china tea clipper Ariel

Advert

china tea clipper Ariel

Home Forums Sailing Models china tea clipper Ariel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    hutch
    Participant
      @hutch73959

Hi Guys

My version of Airel a China Tea Clipper {Photo in albums}

She is balsa plank on ply frames from a plans only two sheets { now have four} after the build! had to use drawings from the internet .the first frames I built were no good had to start over.

The 3 mast are turned with a servo each, the spars are fix to the masts.The rudder and the Spanker have a servo each as well.the rigging rope is made on my rope making machine.

She is 56in 1.3meters long 8in 20mm wide and keel to the top of the main mast 35in 809mm high plus the lead keel another 4,3/4in 120mm.a total 38,3/4 in 929mm.Will have to wait until the 8 Jan for her first sail.

Cheer Hutch

Advert
      hutch
      Participant
        @hutch73959

scratch built

Bob Abell 2
        Participant
          @bobabell2

Well done Hutch for sorting out the photo posting problem?

Nice sized model and should be very enjoyable, twiddling with all those servos too

Your next challenge is to post a video!………..Can't help you there, old chap

Bob

Bob Abell 2
          Participant
            @bobabell2

Hi Hutch

With all that sail area, topside………..How have you dealt with the ballast problem?

Just curious

Bob

hutch
            Participant
              @hutch73959

HI Bob, Guys 5/2/19.

To day was the first launch of my model of Ariel a china tea clipper with the full set of sails,she sailed backwards till I found that I had not turned the R/C receiver on! She looks good but I do have some issues to fix, One, not all the servos have the same ark of travel, will have to change some around. Two, did not take any photos!!! will do that next week once I have fixed the servos so the three masts swing the same amount side to side.

Three, the wind was very light but fluky it changed from NE to SW and back again plus we have lots of tree around the pond All in all I am happy with the way she looked and responded to the wind.

Cheers,

Hutch

ashley needham
              Participant
                @ashleyneedham69188

Hutch. Very tricky, square riggers, to sail especially without the wind coming from only one direction.

Is your ballast easily removable? Having seen some tall ships in the past, I would countenance taking extra boltonable ballast for when you try it and the wind is strong. Ashley

Bob Abell 2
                Participant
                  @bobabell2

Nice model, Hutchy

Next time you take a photograph, try and get a descreetly positioned Fan Heater to fill the sails?

It looks like a limp lettuce at the moment…….Friendly comment

Bob

ashley needham
                  Participant
                    @ashleyneedham69188

Bob. Very crafty using a fan to fill the sails! Good thought, but would this look correct with the ship on a stand??

(Comment for discussion regarding artistic merits on photographing static sailing ships)

I shall be photographing the London at some stage and will explore this possibility!

Ashley

Bob Abell 2
                    Participant
                      @bobabell2

Hi Ashley

It`s worth a try

What are you on about……..Photographing the London?

Bob

ashley needham
                      Participant
                        @ashleyneedham69188

Ah Bob, you have not been following the chat on today’s boating! I am making a 90 gun two decker, the HMS London. Three masts, sails and so on. Ashley

hutch
                        Participant
                          @hutch73959

HI Bob,

you are right about the lettuce look ,but in light winds the sails do not fill out,and its going to be some time before I sail her in stronger winds, have to learn how to control her before I am game to do that!! hope to have photos of her in the water next week.

I am going to make a bigger rudder as she does not seem to answer the helm that well with the existing one.

Ashley,.

The ballast is a fixed 5 kg of lead {see photo } but if I need any more weight it will be put in the bottom of the hull plenty of room just like the real ships .

Cheers Hutch.

Gareth Jones
                          Participant
                            @garethjones79649

Hi Hutch,

How are you getting on adjusting the servos of your model of Ariel? Have you had the chance to carry out some more sea trials yet. We are planning to take our A class racing yacht out for some spinnaker testing tomorrow.

We watched a programme on TV last night in the Impossible Engineering series. The subject was the three masted super yacht Black Pearl. As usual it was a bit short of real technical detail and repeated some bits over and over, as though the average listener can,t remember what the programme was about after the adverts have been on. However the subject was a very impressive piece of engineering with three independently rotating masts, no standing rigging and about the same sail area as Ariel. It would make a good project for you to follow on from Ariel, Elizabeth and I are quite tempted to have a go at it for a future high tech project, quite a contrast to a Humber keel which was supposed to be next.

Here is a link to some info on Black Pearl https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Pearl_(yacht)

black pearl.jpg

Regards

Gareth

Edited By Gareth Jones on 14/02/2019 12:35:43

hutch
                            Participant
                              @hutch73959

Hi Gareth,

Last Tuesday was wet so did not go the the pond {its the first rain we have had since the 19th December 2018 ! }

Have tested the servo's settings they are OK its the lack of rudder control so next trip will be with a much bigger rudder it fits over the existing one just bolts on have to do this pond side as well as the drop keel the main mast only just fits up right in the station wagon.

