Aux channels

Advert

Aux channels

Home Forums R/C & Accessories Aux channels

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Horsfall
    Participant
      @johnhorsfall73959

I am part way through my first model of a Thames barge and have reached the point where I need to buy a transmitter. It is important that I select one which has all the features I might need.

One aspect that I don’t understand is how to lower and raise a leeboard at a reasonably slow speed using an aux switch. Firstly can I connect a servo to an aux connected channel? If I do presumably the servo will whack over when the switch is activated. This doesn’t sound good for the servo nor do I want the leeboard to move so quickly. So how do I slow it down?

it must happen all the time eg ramps lowering, turrets turning, undercarriage lowering so how do people make it happen.

in particular is there a transmitter feature which I need to look for to control a servo speed?

Advert
      John Horsfall
      Participant
        @johnhorsfall73959

How to lower a leeboard using aux switches

Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

Hi John,

Welcome to th forum. There are other people on here who are more knowledgeable but from what I have read, leeboards on model thames barges are not usually operational because they are not very effective in practice and the barge will need a detatchable keel anyway to keep it from capsizing under sail.

There is however a device from Component Shop (Action Electronics) called a servo morph whih can be set to adjust the speed and throw of a servo.

**LINK**

I''ll leave further comment to the experts.

Colin

alan burgess
          Participant
            @alanburgess78098

You need a 'Servo Slow'.

Here's one:-

MRW09 Servo Slow

Or Component Shop's Action Servo Morph :-

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/p96-servomorph.html.html

Others can be found with a Googling.

Blast – Sorry ! Colin beat me to it by 3 minutes.

Edited By alan burgess on 14/11/2022 10:01:23

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

Hello John,

I'm afraid you may get the same answers on here as you have been getting on the AMBO Facebook page, even the cheap old radios I use has proportional Aux controls with a knob to control auxilliary functions you will need a separate servo for each board as there is only the windward one down at any one time, as has been said the Lea boards if weighted will lower by gravity your just pulling them up. you will need 9" travel on which ever device you use.

It's quite busy in the barge with the Mainsail & Vangs lever servos, where would you locate the lifting servos ?

Regards Rayv2 030219.jpg

Colin Bishop
                @colinbishop34627

Great minds think alike! We like to be helpful on here.

Colin

John Horsfall
                Participant
                  @johnhorsfall73959

Thanks a lot guys. I am impressed that so many people answered the question so quickly.

As you guys spotted, it was a radio control question which you answered in detail. All discussion about the pros and cons of leeboards, whilst very interesting, didn't help me in my search for a good beginer transmitter. I was afraid that slowdown functionality would be offered in some transmitters but I now know thats its an add-on which I can worry about later.

I am leaning towards Flysky FS-i6s which seems to have everything I might need and at a good price. While I think about it does any make of servo work with the Flysky?

Gareth Jones
                  Participant
                    @garethjones79649

Hi John,

I included working leeboards on my 1:16 scale model of a Humber Sloop. I used a pair of 6 turn sail winches from Component Shop and they are controlled from the gear and flap switches on my 6 channel transmitter which is a Spektrum T6EX, They operate at quite a realistic speed, probably much faster than in real life when they would have been hand cranked by the crew, but OK on the model. There is a link to the build thread here **LINK**

In practice the leeboards are not effective in preventing the model being blown sideways but they are a good scale feature to add.

Gareth

Edited By Gareth Jones on 14/11/2022 16:30:07

Edited By Gareth Jones on 14/11/2022 16:30:32

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)