Dragonforce 65 Ordered

Advert

Dragonforce 65 Ordered

Home Forums Sailing Models Dragonforce 65 Ordered

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Chris Fellows
    Participant
      @chrisfellows72943
      Advert
      Chris Fellows
      Participant
        @chrisfellows72943

Hi all

I'm not ready to build my own racing yacht yet (if ever! smiley and will take me too long anyway) so have just ordered the latest V6 Dragonforce 65 ready for when we start club racing again.

I already have the Hydropro Affinity version with a B suit of sails but in lighter winds or if the water level is lower with the banks reducing the wind at water level I find myself well down the field. I can't be bothered changing the sails for differing wind conditions hence the Dragonforce with an A suit and the benefit of a narrower beam.

I shall still probably be languishing at the back of the pack but any excuse to get a new boat! smiley

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 15/04/2021 15:33:11

Tim Rowe
        Participant
          @timrowe83142

That's good Chris

Will you do a little unpacking and setting up blog? I would find that very interesting as I am half toying with the idea for a chuck-in-the-back-of-the-car boat. The IOMs and Galileo need a bit of planning.

Tim R

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi Chris,

That is the best choice, the DF65 is a great boat and the way to go I bought some Mylar film sails, but never sure if they were faster, but they looked pretty cool !! Register your boat and have a go at the Traveller series of races, it's the only way to find out how slow you are

Raced against the boys from Fleetwood Lancs MYC at Eastbourne they were mustard !!

My scale fleet are raring to go, with my DF95 behind.rw sailing fleet 2021.jpg

Regards Ray

Chris Fellows
            Participant
              @chrisfellows72943

Tim – will do but there are plenty of videos on YouTube that will provide more information. I could get bigger yachts in the car but I can get two 65s in easily and our club lake isn't that big anyway so a 65 is ideal.

Ray – the DF65 comes with Mylar sails so that is good. I already know how slow I am smiley, I tend to do better with power boats. We only race for fun at our club (though our competitive nature always comes into playdevil) and it's good to do something other than just running around the lake – I shall save that for the Faireys!

Your sailing fleet is looking good and will be getting bigger!

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 15/04/2021 21:55:21

Chris Fellows
              Participant
                @chrisfellows72943

A big box arrived on Monday, but apart from a quick look nothing has been done as I wanted to finish my Tx boxes and give Scot Free a shakedown.

Did that yesterday and also gave my HydroPro Affinity a sail, albeit it in light winds, which whetted my appetite to put the DF65 together.

So today I made a start by fitting the keel and bulb and assembling the mainsail.

Have to say, that for £149.00 (without radio) from RC Yachts they are very good value for money and everything is very well packaged. The sails come flat and are sandwiched in cardboard. The HydroPro ones came rolled up which was fine as they were unmarked.

I always take a long time over assembly, being careful and have to retie sheets etc. to get the right lengths. Rigging is fiddly for man sized fingers and thumbs and so tweezers and long nosed pliers are useful.

It shouldn't take as long as the HydroPro though (which used earlier DF sails and rigging etc.) as improvements have been made and the instructions are clearer.

Tomorrow I shall fit the jib and the Rx and it will then be ready for sailing.

Photo attached which shows the narrower beam of the DF compared with the HydroPro. Surprisingly the A sails aren't much taller than the B sails on the HydroPro.

Chris

df65 1.jpg

df65 2.jpg

df65 3.jpg

df65 4a.jpg

df65 5.jpg

Edited By Chris Fellows on 24/04/2021 21:29:33

Edited By Chris Fellows on 24/04/2021 21:30:18

Eddie Lancaster
                Participant
                  @eddielancaster

Hi.Chris, I am also looking at a DF65, I think our water will be full of weed again by the end of June, so the only way to go sailing will be to join another club that does not have a weed problem but, they sail DFs on a Wednesday morning, I was going to build one, but at £150-00 it will be a lot easier and cost no more.
                  I still have an IOM to finish and another one to start, so have plenty to keep me busy.

