Can any body Identify This?

Advert

Can any body Identify This?

Home Forums Collectors’ corner Can any body Identify This?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Len Morris 2
    Participant
      @lenmorris2

Hi Everybody,

I have a speed boat hull that I think people called a 'Flaty.

First off all here's the story.

Our old toilets at work were being replaced. The plumber ripped out some 6 feet of 2 inch diameter lead piping. I offered to buy it from him but he gave it to me for free (apparently with the price of scrap metal these days it wasn't worth his time to weigh it in). When he asked why I wanted it and I replied to melt down for model boat keels he said come with me. Out the back of his van he pulled out a model boat hull and said give this a good home! Apparently on his last job the hull had been pitched into the site rubbish skip and he'd rescued it! He wasn't into model boats at all but could recognise something that should not be destroyed. Brilliant! I have his card and he will certainly be my next call when I need any plumbing done!

Now here's the boat, some 7 pictures:-

p1020722.jpg

p1020725.jpg

p1020726.jpg

p1020727.jpg

p1020728.jpg

p1020730.jpg

p1020729.jpg

She was obviously powered by a diesel or glow plug and you can see the cut out for the exhaust and the hole for the throttle adjustment. She's 25 inches long with a beam of 9 inches.

She just looks too good to be a scratch build so I suspect it's a kit from somewhere.

I intend to make her electric, fit a simple 2 channel and give her to the local Rotary club for their next auction (I'm really only interested in scale models), but it would be nice to know what she is.

Best Regards

Len

Advert
      Len Morris 2
      Participant
        @lenmorris2
        Charles Oates
        Participant
          @charlesoates31738

That looks very like one of Phil Connelly's designs from the late 1960s to early 1970s. Blue streak was very like that but I think it was a tad smaller. He was one of the first exponents of flatties.

Good luck with the project, great idea and cause.

Chas.

Martin Field 1
          Participant
            @martinfield1

I was going to say…pure Philip Connelly!

But I strongly object the assertion that anything can be "too good to be scratch built"!! What a bloody cheek!

Martin

harry smith 1
            Participant
              @harrysmith1

You can park this one in my workshop any time!!

I would install a brushless 28mm 1700kv motor on a Lipo 3S 2650mah battery and a 2 blade 30mm prop.

Len Morris 2
              Participant
                @lenmorris2

Dear Martin,

Just so you know, the boat raised some £40 for charity (and probably cost me the same amount in the effort to get rid of it to a good home!). Perhaps my earlier words were chosen poorly, but it is not difficult to recognise the difference between a machine cut product and a hand cut product.

Regards Len

Ray Wood 3
                Participant
                  @raywood3

Hi Len

This is XQQME a free plan in MB's June 1976 Class A racer by our old friend Vic Smeed, looks similar

Regards Rayxqqme dec 16 004.jpg

Charles Oates
                  Participant
                    @charlesoates31738

Hi Ray, I don't think it was same. Xqqme was smaller and a different shape. Note the way the Phil Connelly's boat has the deck meeting the chines, very typical of the Blue streek evolved boats. I once saw one of Phil's boats with a Veco engine, it was the nosiest thing I've ever heard. They bring back lots of great memories.

Len Morris 2
                    Participant
                      @lenmorris2

Hi Ray and Charles,

Thanks to both of you for you replies. Just so you know I no longer have the hull. It was sold at my local Rotary club auction but I know where it is and who now owns it. I've got all the MB magazines from the sixty's onwards and will dig the June 76 issue out of the attic to pass on (Thanks Ray). Even if it is not the actual hull, the plans and information are likely to be close enough to provide good information. These things seem to be like bullets and your comments Charles are very perceptive. I will ensure the new owner knows the history. Now back to mi submarine!

Len

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)