1940’s Customs Launch

Advert

1940’s Customs Launch

Home Forums Scratch build 1940’s Customs Launch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    David Balmer
    Participant
      @davidbalmer73866

can anyone help in my search for a drawing for the above model. in the early 80’s my father got hold of a copy of model boat with the free drawing of this vessel.  after purchase of balsa, we set to in making this boat.  the hull was made and the deck planking/ ply deck was fitted.  for some reason or other the boat was never completed and eventually ended up in the scrap pile.

now that i have my own son and wish to start model boat making, i looked at prices for kits here in canada and found out quickly that they cost far more than i can afford. so i came back to the thought of this 1940’s customs launch.  it’s within my basic knowlege of boat building.  i have looked in all the plans publications online and also magazines, alas it seems to have gone.

if i remember correctly it was the shape of a clinker fishing vessel, forward mast with access hatch to below deck area .  single basic wheelhouse, similar shape as a clyde puffer.  the name cumbrae comes to mind but i could be wrong on that.

many thanks David Balmer

Advert
      Jerry Young
      Participant
        @jerryyoung62912

try this link

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robert.mcmanus/plans.htm

its a us customs launch

David Balmer
        Participant
          @davidbalmer73866

thanks for the link, have looked at this but not the one i’am looking for.  the vessel in question was scottish in origin. just noticed the name cumbrae within the hobbystore plans but no picture shown.

Jeremy Thornton
          Participant
            @jeremythornton94807

Is this the sort fo thing you are looking for?

http://www.steamengines.co.uk/chimera.htm

dave allen
            Participant
              @daveallen30531

hi david there is a kit of the cumbrae a 1960s pilot cutter made in the uk by caldercraft kits and it can be seen on the westbourne models site http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk

and Vic Smeed did a plan, plus the map plan number was mm/1235 and is available through my hobbystores

hope this helps

dave allen

Charles Oates
              Participant
                @charlesoates31738

Hi David,

I think the plan you are looking for may be Guardsman, a pretty customs launch given free in Model Boats in the 80s. The link below will take you to a page with a picture of a model of this called Lady Sarah.

I’ve recently pulled out my plan of this and have just started building it myself, It’s got lots of character. The plan is I think still available from model boats plans.

If this is the model let me know.

Chas

http://www.north-cheshire-marine.org.uk/mmbc.htm

David Balmer
                Participant
                  @davidbalmer73866

thank’s for the photo link,  i have a stong feeling that this might be the boat i was looking for.  i have noticed a description in the plans section of this website. but they don’t show a picture of it.  might i ask if you have a link to a larger photo, just to confirm this is the actual vessel.   i do know that there were no commercial kits for this vessel and it was constructed via the bread and butter method. 

now i have to get back and continue with my lads pusher tug, nice and easy for me to build.

dave

dave allen
                  Participant
                    @daveallen30531

hi david  can you give some idea of the length of the boat as the clue was in the bread and butter build, for the 47 inch BADGER customs launch plan numberMM/796 it can be accesed on the my hobbystore website

hope this may help

regards dave allen

David Balmer
                    Participant
                      @davidbalmer73866

hi dave,

the only thing i can remember about this vessel was it was approx 12inch long, once built.   also after some time went by, model boats plans advertised the plan again, with the option of purchasing a vac formed hull.   i have looked at the photo of the badger on the hobby  site and would say this is not the one.   i guess one day i will find it, thanks to all for helping me try and find this plan.

it’s times like this i wished we had made a copy and put somewhere safe for a later day.

dave

ps added 18th ,  just looked at the hobbystore and i think the guardsman is the actual model i have been looking for.  it’s the only model that has plans and a vac hull of that era 1930’s.   thanks to all for help in this search.          

Charles Oates
                      Participant
                        @charlesoates31738

Hi David,

I’ve uploaded a picture of Guardsman into my pictures, just click on photo by my name etc.  The model is not mine, I found it on the web some time ago, and kept it to help me build mine. The model is a credit to it’s builder. I’ve not found much info about Guardsman, or about any of the customs cutters, but they did have some nice boats.

I think Guardsman was quite a bit earlier than 1940, it looks reminisant of the steam tugs of around 1900.  There was an earlier and equaly pretty boat called Dolphin, I saw drawings for this in an old Model Boats mag from the 1960s, when I was a lad, I’m glad I kept all my old magazines.

R Carpenter used to have a wonderful series of historic craft drawings, great for anyone looking for a prototype. Perhaps I should ask Vini if these can be re printed.

Chas

David Balmer
                        Participant
                          @davidbalmer73866

Hi Charles,

thanks for the photo, yes this is the vessel. after looking at the wheel house front access ladder and skylight.   these are the only parts i remembered building for my model.   it was the aft section that threw me, i could not remember what was placed there.  again thanks for the help. i can now send off for the drawings and start again and hopefully finish this one.

Dave

ps added evening time.  just ordered the drawing from the hobbyshop. any hints and tips about your build would be great.  will start my boat sometime in the summer. have to finish the lads boat first.

merlin
                          Participant
                            @merlin

Hi! David

The model you are after is called Guardsman, it is a1920’s steam launch, finished length of model is actually 22inches OA  and without  looking I think 5.5 ins beam

It wasdrawnby Vic Smeed many years earlier than the mag article and again I think, to1/32nd scale                                 

I am the builder of such a model based on the plastic hull, which used to be available from MAP.so if you want to know anything just ask.     I have built many bread and butter hulls over the years and from memory the article in model boats gave several options in the hull build eg. B/B, Plank-on-frame and  the vac forming, as I at the time wanted a quick build I chose the vacform, made into nice little model, still sails well on our local lake.

I will see what I can find in the archives  ( the roofspace really )  who knows what treasure I may uncover.      Will keep you posted.

Merlin 

David Balmer
                            Participant
                              @davidbalmer73866
                            Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)