Regards.

Eddie.

Tim Rowe
                  Participant
                    @timrowe83142

Hello Chris

Narrow beam is definitely the way things are going across all classes and an interesting comparison in the photo.

It looks like a very well thought out package – mmmm!

Tim R

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi Tim/Chris,

Those new sails are great, my old version had the Dragon motif all over and had to go

Looks like you maybe getting your plastic cards out to order ? , the DG65 is actually a half size Marblehead, designed by the great and good of British model yachting so is a pedigree boat, once you have the 65 you will want the DF95 trust me on this ??

The race circuit here generally travel round the country racing the 65's on Saturday and the 95's on Sunday at each venue,.Mike Weston who runs RC Yachts is a top bloke, I collected my DF95 as he is just up the road and he threw in a RX battery pack as he didn't have to post it to me, a unit full of boats, spares & rigs.

On holiday this week trip to Maldon is on the cards

Regards Ray – my 95 before she was registered.df95.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 25/04/2021 09:40:35

Chris Fellows
                      Participant
                        @chrisfellows72943

Yes, unless you want the satisfaction of building your own, it's a no brainer buying one really.

There was an earlier version with a black hull and the dragon motif sails which looked pretty awful. The white is much better, though you can buy additional coloured hulls and decal packs if you so wish.

Nearly finished the rigging now, had to get my wife to tie a couple of knots as not enough hands and smaller fingers definitely helps!

When ordering I forgot to order my numbers so will have to do that. I was going to order a hatch cover as well as I prefer those to the big patches but was pleased to find one in the box which I didn't expect as not listed in the contents. I did order some other things; battery pack, extra cord etc. so perhaps they put one in as a bonus?

Piccies later.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 25/04/2021 14:39:57

Chris Fellows
                        Participant
                          @chrisfellows72943

Hi all

Finishing the DF was interrupted by a phone call from my wife and two of her sisters who had gone on a long walk which finished at a pub! Manners not to!

Rigging the jib didn't take long and then I installed an Rx and checked that the rudder and winch operated correctly. They did, but I was using my Hitec Optic 5, a basic but quality Tx that I use for the HydroPro, but I could only get 80mm of travel on the sheets as opposed to the 115mm required by the instructions. You can increase the end points by using a screwdriver, not ideal, but only on Channels 1 and 2 and as the winch is on Channel 3 then no good.

So I had to use my quite expensive Hitec Flash 8 Tx which is OTT for a yacht (and in fact for the Faireys which I bought it for, but as we know they are primarily designed for aircraft) but it has lots of adjustments on all channels and a 30 model memory. I couldn't get 115mm but I got 110mm which is close enough.

df6a.jpg

df7.jpg

When fitting the sheet to the jib, the instructions said to run it from the clip on the winch cord and through the two eyes in front of the mast. Doing this, the sheet was rubbing on the base of the mast, so I routed it through one of the eyes taking the elastic, which didn't introduce much of a change in direction.

Just some tidying up of cords left to do and then it's ready for the water. This may have to wait though as the battery pack in the Tx isn't charging/holding a charge, using it's supplied charger. I'll try my smart charger and if that doesn't work it's a new battery pack, drat!

Chris

df8.jpg

Edited By Chris Fellows on 27/04/2021 13:53:03

Eddie Lancaster
                          Participant
                            @eddielancaster

Looking good Chris, talking to my one of our club members on Sunday he had the same problem with the jib sheet getting trapped under the foot of the mast.

I have also been watching a YouTube video recommending that you replace the top and bottom O rings on the fin box with a silicone bead to give a better seal.

Eddie.

Chris Fellows
                            Participant
                              @chrisfellows72943

Hi Eddie

Glad I spotted it before tieing the jib sheet. Surprised there are still minor things like this given that the model is now Version 6? Easily sorted though.

