battery size

Advert

battery size

Home Forums R/C & Accessories battery size

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Young
    Participant
      @jerryyoung62912

whats the formula for working out the size of battery needed to run a single motor?

ie V & Amh

motor size is about a 540 or 600 which will run on 6-12v ,max amp draw at the moment is unknown

i don’t want to buy too small a battery or over do it with a wapping great power station either

Advert
      Telstar
      Participant
        @telstar

Hi Jerry

Battery size is dependant on more than the motor.   the size and type of model can often dictate the size/weight of battery that can be fitted.  I am of the schoole of thought that would rather fit a bigger battery than use lots of lead ballast to get the boat to its waterline.  As a retired electrical eng. I prefer to use higher voltages ie I prefer 12v system to 6v, but having said that I do use 2 x 6v batteries to provide 12v very often.

Perhaps you could let us know the type and size of model, so we can advise you better

cheers Tom

Jerry Young
        Participant
          @jerryyoung62912

hi tom

u.s. customs picket boat, 39 " long X 8" beam. 1/6 plywood hull with 1/8 plywood frame and keel. superstructure is 1/6 ply. plans call for a 1" prop.

according to the plans she does not sit very low in the water.

hope this helps

jerry

Telstar
          Participant
            @telstar

Hi Jerry

I think this comes into the type ‘Fast patrol boat’.   To get a good performance I think you need to be looking at Nicad (or similar) batteries. Gel cells are about twice as heavy as nicads.   A 30mm prop (not a racing or ‘X’ prop) with a 7.2v  battery on somthing like Electronize 545-46 motor would draw something like 10A and get hot so cooling would be necessery. However a 543-23 motor would draw about 4A, but the difference in performance would be noticable.  Using say a 4200mAh batttery with the former would give roughly 20 min sailing, while with the latter you would get nearer 1 Hr sailing.

Hope this helps Tom

Jerry Young
            Participant
              @jerryyoung62912
            Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)