Which wood

Advert

Which wood

Home Forums Static modelling Which wood

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    simon j
    Participant
      @simonj47917

Just wondered which wood people mostly use for their static models?. I've read a bit about lite ply, is this suitable for a static hull for instance?

Thanks.

Advert
      simon j
      Participant
        @simonj47917
        Dodgy Geezer 1
        Participant
          @dodgygeezer1

I'm not a static modeller, but I would imagine that internally any material could be used (within reason!). The outside is going to look a lot better if finished in solid wood or veneer…

Colin Bishop
            @colinbishop34627

Depends what sort of static model it is. If it is a traditional sailing ship type as is often the case then the hulls will usually be planked in something like lime although liteply could be used for the underlying frames. Weight is not an issue so as DG says above, you can use anything suitable.

Bob Wilson
            Participant
              @bobwilson59101

I always use Obeche, a medium hardwood. It can be obtained in thin planks from model shops or Ebay, and in large pieces from timber suppliers or the internet. It is yellowish in colour, cuts and carves easily and has hardly any knots. A beautiful wood to work. Most of my models are of iron or steel ships, so the texture doesn't matter, as it is all covered up with plating. Here is a lump of obeche on the first day of the Lord Ripon build (Steel four-masted barque).

Bob

The first day of the build

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)