Yes, I've read about the silicone. I didn't do the HydroPro and have never got any water in. It can only get into the keel box area anyway and not the hull so it's not a biggie.

Battery looks like a goner so going to find and order another one. Forgot to say that the hatch does come as part of the package as it's mentioned in the instructions and you use it in conjunction with the patch. I shall use white electrical tape as I do with the HydroPro as it's less fiddly than fighting a patch under the sheets and elastic etc!

Other thing I like is that you get a couple of extra bowsies and a clip and plenty of cord. I did get some extra though as it's easier to tie knots in more generous lengths.

Chris

carl brotherton
                              Participant
                                @carlbrotherton75833

I do not know if I should start a separate thread.

I have purchased a DF 65, as a means of learning how to build a model yacht with a particular emphasis on rigging.

Most things initially went reasonably well, until I actually started the rigging.

At present I am trying to attach the "Luff Rings" to the sail (main). These items look a little different to the image in the instruction book. There is a small loop at one end, the image shows this loop going through the eyelet in the sail.

The small eye of the LR is supplied closed (the image it is seemingly shown open). Opening the loop up, would potentially peirce the sail at some point, in the future. I am wondering, should the loop be used in conjunction with the thread supplied to tie the LR onto the sail?

Finally is it etiquette to start a new thread?

Edited By carl brotherton on 28/04/2021 15:36:12

Edited By carl brotherton on 28/04/2021 15:37:17

Chris Fellows
                                Participant
                                  @chrisfellows72943

Feel free to add to this thread. I wont be saying much more apart from when I give it a test sail. This won't be happening until my new Tx battery arrives though.

As far as the luff rings go you need to open them to pass through the eyelets on the sail and left open until you pass the mast through them. Close them when the instructions tell you to (the instructions are pretty good and clear).

It's best to use a couple of pairs of long nosed pliers to close the luff rings. They are very secure once closed.

Chris

carl brotherton
                                  Participant
                                    @carlbrotherton75833

Chris

I did eventually work out what was written in conjunction with what was actually intended.

I do accept that the instructions are well written, particularly when compared to many of the instructions from the Far east. What they cannot replace is some knowledge and or experience from real live experiences, or observation as to often common practice and observation.

I have never actually observed any relatively recent (past +50years) model yachts, particularly at close quarters, other than once seeing a group sailing on our local boating lake (Fairhaven) at a distance. This has lead to misinterpretations of what is current practice. Perhaps more importantly, as to why, and any alternatives

I come with a number of prejudices that were or are not immediately recognized, by myself. An example is that i am building another yacht from plan, I had assumed that perhaps =+2mm Deema thread or fishing trace wire was needed for the rigging. The kit indicates that 1mm dia. Deema can be adequate. It seems that the rigging does not see the forces that I anticipated as normal.

Thanks for your permission to use this thread, as I suspect that with reference to the DF, there is a lot I am less than certain about, not withstanding the excellence of the model, particularly with reference to this beginner.

Eddie Lancaster
                                    Participant
                                      @eddielancaster

My DF65 is in the post, ordered at 9-05 this morning, may arrive tomorrow but certainly by Monday.

I visited a local club that sails 65’s yesterday and they all use soch sails A+ rigs nearly all the time, most of them also change the wire forestay with a dyneema cord, they say it gives a softer jib luff and makes for better sailing in lighter winds. Looking forward to an out of the box build for a change.

Eddie.

Chris Fellows
                                      Participant
                                        @chrisfellows72943

Carl – yachts, particularly the rigging, can be confusing for the beginner, as I was (well still am!) with the HydroPro, not helped by the instructions! Forces can be high, particularly when gusting, but the DF is a tried and tested design now with many 1000s being raced around the world. A tip on earlier versions was to epoxy in the deck eyes and for those securing the bridle to fill the recesses with epoxy but with V6 more meat has been provided for the eyes to screw into so not really needed.

