Dragonforce 65 Ordered

Advert

Dragonforce 65 Ordered

Home Forums Sailing Models Dragonforce 65 Ordered

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Chris Fellows
    Participant
      @chrisfellows72943

The jib boom needs to miss the mast, mine's about 5mm away. If you move the silicone rings A and B at the front of the jib backwards this will increase the gap.

I've used rechargeable AAs in my HydroPro for over 3 years without any contact problems and let's face it the consequences of failure are far less serious with a yacht than with an aircraft!

I don't check the batteries after every use as they do hold a charge for a long time. As far as seal integrity goes rather than use the patch which does have a finite number of reuses and is tricky to fit under the boom and sheets (sheet out to make easier) I use electrical tape to the perimeter of the hatch.

Whilst checking the battery after each use is not required it is good practise to remove the hatch each time so that any water ingress can dry out. Also take the tension out of the backstay if not using for awhile.

Advert
      Steven S. 1
      Participant
        @stevens-1

I am using the Joysway 700mA LiFe battery and found this post on another DF65 forum. I should be able to get a day’s sailing out of my battery. I bought two of them and the small USB charger.

battery usage.jpg

carl brotherton
        Participant
          @carlbrotherton75833

I totally agree with you Chris, the consequences of low voltage are significantly less, with a yacht.

I am very grateful to all who answer my questions, and I also follow the other inputs by contributors.

I am building another model (a JIF). An example of what is leant from others expeirences and the DF, is that I would have been looking at something in the region in 2-3mm diameter of chord or fishing line trace. I antcipated probably much higher forces than what appear to be realistic.

Any comments on the use of Cyno, for fixing knots?

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi Carl,

Yes super glue your knots it's safer, you may change your mind about stainless fishing trace and crimps when you have a deck mounted mast, the DF65 mast is not really stayed as it fits in the socket in the hull and only has the forestay and backstay to top the mast falling out of the boat and to adjust the sail shape.

A set of Duracell's for the RX will give amazingly long time on the water !!

Regards Ray

Chris Fellows
            Participant
              @chrisfellows72943

Yes, forgot to mention the superglue. I didn't glue the knots on the HydroPro but used tape as security on a number of them but having done them on the DF I've now done them on the HydroPro as well having re-rigged it. Apply glue to a short length of cord adjacent to the knot as well and leave to thoroughly dry so that when trimmed it leaves a neat end that doesn't fray.

Eddie Lancaster
              Participant
                @eddielancaster

Hi. Steven, your battery usage appears to be roughly in line with mine.

Eddie.

carl brotherton
                Participant
                  @carlbrotherton75833

Each step I take, is tentative, often having to retreat.

Resetting the jib to ensure clearance with the mast. It proved much easier said than done. I ended with jib completely of and quite a lot of reworking, to an extent that I much regret not getting things right in the first place.

Anyway, I now have my new receiver, the servo and power leads in their correct channels. It is a bit tighter than I would like, in that the leads sit higher than I would like. I have bound the receiver.

I have issues with the aerials, which seem to have no provision for locating conveniently, with the tips set at 90 degrees. With model aircraft, this is important. I am guessing not such a major issue for yachts. What do others do.

Now I need to set the winch servo etc.

Eddie Lancaster
                  Participant
                    @eddielancaster

Hi. Carl, although I haven't done it on this boat glue a couple of pieces of drinking straw where you want the aerials to go and then just tuck them in.

The A+ sails are now fitted to my boat alone with it's new reg.number.

dscf3803.jpg

As suggested by others I have replaced the wire forestay with a Dyneema cord, also the wire mast rings and the tack hooks,to allow the sails to move freely,especially in light winds.

When I tried to set the mast rake according to the instructions I was using, 985mm. from the hole at the back of the crane down to the transom, I had to put on a lot of backstay pressure, looking at a YouTube video the figure of 951mm. was given,this was achieved with the backstay loose and just a little forestay pressure, more inline with the A rig settings.

Eddie

Chris Fellows
                    Participant
                      @chrisfellows72943

All ready for action now then Eddie. The jib sail is considerably higher than the A rig one.

I like the red strip below deck level, the hull is a bit bare otherwise.

Carl – given the size and narrowness of the hull I just pushed the aerials under the deck and didn't worry about them being 90 degrees. No problems on the water.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 08/05/2021 18:30:51

Eddie Lancaster
                      Participant
                        @eddielancaster

Hi. Chris, the main difference between the rigs is the jib, the mast is also 10mm. higher.

