do you know this boat ?

Advert

do you know this boat ?

Home Forums Collectors’ corner do you know this boat ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    david thibodesu
    Participant
      @davidthibodesu29699

$_57.jpg$_57 (7).jpg$_57 (3).jpg$_57 (2).jpgI recently purchased a beautiful large model motor boat n EBAY UK

The selller stated he was selling the boat for a relative and it had been stored in an attic about 60 years

The boat is 50 inches ling with a beam of 10 inches

It apears to be built from a kit with die cut plywood parts

It is powered by a TAYCOL SUPERMARINE electric motor which idss in excellent condition.

The only change I am amking to the boat is to add RC control for the rudder

The TAYCOL reference material on the iternet states the SUPERMARINE model motor was made from 1954 to 1958 and there are very few still out there

thanks

Dave Thibodesu

Hopkinton NH

USA$_57 (10).jpg

Advert
      david thibodesu
      Participant
        @davidthibodesu29699
        Charles Oates
        Participant
          @charlesoates31738

Hi David, I date from a little earlier than your model, so as you might expect I’m interesred from old boats. I was suprised that I didn’t recognise it, as a boy I wanted every model I saw, and most of us remember things like that.
          This made me sit down for a pleasent Sunday afternoon with some 1955 / 56 model maker magazines. I’ve drawn a blank.
          It’s not from any of the well known makers, like aerokits, Veron, Hales, Marinecraft, and it’s not in my 1954 Basset Lowke catalogue. The only idea I can come up with is The model shop, Newcastle, who made small runs of kits for a while, but I don’t remember anything 50 inche long.
          I’ve also checked the plans handbook from the ’50s and ’60s……nothing.
          Anyway, you have a delightfull model, I hope you enjoy it, some pics of it on the water will be good when you have it running.
          Your Taycol is much easier to deal with. Have you seen this web site by one of the regulars on here ? It’s very helpful.
          http://taycol.co.vu/
          It shows how to use a Taycol with modern rc, I’ve done this myself last spring, it’s easy and it works.
          Ignore those who say to put a modern motor in, go for the character and fun of a classic.
          Good luck,
          Charles

Edited By Charles Oates on 30/08/2015 17:29:24

Colin Bishop
            @colinbishop34627

I don't recognise it either!

Colin

david thibodesu
            Participant
              @davidthibodesu29699

Thank you for your efforts

There is something else that puzzles me a little

On the port side of the deck alongside is a 3/8 inch hole

I nave been pondering about what ths might have been used for

The only option I could come up with is that this was he locatin of a searchlight

So I have found an appropiately sized searhlight, did some modificaion to fit he boat

It looks good to me

ashley needham
              Participant
                @ashleyneedham69188

David. Very nice find, in a very nice original condition and not too dissimilar to Bobs and Pauls Gentlemans cruiser.

To be able to use the Taycol would of course be most fitting. Having just had a little look at the suggested site I can see that it is possible to suppress them…I had always read that they were impossible to silence, and using a 2.4Gig set will help.

Good luck,

Ashley

Paul T
                Participant
                  @pault84577

Could it be a modified Speranza?

david thibodesu
                  Participant
                    @davidthibodesu29699

the general design looka like a Halvorsen 50 motor yachthalvorsen 50 motor yacht.jpg

Ian Gardner
                    Participant
                      @iangardner62867

Hello David,

I'm fairly certain this is a design called Magaret, designed by John L Langford, described as a Fast Cabin Cruiser. It is to be found in the catalogue of Harold Underhill designs, the power craft section. The plan was 49 1/2''by 10 1/8''.

The catalogue is published by Brown, Son and Ferguson, of Glasgow. I'm pretty sure I have a copy of the plans- they weren't cheap! Model Dockyard in Cornwall list them – they are numbered L10 and L11.

I think the giveaway is the angled bottom to the front window on the wheelhouse front.

Hope this helps and you are a lucky man to have found such a lovely boat!

Regards,

Ian

Colin Bishop
                        @colinbishop34627

Ian is right, this is certainly John Langford's 'Margaret'. I don't think it was ever produced as a kit although I could be wrong.

Colin

Ian Gardner
                        Participant
                          @iangardner62867

I'm glad you agree Colin, as I'd have put money on it. There were three designs on the same hull, Maragaret, Elizabeth, a fast day cruiser but without the broken sheer, and Barbara, a cabin cruiser designed for steam or diesel.

I saw a lovely example of Babara with a Cheddar plant installed when I once attended a Cheddar open day. They make very impressive models and the plan is very detailed regarding the structure of the hull- maybe one day!

I'm also sure I have never seen a kit produced from these designs.

