Atlantic 21 class lifeboat rib

Advert

Atlantic 21 class lifeboat rib

Home Forums Building Kits Atlantic 21 class lifeboat rib

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    neil hp
    Participant
      @neilhp
      Posted by Richard Simpson on 13/03/2022 17:47:52:

Neil, Did you see the RIB that just finished on Ebay for £890.00? Check out Mayhem for the picture.

just had a friend send me a picture of it……..remember the sale a couple or so months ago.

that was a restoration job, as the outboards and mast were scratch built, probably the originals were missing on the old boat, [as the mast is plastic and easily breakable if knocked and outboards used for something else i presume…….but it still made a colossal price……..

there was another restored model of same but an original with all parts original but without electronics fitted as the deck was solid [not cut away for access] running at the same time, and that sold for £760.00p a couple of days earlier .

Advert
      neil hp
      Participant
        @neilhp

quite happy with it so far.

Unfortunately I cannot find my Frog maskng tape and so, am forced to wait untl tomorrow to mask off the orange before I paint the grey of the sponsons.

I use frog tape becaise it has perfect edges which dont allow any "bleeding" underneath the tape as it gives a perfect edge…….and is much cheaper per length in roll to Tamya tape.

i shall be out early tomorrow to buy some.

img_1768.jpg

img_1769.jpg

img_1770.jpg

img_1771.jpg

neil hp
        Participant
          @neilhp

Have had to send off through Amazon for some masking tape that I like to use, as no one in the Fylde area had any Frog tape…….it will be with me tomorrow.

So in the mean time I made the grab handles for the sponsons, using 0.50mm plastic card.

Made a few extra just in case of breakages, lol

img_1772.jpg

img_1773.jpg

img_1776.jpg

Richard Simpson
          Participant
            @richardsimpson88330

Great fan of Frog Tape myself, not only for masking but also I use it a lot for such things as turning it back to back to secure small parts for spraying etc. Incredibly useful.

neil hp
            Participant
              @neilhp
              Posted by Richard Simpson on 14/03/2022 22:12:28:

Great fan of Frog Tape myself, not only for masking but also I use it a lot for such things as turning it back to back to secure small parts for spraying etc. Incredibly useful.

i do that too, Richard, and tape it to a piece of cardboard………..holds them well.

neil hp
              Participant
                @neilhp

and a little more of the small detailng parts added to the seating pod……..those little bits will be brush painted with Humbrol enamel.

they are the crew safety grab bars, the boats wheel and the motor morse repeating throttles……..remember one of those from my days as a narrow boat owner…….used to sail a Caldercraft Clyde puffer from my narrow noat on a nice hot evening………..those were the days lol.

img_1780.jpg

img_1781.jpg

img_1782.jpg

neil hp
                Participant
                  @neilhp

my frog tape aived this lunch time so!!!

Underneath all paper masking tape and black spray, there is , hopefully an Atlantic 21 rib that has been sprayed with Halfords rattle cans in orange, grey and black.

i said hopefully and will know in an hour .

the rest of the parts that i have made so far are waiting to be sprayed, and the wodge of plasticine sat on top of some Lego plating is a one off use mould for other parts that fit to the boat, that i shall cast in resin tomorrow, cant be bothered doing it tonight……a better start fresh in the morrow.

img_1783.jpg

img_1785.jpg

img_1786.jpg

img_1787.jpg

img_1788.jpg

img_1789.jpg

img_1790.jpg

img_1791.jpg

img_0235.jpg

neil hp
                  Participant
                    @neilhp

well!!

Mr Dave Stavros Jones, as my mentor?

not bad for a novice aprentice……what do you think

img_1792.jpg

img_1793.jpg

img_1794.jpg

img_1795.jpg

img_1797.jpg

img_1798.jpg

neil hp
                    Participant
                      @neilhp

did a bit of reworking of two old figures that i had in stock and made 20 odd years ago!

the one sitting aft wouldnt sit on the rear seat with the other two that were supplied with the original kit and the one at the bow in the pictures wouldn't fit anywhere!

And so i decided to give them the chop……i cut both legs off each and repositioned them so that one is kneeling and the other "genuflecting" at the stern.

i will mould them and probably eventually put them on sale with my other figures and also modify them to sit on the more modern ribs in more modern attire, but for now, just for the early prototype Atlantic 21 B-1.

I really do enjoy fiddling with such little details. hopefully they will be in silicon rubber split moulds next week.

img_1800.jpg

img_1801.jpg

img_1802.jpg

img_1803.jpg

img_1804.jpg

neil hp
                      Participant
                        @neilhp

A little detailing of the seating pod has been done this evening……

just a few little bits to do once the white paint has dried, plus the channeling cover for the outboard motor controls has been glued to the deck[sp;it of course to allow removal of the pod].

i need to find a radio areal and a micraphone and base in my bits and pieces tomorrow, paint the grab rails black, fit the fire extinguisher at the rear, and that is that part done.

img_1814.jpg

img_1812.jpg

img_1811.jpg

img_1809.jpg

img_1808.jpg

img_1807.jpg

img_1806.jpg

neil hp
                        Participant
                          @neilhp

and whilst i was watching a late night episode of M.A.S.H., probably the only American comedy i enjoy and like,

i took 4 pieces of plasticard, did a wee bit of cutting and sanding, and hey presto…….

i ended up with the small plough anchor fo the Atlantic 21

img_1821.jpg

img_1822.jpg

img_1823.jpg

neil hp
                          Participant
                            @neilhp

Well, my new addition to the Atlantic 21 fleet is almost finished.

