Who will test my boat’s steam plant?

Advert

Who will test my boat’s steam plant?

Home Forums Steam powered models Who will test my boat’s steam plant?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anthony McLennan
    Participant
      @anthonymclennan92657

I’ve had a Krick Victoria steam launch for almost 30 years. Some 25 years ago I changed the steam plant to a Cheddar Puffin unit which worked well. Then I ended up living abroad for a good number of years during which the Victoria was in storage. Now retired, I have been excitedly renovating the boat, only to discover that the rules governing small steam boilers have dramatically changed. When purchased, boilers under 3 bar litres did not require certification, but now, under the rules of The Boiler Test Code 2018 – Volume 2, a whole host of new rules apply. I have read the Test Code, cover to cover and, as an engineer, completely understand the requirements. I have also read Richard Simpson’s Boiler Room articles which have been very helpful. My problem is, where do I get my steam plant tested?

I now live in Derbyshire and am the only steam member of the Derby Model Boat Club. I have spent hours on the internet trying to find a club in the Midlands who could help resolve my dilemma. The Cheddar Steam Club have been very helpful but they are a three hour drive away. So, does anybody know of a steam boat club in or near Derbyshire or an organisation who tests miniature steam plants at a reasonable price? I’m almost on the point of giving up and going electric. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Tony

Advert
      Anthony McLennan
      Participant
        @anthonymclennan92657
        Roger Clark
        Participant
          @rogerclark

Try searching for model engineers derbyshire, brought up lots of possibles, look for one's that have a track and you'll find boiler inspectors who might be able to help.

Regards

Roger

Anthony McLennan
          Participant
            @anthonymclennan92657

Thanks Roger, I'll give it a go. Maybe I've been too specific in looking for model boat steam clubs.

Roger Clark
            Participant
              @rogerclark

Let us know what the outcome is Tony.

Regards

Roger

Richard Simpson
              Participant
                @richardsimpson88330

Tony,

I am around one and a half hours away from your club in Lincolnshire. You are welcome to bring your boat here to have it tested. We also have a Steam Day at The Kirklees Model Boat Club in April, which is about one and a quarter hours away from your club, where we test any boats on the day. They are only steam tests though, if you want a pressure test doing you would have to visit Kirklees on another day or bring it here. If you have the original certificate it is all very easy, if not it still isn't too bad with a Cheddar unit.

I have sent you this message as a PM with my phone number.  What ever you do stay with steam, it is not as difficult as it might all seem and a Cheddar plant, as long as it is not a Proteus, will only need an annual steam test once we have it sorted.

Edited By Richard Simpson on 22/02/2020 23:15:43

Anthony McLennan
                Participant
                  @anthonymclennan92657

Just to bring the posts up to date. I have taken up Richard's kind offer to organise the testing of my Cheddar boiler. So, with fingers cross, I could be steaming away this summer. Also a thank you to other members who have contacted me with helpful advice.

Happy steaming

Tony

Roger Clark
                  Participant
                    @rogerclark

That's chuffing great Tony, glad you're sorted out and you'll have great fun with your steamer. yeslaugh

Regards

Roger

Captain Flack
                    Participant
                      @captainflack

Is there a problem with a "Proteus" plant that is different from other Cheddar Models?

Richard Simpson
                      Participant
                        @richardsimpson88330

No, I just suspect it will be above the 3 bar-litre limit so would require pressure testing as well as the annual steam test.

Captain Flack
                        Participant
                          @captainflack

OK, thanks for that. I thought the proteus to be 2.96 but heyho could be wrong.

Richard Simpson
                          Participant
                            @richardsimpson88330

Its only an assumption, don't quote me on that, you may well be right.

Richard Simpson
                            Participant
                              @richardsimpson88330

So having now dug out my old Cheddar crib sheet,

Proteus Vertical, Total capacity, 300ml, Working Pressure, 6 bar so a bar-litre figure of – 1.8 bar-litre

Proteus Horizontal, Total capacity, 650ml, Working Pressure, 6 bar so a bar-litre figure of – 3.9 bar-litre

I did not realise they made a Proteus Vertical so it very much depends on which one you are considering. These numbers come from Cheddar themselves when they were in business.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)