Edinburgh Castle and Pendennis Castle

Advert

Edinburgh Castle and Pendennis Castle

Home Forums Full Size Ships Edinburgh Castle and Pendennis Castle

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Bob Wilson
    Participant
      @bobwilson59101
      Advert
      Bob Wilson
      Participant
        @bobwilson59101

Two of my old ships. I was one year in Pretoria Castle and one year in Pendennis Castle! A bygone age – frown

https://youtu.be/ygcrucct-gM

gecon
        Participant
          @gecon

Nice to whatch them magestically cutting through the sea.

George

Colin Bishop
            @colinbishop34627

The days when ships still looked beautiful!.

I recall during the 60's seeing the Union Castle liners depart for the Cape. Every Thursday at 4pm.

Colin

Bob Wilson
            Participant
              @bobwilson59101

The Castles brought the lifeblood, the people and the mails,

The rich, the poor, the restless, and the great,

Cotton goods, and Paris hats, machines and iron rails,

Relentless as the seasons, and hardly ever late!

————————

winchester castle.jpg

Bob Wilson
              Participant
                @bobwilson59101

The End of The Line

The Union-Castle Mail Steamship Co.

**LINK**

Richard Simpson
                Participant
                  @richardsimpson88330

My office used to look out of Southwestern House, on the left, when it was Cunard's head office, across the road to the Union Castle building. I always thought it was a great shame that nothing useful was done with the place. They made South Western House into apartments eventually when Cunard moved out. It was a beautiful building to work in.

swhouse.jpg

Edited By Richard Simpson on 04/07/2022 13:30:17

neil hp
                  Participant
                    @neilhp
                    Posted by Colin Bishop on 02/07/2022 19:01:53:

I recall during the 60's seeing the Union Castle liners depart for the Cape. Every Thursday at 4pm.

Colin

as you say Colin……….beautiful ships in those days…….now we just have blocks of flats on a watertight base, that i can only think of as cattle markets affloat.

Last time i was on a "cruise" ship was sailing home from Australia on a Russian CTC Line ship called Shota Rustaveli in 1978…….and it was actually a very nice, but no frills ship.

shotarustaveli_pc0.jpg

Bob Wilson
                    Participant
                      @bobwilson59101

I have only been in one cruise ship, the Reina del Mar, 20,000 tons and1,000 passengers. The rest of the passenger vessels that I sailed is, such as Pretoria Castle and Edinburgh Castle etc were passenger liners, running on a fixed route to very strict time schedules. Most of them had both first class and tourist class cabins. We got from Southampton to Cape Town in 11 1/2 days, and that included a bunkering stop at Las Palmas.

Richard Simpson
                      Participant
                        @richardsimpson88330

Maybe I'm slightly biased but I think Disney is one of the very few companies out there who at least try to make a modern ship have at least some sense of style about them. The long bow and two funnel arrangement was always designed to emulate the liners of old but, of course, the basic box shape is still in the middle of it.

13-09-06-06disneywonderbarbados6.jpg

Stephen Garrad
                        Participant
                          @stephengarrad28964
                          Posted by neil howard-pritchard on 24/09/2022 00:35:45:

Posted by Colin Bishop on 02/07/2022 19:01:53:

Colin

as you say Colin……….beautiful ships in those days…….now we just have blocks of flats on a watertight base, that i can only think of as cattle markets affloat.

Last time i was on a "cruise" ship was sailing home from Australia on a Russian CTC Line ship called Shota Rustaveli in 1978…….and it was actually a very nice, but no frills ship.

shotarustaveli_pc0.jpg

Is that the Marco Polo Neil? she was a Russian cruise ship built in 1964 I think. We went to Norway a few years ago on her, a bit tired but a lovely old lady. Sadly the pandemic did for her owners CMV and she ended up on Alang beach being cut up. The similarity is striking.

Stephen

Edited By Stephen Garrad on 24/09/2022 21:53:54

neil hp
                          Participant
                            @neilhp

shotarustaveli_pc0.jpg

Is that the Marco Polo Neil? she was a Russian cruise ship built in 1964 I think. We went to Norway a few years ago on her, a bit tired but a lovely old lady. Sadly the pandemic did for her owners CMV and she ended up on Alang beach being cut up. The similarity is striking.

Stephen

no, Stephen…….that was her given name. there were 4 [at least] very similar ships…..but Shota Rustaveli had one exact [from the outside ] sister ship the MS Mikhail Lermontov, and she came to greif off New Zealand.

MS Mikhail Lermontov – Wikipedia

Stephen Garrad
                            Participant
                              @stephengarrad28964
                              Posted by neil howard-pritchard on 24/09/2022 22:37:21:

shotarustaveli_pc0.jpg

Stephen

no, Stephen…….that was her given name. there were 4 [at least] very similar ships…..but Shota Rustaveli had one exact [from the outside ] sister ship the MS Mikhail Lermontov, and she came to greif off New Zealand.

MS Mikhail Lermontov – Wikipedia

Good evening Neil,

I've had a look at wikiwhatnots and the Marco Polo was originally the Aleksandr Pushkin.

Stephen

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)