Electric boat experts here please!

Advert

Electric boat experts here please!

Home Forums R/C & Accessories Electric boat experts here please!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brian Fry
    Participant
      @brianfry61832

I thought I had got a real bargain when  I recently bought an ESC for my boat .

I carefully checked that it was for brushed motors and that the current limit was ok and that it had a battery elimination circuit .

When it arrived I found it didnt have a reverse!  (It was clearly marked PLANE)

Possibly fortunately, I was going to use  my very old 4 channel radio set so I thought, why not use a spare channel to reverse the polarity of the motor?

I figured a D.P.D.T. switch would do this , but before I go any further and blow anything up, could anyone advise if this will work and/or any problems likely?

Thank you 

Advert
      ashley needham
      Participant
        @ashleyneedham69188

Brian. Cant see why this wouldnt work, BUT I am not sure how the ESC will react if there is a modocum of power going through it when you suddenly reverse the motor (duck attack).. May get spikes or peaks above the current capabilities of the unit ( due to heavy draw on initial motor start-up).  Ashley

ps fusing it might stop ESC damage but leave you stranded in the ocean…

Manxman
        Participant
          @manxman

Hi Brian,

In theory it seems ok, worrying though about being stranded in the lake.  Personal I would put the ESC to one side (in case you build a racer type which only has forward) swallow my pride (I’ve done a lot of that!) get the old wallet out and buy another.

You didn’t mention where you got your bargain from,  wasn’t Ebay was it ? as most of these are from China/Hong Kong  with a massive rating and are forward only, fine for the old racer.

Cheers – Ken

Brian Fry
          Participant
            @brianfry61832

Thanks for your advice members.

Ashley,I take on board (no pun intended) your points, although I was planning to close the power  to zero on the  throttle stick before moving the reversing (elevator) stick to the revers position.

Manxman you got me bang to rights: it was Ebay and for less than £5 delivered it seemed worth the gamble! 

I guess I was concentrating on making sure it was a brushed motor item as there seems to be a big difference in prices between brushed and brushless ESC’s I wonder why that is?

Manxman
            Participant
              @manxman

Difference in price ? – simple, new technology (well newish) and a limited market.

New stuff, doesn’t matter what it is, is always more expensive when it first comes out, but soon drops

I bought a Sony digital camera 3 years back, cost £230, you can now pick up a much better version for just £70

With regards the ESC,  I use Mtronics 25amp Vipers (£36) – bear in mind you can move your ESC from one boat to another, after all, you can only sail one at a time –  Its also wise to buy a little bigger than you need as you don’t know yet what your next model will be !

Ken

Brian Fry
              Participant
                @brianfry61832
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)