I have the chain and rope to add to the plough anchor.

The outboards have to be fitted together painted and added to the transom and the lettering adding to the orance flashes, and that is it…….

Yippeee, another one restored!

And thanks Andrew Cowling for giving me the chance to build another one into a special boat…..the first one from the Atlantic College, in Wales.

img_1836.jpg

img_1837.jpg

img_1838.jpg

img_1839.jpg

thats the bow hawes ring that was another little scratch built last minute fitting……….made two………as i lost the first one in a 5th dimention.

img_1842.jpg

img_1843.jpg

img_1844.jpg

img_1845.jpg

img_1846.jpg

neil hp
                            Participant
                              @neilhp

It was a choice of either go out and howl at the orange full moon tonight,

or

Get on with the 21…..so the latter won, and all I have to do now to finish the boat is to link up the outboards to a servo inside the boat, put on the Evinrude stickers on to the engine covers, find some chain and "rope" for the anchor, and then find the cord i have for the sponson grab lines and rings, name the boat…….and that is it………..oh and yes, paint the 3 grab hancles that are attached to the seating pod….

AND THEN it will be finished.

img_1854.jpg

img_1857.jpg

img_1858.jpg

img_1861.jpg

img_1863.jpg

Richard Simpson
                              Participant
                                @richardsimpson88330

I'm sure this could be made into a suitable article for the magazine. You've certainly got the level of detail and the text wouldn't require a lot of reworking.

Nice neat paint job by the way, looks spot on.

ashley needham
                                Participant
                                  @ashleyneedham69188

Fantastic build quality as always Neil. Love the figures, very nice.

I have never had much success in using plasticine as a temporary mould. The stuff seems to move and grab the bits. Is there a special technique?.

Ashley

neil hp
                                  Participant
                                    @neilhp
                                    Posted by Richard Simpson on 19/03/2022 09:09:22:

I'm sure this could be made into a suitable article for the magazine. You've certainly got the level of detail and the text wouldn't require a lot of reworking.

Nice neat paint job by the way, looks spot on.

thanks Richard………i tend to get a rollocking of Dave stavros if i dont do it right, and have learned to be patient in my old age…………and get better results than i used to.

he's a mouthy old sod, but means well lol.

neil hp
                                    Participant
                                      @neilhp
                                      Posted by ashley needham on 20/03/2022 07:56:32:

Fantastic build quality as always Neil. Love the figures, very nice.

I have never had much success in using plasticine as a temporary mould. The stuff seems to move and grab the bits. Is there a special technique?.

Ashley

i use "art" plastercine Ashley, not the model casters plasticine which is a lot harder, but otherwise, get just as good a mould when i want just a few.

neil hp
                                      Participant
                                        @neilhp

i wont go into the frustrations of 3 days on here, but to say that the links were finally made from the outboards to the servo and fitting the last of the bits to the hull.

sadly i did order the wrong size BECC Vynil lettering for the sides of the sponsons, and so will have to wait to apply them before the boat is finally finished, within the next couple of days, but i'm happy with the results.

now just waiting for the return of the Liverpool hull from Dave in Wales, and i can crack on with that one too!

img_1877.jpg

img_1883.jpg

img_1882.jpg

img_1884.jpg

img_1907.jpg

img_1909.jpg

img_1910.jpg

img_1911.jpg

neil hp
                                        Participant
                                          @neilhp

They make a fine pair even with such a

h armless pair of crew members.

The first Atlantic 21 has been "named" and just awaiting the "EVINRUDE" transfers to be printed and applied to the outboard motor covers on B – 1 and then i can get on with my Liverpool class lifeboat once Dave Stavros Jones gets his finger out and finishes painting my hull…………only joking mate.

Now I have two built……….the first from Atlantic College R.N.L.I. B-1 AND the first Atlantic 21 to go to Blackpool for trials, B- 525 which was un named but later took the name of SPIX's MACAW when she eventually went to Ireland on service.

I am quite pleased with the rejuvination of both boats, and will look forward next winter to making the 3rd and final 21 for my collection as B-594 Herbert and Edith, the last but one 21 to be built.

She was stationed at Port Erin, Isle of Man. I never saw her, but as a 15 year old lad spent a lovely 2 week holiday on the Isle of Man in AUGUST 1966 when I saw the sister boat to Fleetwoods Ann Letitia Russell, the Mathew Simpson, and the next ON Number allocated 823 Watson 41' on the boat house slip……..

Plus I got to see the full practice week and race week of the IOM TT bike races……..it was a lovely holiday.

Now hopefully back o the Liverpool class lifeboat

img_1915.jpg

img_1918.jpg

img_1921.jpg

img_1923.jpg

img_1925.jpg

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)