Dave Milbourn RIP

Advert

Dave Milbourn RIP

Home Forums All things floating Dave Milbourn RIP

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Colin Bishop
      @colinbishop34627

Thanks for that Ian, many people will have been unaware of Dave's backstory. He sent me photos of the Perkasa while he was developing it and despite his protestations that it wasn't really his thing, (too much detail), it was obvious that he was making a superb job of it. I think it will be very popular when it appears. He will certainly live on in his designs.

Colin

Advert
      Chris Fellows
      Participant
        @chrisfellows72943

Dave's profile also gives other aspects of his history.

Chris

Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

I hadn't thought to look at that Chris, yes, a potted autobiography of an incredibly talented modeller and designer.

Colin

neil hp
          Participant
            @neilhp
            Posted by Ian Hull 1 on 10/03/2021 12:08:07:

I first met Dave in the 70s when he moved south to join Model Avionics as a designer, his first project was to produce a 46in Fairey Huntsman 31 followed by a smaller version at 34ins I think that's where his interest in the Fairey Marine range of boats started. I can't remember how long he was with us but I know he returned to Nottingham to join HM Revenue, but in his spare time he still carried on doing design work for President Kits which was a spin off from Model Avionics.

Probably little known to a lot of modeler's Dave worked with John Rudd MD of President to help produce a big range of unique slot together Model Aircraft Kits the most famous of which was the foam winged Hi-Boy Trainer that sold in it's thousand's around the world.

I started a modeling company using the established name of Slec in 2000 and would catch up with Dave occasionally to talk about different projects I was working on, and he in turn told me what I should be doing (he was good like that). After seeing a Model Boat plan editorial written by Dave I asked him to design some kits for me, and over the next few years three different Fairey Marine kits where released.

Having now exhausted the Fairey range I managed to persuaded him to finish a Vosper KD Perkasa that I had started although he wasn't keen he started it but moaned at me every time we spoke how he hated doing it, but he still supplied a great set of CAD drawings with instructions and a beautifully finished model which was Dave's trade mark. I picked the finished Perkasa and paperwork up from Dave & Liz's home last November and that was the last time I saw him.

The modeling world has lost a good friend and great designer. I'm glad I met him all those years ago

Rest in Peace mate.

what a beautiful obituary Ian Hull. sadly i only wish i had known him anywhere near as long as yourself………still cannot believe he has gone…………..but never forgotten. a lovely guy to have known. bless him.

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

Dave's funeral arrangements can be viewed here:

**LINK**

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 13/03/2021 20:21:19

Byron Rees…(Ron)
              Participant
                @byronrees-ron

I had the pleasure of chatting to Dave a few times about technical stuff. He was an extremely talented electronics wizard as well as a fine modeller. He had a laugh when I showed him a photo of a slimmer me in the water with one of his early large Huntsman models, about 40 years on. That model cemented my love for Fairy Marine boats and I still own three. His passing is another blow which will take some time to get over. He made his mark on the history of Model boating in this country and his name and designs will go on to future boat builders, a suitable epitaph to a great builder and designer. May he rest in peace, all our thoughts go out to his family and close friends at this time.

Banjoman
                Participant
                  @banjoman

Having not looked in at the forum for several weeks, I only now saw the mournful news of Dave's passing.

I met Dave in person just the once, at the IMBS in 2018, but had and have been in contact with him, on and off, both here on the forum and outside it, before and after that, and found him a most delightful person, with a keen intellect, a solid sense of humour, a ready tongue and readier wit, extensive knowledge, a readiness to share that knowledge, and a willingness to help and encourage others.

The world of model boat building will be a lesser place without him. The world be will a lesser place without him.

I'm deeply saddened by his loss, and would like to extend my most sincere condolences to his family.

Mattias

Colin Bishop
                    @colinbishop34627

I have just heard from Liz Milbourn as follows:

Colin

HI Colin my family and I have been reading all the tributes posted about Dave,it's really good to hear all the praise and to appreciate the high regard in which he was held.Please pass on mine and my families thanks for all the kind messages,

Regards Liz

Colin Bishop
                      @colinbishop34627

Liz Milbourn would like to share the image below in memory of Dave.

When they were clearing out his clothes, her daughter took away Dave's favourite shirt that he had worn for years and his Action R/C Electronics fleece without her noticing it. She then presented Liz with 'Little Dave' made out of his shirt and the fleece and with the Action R/C Electronics logo displayed. As Liz says: ‘Such a lovely idea! so I have my 'Little Dave' now to remind me of the bigger one and he even has the same clothes!’

One could imagine Dave’s comments on this – they would probably include a reference to his favourite glass of Jack Daniels but the rest might have been unprintable!

I’m sure many of us will raise a glass to Dave to mark his funeral on Monday. Webcast details are listed on the other thread on the Forum.

RIP Dave, we’ll certainly miss you.

Colin

little dave.jpg

neil hp
                      Participant
                        @neilhp

that is so beautiful and made with such love, care and devotion……..

we will all miss you dave and with such love in our hearts, for you as a human being, and for what you gave to our hobby, and i would like to send my best wishes to your family to.

where ever you went to Dave, may yur spirit run wild and free and your charisma light the darkest of corners of your eternal home………..god love you, as we all did and do.

neil, the electronics idiot.broken heart

Derek Bradley
                        Participant
                          @derekbradley32270

I have not looked at the forum for some time until today and it was only when I got the latest magazine that i saw the sad news about Dave. I did not know him personally but I enjoyed our chats on the Forum especially about Fairey boats. He will be a great loss to the model boat community and, obviously to his family, to whom I send my heartfelt condolences.

Colin Bishop
                            @colinbishop34627

Dave is not forgotten.

I have recently been listening to the Eagles on YouTube with their song ‘Take it Easy’.

Dave selected it for his funeral which I watched online and it was played as the service commenced.

Just so typically him and still much missed.

Colin

neil hp
                            Participant
                              @neilhp

indeed he is……..brought it home to me at the blackpool show 7 weeks ago, when i was feeling a little rough and he wasn’t around to take the P out of me, god love him………missed and never forgotten.

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)