Obviously I've got the HydroPro as an example to help with rigging if required, though there are some differences. Now that I've rigged two I've got a basic understanding of how it works.

I've done some reading up/watching YouTube on tuning the sails etc. and have set up those on the DF now ready for the test sail. Having done that I've looked at the HydroPro and the jib is too far away from the deck so I'm dropping that down. In fact I'm going to redo the rigging so that I can use the bigger bowsies as used on the DF to make adjustment easier. Also they aren't tied correctly even though it was as per the instructions! I bought the bowsies sometime ago but have ordered some other bits and pieces along with the numbers for the DF.

Eddie – jolly good. I take it they race at that club? And if so are you going to have a go? I didn't intend to race when I bought the HydroPro, got it to learn how to sail and general sailing but couldn't resist and really enjoy it. It's only club fun racing though!

Interesting that they change the wire forestay for cord. That on the HydroPro is cord. I'll see how the A rig goes and maybe change to A+ later and change the HydroPro to A from B – it was supplied with both.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 30/04/2021 16:06:50

Eddie Lancaster
                                        Participant
                                          @eddielancaster

Hi. Chris, yes they do race, but like your club in a friendly leisurely way, I intend to race with them as it will be the only way I may be able to improve my skills as a helmsman. As I see it with everyone using the same boat it is only the sail setting and how you sail that affects what position you cross the finishing line, plus some luck.

Eddie.

carl brotherton
                                          Participant
                                            @carlbrotherton75833

Naivety rules again

I cannot get my bowie to maintain tension on the Backstay. I guess, or should that be, know, I have done something wrong.

wp_20210430_20_09_44_pro.jpg

Please forgive the loose threads, which I have left until i get the detail sorted.

What is wrong?

Steven S. 1
                                            Participant
                                              @stevens-1

Hi Chris – I too have just bought and rigged my first sailboat, a DF65 and found the Mainsail Rigging instructions on page 5 of the manual to be very clear. If you look carefully and thread the Dyneema through steps 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 you will be able to tension your lines.

bowsie.jpg

Steven S. 1
                                              Participant
                                                @stevens-1

Actually this sketch may make it a bit clearer.

bowsie 2.jpg

Chris Fellows
                                                Participant
                                                  @chrisfellows72943

Hi Steven

I did the bowsies fine on the DF, as per the instructions and your sketch. It's the ones on my HydroPro that need redoing. I did them as per the instructions (which I think are wrong!) but some are impossible to adjust. They maybe would work with bigger bowsies as per the DF – the smaller ones used on the HydroPro appear to be the only cost cutting over the DF.

Slot booked at the club tomorrow so will see how it performs.

Chris

Eddie Lancaster
                                                  Participant
                                                    @eddielancaster

Hi Chris, I have seen a video somewhere that with some dyneema it is difficult to adjust the bowsies.

I am looking forward to hearing about your first sail with the new boat and some pictures.

Eddie.

Chris Fellows
                                                    Participant
                                                      @chrisfellows72943

Hi Eddie

Trouble with the HydroPro ones is that they are very small and the instructions show the cord going through where you tie the bowsie as well as the other two holes. I didn't know any better at the time so followed the instructions!

Numbers for the DF arrived today from RC Yachts as well as the bits required for re-rigging the HydroPro.

Very light wind initially at the club, which is what I wanted, as I wanted to see how it performed under those conditions. Moved along nicely, so happy with that. Wind did increase a bit later and it scooted along very well – unfortunately didn't get any shots of it heeled over as it was usually just before a collision course with the bank! Overall very pleased with its performance and looking forward to the racing season.

I also gave the Club 500 a run as I'd changed the Tx from an Acoms 27meg stick type to the Radio Links 2.4Ghz trigger/wheel type that I use for another race boat. Once I'd got it to run straight that was good fun.

Chris

df on water 1.jpg

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 75 total)