Yes ready for action and with a sail number they will all know who is causing havoc blush.

I think that less is more, I just want to see which is fore and aft, and which direction it is going.

Eddie

Steven S. 1
                        Participant
                          @stevens-1

I like the Spectrum AR410 receivers, they have no external antenna and the leads fit into the end.ar410.jpg

Eddie Lancaster
                          Participant
                            @eddielancaster

Took the DF 65 to Wicksteed this morning to try the A+ sails, the wind was quite light at around 5mph. The boat handled very well, it would set its own course upwind and needed little input from me, looking forward now to tomorrow when I can try it against the other boats and skippers.

img_1131.jpeg

img_1130.jpeg

Eddie.

Ray Wood 3
                            Participant
                              @raywood3

Hi Eddie,

They are classic little yachts, good luck against the competition

Do they sail Dragon Flite 95's ??

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster
                              Participant
                                @eddielancaster

Hi, Ray, I will need all the luck I can get, but the racing is friendly, they only sail 65s and sometimes Wee Nips at Emberton .

Regards.

Eddie.

Chris Fellows
                                Participant
                                  @chrisfellows72943

Scoots along nicely Eddie. Have fun.

No news on when we start racing at our club yet. Shouldn't be too long though now as things start to open up.

Chris

carl brotherton
                                  Participant
                                    @carlbrotherton75833

I have installed the radio and eventually set up the sail movements. I did struggle because of my lack of education, I still have not learnt to read, so it seems. I blame the government, I suspect it was Labour back then, 40 to a class. We all had a slate and chalk though.

I was suspicious that I had to overdrive the EPA, by a substantial amount. Once I had re-read the instructions, remarked the distance required on the hull, the EPA moved pretty much to 100%.

I have been looking for details of the local club, it does not have a web site as such, so it seems. Details of rhe times of meetings, are provided as a guide. I really wanted to find a point of contact, to join, pay the fees, and hopefully, that is hopefully with a contact to guide me with what to do etc.

Owe for an education, yes, youth is wasted on the young, if it was not for the Beano I would not have reached any level of knowledge at all.

Chris Fellows
                                    Participant
                                      @chrisfellows72943

I'd read elsewhere that EPA should be set at 110% as a starting point. With my Hitec I had to set one end at 140% and the other at 110% to get the required travel.

It will obviously vary from Tx to Tx and from yacht to yacht based on the initial rigging set up.

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                                      Participant
                                        @raywood3

Hi Chris,

I wished I had an EPA !! what is it ??

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster
                                        Participant
                                          @eddielancaster

Hi. Chris, I had to use the same settings with the Futaba tx.

Ray, don’t worry if you do get it, it’s not as serious as COVID.

Eddie.

Steven S. 1
                                          Participant
                                            @stevens-1

Ray – I believe that EPA stands for "End Point Adjustment". The DF65 manuals calls for 115mm winch travel so I had to adjust the throttle stick travel on my Spektrum DX6 radio to achieve that.

Ray Wood 3
                                            Participant
                                              @raywood3

Thanks Guys,

That's a relief I thought I'd have to go and buy one, I don't have posh radio sets ! and I never read the instructions, It's a Man of Kent thing

Second jab this afternoon, happy days , chaos in the workshop as usual .workshop 090521.jpg

Regards Ray

Chris Fellows
                                              Participant
                                                @chrisfellows72943

I thought you were joking Ray, especially as you fly aircraft, so didn't reply! laugh

Chris

carl brotherton
                                                Participant
                                                  @carlbrotherton75833

Ray,smiley I love your catholic taste, not just boat

I am building another boat, i prefer building, sad, but it is a thing from a long lost activity from the past, but an ARTS (almost ready to sail) boat, is a short cut to some knowledge. I can now see the very real and practical benefit from a drum servo, in comparison to a extended servo arm.

I still have an issue with sealing the apertures, in that I intend opening the boat up to ventilation after each outing. Plus I am used to the concept of checking battery condition after every usage, it is a model aircraft thing.sad

Just need to contact the local club now.

Chris Fellows
                                                  Participant
                                                    @chrisfellows72943

Carl

As I've said before, just use electrical tape around the perimeter of the hatch, cheap, effective and easy to fit and remove.

Looking forward to seeing you get the DF on the water.

Chris

carl brotherton
                                                    Participant
                                                      @carlbrotherton75833

Pretty much finished now.

Just needs hatches sealing

Still have not managed to make contact with the local club.

wp_20210521_20_13_41_pro.jpg

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 75 total)