Ian

david thibodesu
                          Participant
                            @davidthibodesu29699

Ian

I wwant to thank you fo this wonderful news

I consider some vintage wooden model boats as worka of art anf this boat certainly fits that efinition

The first time I saw this boat on EBAY I knew I had to own it even though all of my vintage wooden boats are sailboats

I am just a custodian forf the boats I own an hope someone in the future will appreciate them

I have a web page consisting of model boay images which consists mostly of sailboats with a handful of model power boats

http://www.flickr.com/pondyacht

6,7000 images

spanning 262 years (1753 – 2015)

72 countries represented

4,7500,000 views by internet users

I will order a set of the plans for this boat and have them framed

Thank you for your interest and effort

Dave Thibodeau

Hopkinton NH

USA

The first impression I got from the online listing were a sens of a powerful seawoprthy design

Mark R
                            Participant
                              @markr

Looks a lovely model.

Here's details of "Margaret" from an early Bassett-Lowke catalogue.

Hope this helps.

Mark

margaret.jpg

Edited By Mark R on 03/09/2015 20:43:10

Ian Gardner
                              Participant
                                @iangardner62867

My pleasure to help- I recognised it straight off as I have the plan. It would be great to see some photos of the boat in action at some stage. It's also good to see the clipping from the Bassett Lowke catalogue.

Have fun!

Ian

Martin Field 1
                                Participant
                                  @martinfield1

A beautiful boat indeed. I'm pleased the guys coud help with ID.

On the Taycol front….I have a Supermarine Special which was bought new with my Aerokits Crash Tender when I was 11, which was 1963. I think you'll find that they were produced for many more years than you have been told.

Indeed I bought a New Old(ish) Stock Taycol Target from the model shop near Southchurch Park's lake in the 70's.

They work perfectly with modern suppression techniques as mentioned above. Indeed my one worked perfectly with its original REP carrier wave single channel R/C, without any extra work.

But be warned, they EAT batteries. Mine never lasted long even on a second hand motorbike Lead Acid!

BUT, they look and sound fantastic and that particular boat deserves one. I am only today fitting a Taycol Target into a Darby One Design hydroplane I am building from plans in a (just) post war motor Boat and Yachting book.

Best of luck with boat and motor.

Martin

Dodgy Geezer 1
                                  Participant
                                    @dodgygeezer1
                                    Posted by david thibodesu on 29/08/2015 20:00:34:

……………………

It is powered by a TAYCOL SUPERMARINE electric motor which idss in excellent condition.

The only change I am making to the boat is to add RC control for the rudder

The TAYCOL reference material on the internet states the SUPERMARINE model motor was made from 1954 to 1958 and there are very few still out there

…………………………………….

I'd be interested in any reference stating that the Taycol SUPERMARINE was made from 1954-1958.

My understanding is that you have, as you say, a SUPERMARINE, a fairly late one, going by the plastic end-caps.

Taycol made three different motors with that frame size – the MARINE, which was made from about 1954-1958 (and is very rare), the SUPERMARINE, which was made from about 1957-1982 (and is fairly common), and the SUPERMARINE SPECIAL, which was made from about 1959-1971 (and is fairly rare).

david thibodesu
                                    Participant
                                      @davidthibodesu29699

margaret 14.jpgmargaret 12.jpgmargaret 14.jpgmargaret 11.jpgthanks for your information on the Tycol supermarine motors

I have attached some phoos of the Taycol supermarine motor which looks like it was manufactured from 1957 to 1982

The BAY seller of this boat stated the boat came from a relatives estate and had been in an attic for 60yearsmargaret 14.jpg

Martin Field 1
                                      Participant
                                        @martinfield1

That's a later one with the plastic bearing bush. My one (from 1963) has a brass plate holding a felt pad for lubrication. Lovely to see a real Taycol coupling too. They help make all the noise I associate with these motors.

Cheers,

Martin

david thibodesu
                                        Participant
                                          @davidthibodesu29699

The first time I turned thr motor on I thought it was going thru self destruction due to the noise genberated by the rather strange square shaft coupling arrangement. Fortunatley when the boat is in the water and the motor is under a load it has a very nice growl

Dave

david thibodesu
                                          Participant
                                            @davidthibodesu29699

Aspecial thank yu for Ian Gardner who uncovered the origin of Margaretmargaret 1.jpg

Martin Field 1
                                            Participant
                                              @martinfield1

David, that growl is what I love about Taycol motors. And the suppression thing is all a blind. I have used REP single channel, early digital proportional and later digi prop in my crash tender with no suppression at all and all worked just fine. No idea about 2.4 though as my Spektrum DX 5 e is still in it's box.

Martin

Dodgy Geezer 1
                                              Participant
                                                @dodgygeezer1
                                                Posted by Martin Field 1 on 22/04/2016 09:02:12:

David, that growl is what I love about Taycol motors. ….

…and the smell. Don't forget the smell! Which comes from the oil on the brushes. So don't forget to oil the brushes well – an unusual instruction for an electric motor, but one required by the instructions…

Taycol Instructions

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)