My next build will be a Freighter maybe MV Emily May or the one in the 2019 December issue of model boats will have to wait till I get a copy its about three months wait for the mag to arrive in Australia.I do have the digital copy but no plans come with it.

I am not happy with new e version its too hard the read and will not fit the screen its ether to big or to small !!!

Cheers

Hutch.

ashley needham
                              Participant
                                @ashleyneedham69188

Gareth. I saw a bit of that. Well impressive! Make a great model, and no rigging!! Would be very easy to do with carbon fibfe masts and so on. The self-unfurling sails might be tricky though?? Ashley

hutch
                                Participant
                                  @hutch73959

Hi

I forgot Black Pearl I think its a very nice looking super yacht {but the her indoors does not like it}

The model would need to have a servo on each mast { like my Ariel} for control, as for the furling /unfurling I would not use it as it could bring more problems that one would need but then I am not such a good modeller as some others !!!

As for more photos the drivers will only let me down load photos once then I have to unstall the program then re install it a bit pain I am looking for a better one. so much for smart phones &&^^%%$$#@@! I now have Samsung mini tablet hopefully I can use it instead of the phone.

Cheers Hutch

hutch
                                  Participant
                                    @hutch73959

Hi Guys

Well I did buy a i pad {not new} I tried to down load a music app but its would not as it was a 32 bit not 64

what ever that means any way exchanged it for samsung mini this works great even down loads photo without any problems so next Tuesday I will take photos of Ariel on the water her second run weather permitting.

I will hopefully have some footage of her sailing. without the limp sail look !!

Cheers,

Hutch.

hutch
                                    Participant
                                      @hutch73959

Hi Guy

Well the second sail yesterday did not go so well, the grub screw on the rudder post came loose so I only had sail control of Ariel , plus the wind was very light and fluky {our pond is surrounded by trees} and I asked a friend to take photos with my mini pad, no luck there either! so it was a bit of a let down, but when the wind picked up she looked great with a good turn of speed till the wind dropped and changed direction then she sailed backwards to the surprise of the Adelaide shipwrights group guys in attendance. So its back to the work shop for some ajustments.

Will try again next week .

Cheers,

Hutch.

Tim Rowe
                                      Participant
                                        @timrowe83142

It is quite a complicated business to tack a square rigged ship and risky also with the possibility of getting stuck in irons. Not good if you have an opponent lobbing cannonballs at you. There are some useful videos on U Tube.

An alternative, often used if there was plenty of sea room was to wear the ship (ware in the US) which has simpler sail handling. Again refer to U Tube.

In many big ships change of course was more down to manipulating the sails with rudder assist. The rudders main use was to keep the vessel on course once it had been trimmed correctly.

Being able to work the sails independently in a scale way is going to be tricky so I think your comment earlier about rudder authority was spot on. I think you are going to need quite a large and powerful rudder to get it to go where you want.

Tim R

hutch
                                        Participant
                                          @hutch73959

Hi Tim, Guys.

My sail control. The spars are firmly fix to the mast and the masts rotate with each having a servo so they are independent of each other, plus the spanker has its own servo as does the rudder, the latter has now a much bigger

attachment that is removable for transport. The rudder post now has a flat filed on it for to give more grip for the grub screw. I do understand about the problem's of sailing a square rigger, its going to be a slow learning curve but great fun as well.When everything is shipshape I will try sailing in stronger winds.

Cheers

Hutch

hutch
                                          Participant
                                            @hutch73959

Hi Guys

I still have to sail her with the rudder extension,locked in place,did not have the time yesterday I only got to the pond when my wife rang for me to pick her up from the doctor/dentist.so it will be next week before the group meets again.

A Adelaide Shipwrights member has a key to the barrier across the road were we park next to the pond, we are only allowed to use the parking bays once a week on a Tuesday 10 am till 12 noon.

Will keep you all informed watch this space!!

Cheers,

Hutch.

hutch
                                            Participant
                                              @hutch73959

HI Guys

Well I have fixed the rudder problem I think! will not know till she go's back into the water.last Tuesday we had no wind. and as she is only powered with wind so I will have to wait till the next weeks sailing day Tuesday

We as a group only have the use of the pond and car parking from 10 am till noon.plus as I am not that good with the R/C control I need someone to help me.

Will keep you all informed.

TTFN

Hutch.

hutch
                                              Participant
                                                @hutch73959

Hi Guys,

re Ariel.

Well I did put her in the pond yesterday the wind was very fluky again {must be the trees around the pond}, it did not know what way to blow so she spent most of the time sitting in iron's or sailing backwards! but I did get one run at quite a fast clip she looked great. No photo as yet as I was too busy sailing there own models, must get one of our group to stop sailing and take some photos for me, beg beg beg grovel grovel.

Must replace the flag on top of the mizzen {did not notice it was missing} so I can see whats going on out in the middle of the pond.

Must get back to my new hobby 3D printing its a very steep learning curve but with some help from a good friend I will get there !

Cheers,

Hutch.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)