it is about a 1/4 that of the Z-Poxy (if you can fined someone with it in stock). I used about 250g of the 1Kg kit where as I used nearly all the 6oz pack of Z-Poxy. Don’t buy it off Ebay as the same supplier seems to be charging about 3x the price of their direct website.

Happy to use again as the extra sanding is balanced out by the cheaper price and durable finish. The same supplier does a “coating resin” which maybe easier to sand.

Colin Bishop
                @colinbishop34627

Thanks for the feedback Kevin. I had a look at the website and there are lots of options.

The Zap is obviously more expensive but is easier to rub down and is mixed 50/50.

The EC finishing resin appears to be intended as a clear UV resistant topcoat. May still be quite hard but a good option for people building Riva type launches with varnished decks and hull.

Colin

Kevin Beall
                Participant
                  @kevinbeall91525

Hi Colin, agree, looks like their Coating Resin might be ideal.

I just think the Zap product is good but over priced.

Chris Fellows
                  Participant
                    @chrisfellows72943

Don’t forget a photo when it’s finished!

Chris

Colin Bishop
                      @colinbishop34627

I just think the Zap product is good but over priced.

You certainly get a lot more for the same money with Easy Composites but will you use it all? I’ve still got half my Zap finishing resin left over from my 2019 SLEC Swordsman project. Although it is only said to gave a one year expected shelf life it was still OK for use as a top coat on my paddler last year. A little certainly went a long way.

EC say their resin is good for up to 3 years but the hardner has a much shorter shelf life.

Products in small quantities aimed at the modelling market always do feature premium prices unfortunately.

In the end, if it works and we are happy then that’s all that matters.

Colin

ashley needham
                      Participant
                        @ashleyneedham69188

Depending on the thickness you can get away with, the last few things I fibreglassed were roughly wetndried and then smeared with car filler, p38 or whathaveyou and THEN wetndried to smooth. You don’t need to remove so much resin then and remedial filling should be minimal.

Like Kev, I worried that after 12 hours it was still wet, but it does go off.

I have had mine for at least a year and a half if not 2 or more years and it’s fine still. It seems a waste throwing something away but even then it costs much less. A purchase could depend on how likely you are to want to use it again.

Would use glass of some sort…the tissue is very thin, as resin on its own can crack if subjected to too much deformation. Not likely on some hulls admittedly.

Ashley

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)