Differential Steering

Advert

Differential Steering

Home Forums R/C & Accessories Differential Steering

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    stewart somerton
    Participant
      @stewartsomerton50348

I recently bought (off e-bay)a cheap r/c speed boat. So that I can race wife,who has same,I am trying to up grade radio system(a bit)the boat has a so called differential stearing system,push stick to the left and power is cut to left motor/prop.It works quite well and I’d like to keep it. I quess I’m looking for some kind of relay that will work from a basic 2 channel receiver,taking power from speed controller to each motor via relay operated by stearing out put.
      As you’ve probablly quessed by now I know next to nothing about r/c systems so this may not be possible whith “over the counter” components.The other alternative is to use two speed controlers(one for each motor) but is it possible to run second controller from stearing out-put? Any suggestions,however obvious they seem to you,greatfully receieved
      yours humbley stewart.

Advert
      Graham Haden
      Participant
        @grahamhaden82325

Each motor requires an ESC, The throttle & steering from the RX go in to the unit, the outputs are to your steering servo and 2 or 3 speed controllers “ESC”
        Check this out http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/

Malcolm Frary
        Participant
          @malcolmfrary95515

You can hook two ESCs and a ruuder to a two cannel set using a mixer. This will give differential steering, only better, because it will be proportional. The rudder is optional in this case.

stewart somerton
          Participant
            @stewartsomerton50348

hi,thanks for the suggestions.But i think you chaps have underestemated my ignorance.I’m still not clear that a ESC (electonic speed controller?) will operate off channel 2
            the same as it will off channel 1.I guess i’ll find out as
            soon as it arrives from honk kong.In the mean time i have
            fabricated a simple (some might say crude) servo operated
            switch to cut power from one or other motor I’ve yet to see
            how well it works under load.However I’m keen to know where
            I might source aforsiad mixer
            many thanks Stewart

Graham Haden
            Participant
              @grahamhaden82325

Mixers are available from
              Barry Blyth [[email protected]]

Malcolm Frary
              Participant
                @malcolmfrary95515

As far as the RX is concerned, the ESC is just another servo. In the elder days, a servowould work a controller via a linkage, the ESC avoids having the linkage and quite often issmaller than the servo in the first place. Nothing wrong with the switch arrangement apart from it being a lot less progressive than the full ESCs + mixer arrangement. A lot cheaper as well.
                Mixers available from Action, Mtronics and several other manufacturers. Have a google for “RC mixers”.

stewart somerton
                Participant
                  @stewartsomerton50348

dumb question

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)