Twin rudder set up

Advert

Twin rudder set up

Home Forums R/C & Accessories Twin rudder set up

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Cadden 1
    Participant
      @andrewcadden1

I am writing from NSW in Australia I am trying to complete the twin rudder set up for the above vessel, I am using only one servo which I believe is adequate if its set up properly that's where I am having trouble I set up for one direction but turn it for the other and I don't get enough angle on the rudder.

I still have the original model boat magazine with the build article by Terry Small very informative except for rudder set up. Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am finding it complicated to add images.

Thanking you in advance

Advert
      Andrew Cadden 1
      Participant
        @andrewcadden1

Yorkshireman

Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

Hi Andrew, welcome to the Forum. you can find instructions for posting images here:

**LINK**

Colin

ashley needham
          Participant
            @ashleyneedham69188

Andrew. You obviously have a bias somewhere. In my experience the various arms, servo andrudder, should all either be parallel or at 90 degrees to each other.

a picture will help us assist.oddly enough in the current Feb issue of MB there is a rudder article which describes this perfectly!

Ashley

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

Ashley is correct in that all linkages should be 'squared off'' to get equal movement.

However there is a review on here by Ivor Warne which shows a slightly angled setup which apparently works. See picture 7 in particular.

**LINK**

Colin

Richard Simpson
              Participant
                @richardsimpson88330

Just a couple of basics to check off.

First make sure the linkages are connected to the far ends of the servo arms to get the maximum movement. An advantage can be gained by also connecting the linkage to a hole closer to the centre of rotation of the rudder tiller arm.

Ensure that the full 100% range of movement is available from the radio transmitter. A lot of transmitters allow you to reduce or even increase the range of movement. Looking at the servo arm 100% range in the transmitter should give you approximately 90 degrees of arc from full one way to full the other way. This should then equate to 45 degrees hard over port to hard over starboard. Some may advocate that more is useable but, for most set ups this is plenty and any more will start to stall the water flow.

Andrew Cadden 1
                Participant
                  @andrewcadden1

Thank you to all for your quick response considering the time difference. This build is a first for me a friend hooked all the electrics up made sure they all work as they should which they do.

I have added an additional image of the servo and rudder stems which hopefully will give you a better idea of what I am trying to achieve. The problem for me is if I locate the servo closer to the stern it will interfere with the rear deck in other words to high. Can I use longer rod linkages and move the servo away from the stern towards the bow.

Also years ago I used to purchase the magazine every month very informative. I am away for a week returning on 30th January will communicate further then. I am available on skype call sign stang 390 or messenger Face Book.

Once again appreciate your help ,I also noticed another member is also building the same vessel.

Richard Simpson
                  Participant
                    @richardsimpson88330

You can basically have the servo as far away as you like as long as it is powerful enough for the job and the linkages are supported where needed.

As an example I once converted a Revel plastic 1/72nd U-boat and put the rudder servo almost in the centre of the model. This was because of limited space in the rear, the fact that I wanted to use the scale rudders and the fact that I wanted to minimise the access down to a single hatch. I used model aircraft rods supported in plastic sleeves, as frequently used in model aircraft to transmit the movement, which worked very well.

15-02-06-01revellu-boatconstruction9.jpg

15-02-06-03revellu-boatconstruction11.jpg

24-02-06-01revellu-boatconstruction17.jpg

24-02-06-09revellu-boatconstruction25.jpg

Edited By Richard Simpson on 23/01/2022 11:56:11

ashley needham
                    Participant
                      @ashleyneedham69188

I use model aircraft slinky nylon control lines. These have a stiffish plastic outer and a plastic inner rod. The one on my big destroyer is about 30 inches in length, on a standard servo, no probs.

Having looked at your pictures, one of the servo arms needs to be an “L” shape, and then the servo arm can be reposition 90 degrees, and push on the arm that will then be going cross-ways. This will give you an even turn either side.

Ashley

Edited By ashley needham on 23/01/2022 13:45:17

Steven S. 1
                      Participant
                        @stevens-1

This is how I linked up the dual rudders in my paddle wheeler. [I've also shortened the motor output shaft since the picture was taken]

twin-rudder-linkage.jpg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)