Trojan – Designed by Edgar Westbury

Advert

Trojan – Designed by Edgar Westbury

Home Forums Steam powered models Trojan – Designed by Edgar Westbury

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ray Wood 3
    Participant
      @raywood3

trojan 1.jpgHi All,

Here is a change of direction for me during the never ending furlough, this little 5/8" Bore by 5/8" stroke engine is the next stage on from an oscillating engine, the castings are available from AJ Reeves for about £80 plus the bits of bar and bolts etc.

Have reached the stage of milling the ports and drilling the steam passages and machining the slide valve not that far to go

Regards Raytrojan 2.jpg

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

Single Cylinder Slide Valve Steam Engine

Bob Abell 2
        Participant
          @bobabell2

Hi Ray

I gave my old friend Les Jones, a set of castings for the Trojan

Sorry to say, he passed away, before he finished it

Bob

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi Bob,

I nearly had a heart attack when I looked at the price of locomotive castings these days wow !!I

I suppose it's less popular than say 40 or 50 years ago as the skills fade away 😢

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 02/07/2020 20:27:40

Boiler Bri
            Participant
              @boilerbri

Well get you Ray. The model looks nice. Have you a vessel in mind. What about a boiler?

Bri

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi Brian,

Maybe a steam drifter trawler with a spirit fired boiler from a gauge 1 project loco, I'm not keen on gas firing 😀

What are you building still yachts ??

Regards Ray

Boiler Bri
                Participant
                  @boilerbri

We have worked through the lockdown but only doing a half day. The other half has been taken up with all sorts of things. Bit of garden railway modelling. Detailing the Brit and trying to get my traction engine on to its wheels

bc012dea-49ea-46cb-8506-880f43f1c835.jpeg
                  The yacht building stalled out a bit. I think I see making boats as a winter thing as the wood is warmer to play with than metal in the winter.

I also chop and change a lot depending on mood. The club is in total lock down as well so no boating at all. Some of the members have moved to a reservoir near my home but every-time I plan to go something crops up. Winscar res. Thursdays are not good for me and now the rules in Wales are about to change I will be off to my cottage. We have not been able to go since March which has been very strange. Normally we are there 3 weekends in 4 Thursday to Sunday.
                  Bri

Boiler Bri
                  Participant
                    @boilerbri

I have just noticed the drawing in your photo. 3/16 instead of 3/4 diameter of the cylinder end cap. Don’t you just love the old MAP plans and drawings. 🥴

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi Brian,

Your traction engine is well on the way 😀 what scale is she 3" or 4" ? I miss being a member of an engineering club with the variety of interests of the members, I have recently sold some long term projects like a Sweet Pea chassis which I knew I'd never finish, but I still have a Boxhill to complete 😯

Regards Ray

Boiler Bri
                      Participant
                        @boilerbri

Hi. Ray.
                        It is a 4” beast. The wheels are assembled with bolts. I just need to do the rivets. 1/4” so they will take a bit of doing.

I am a member of North Wales Model engineering club. I joined when I was recovering from Cancer. The track is at the end of the bay at Llandudno in west shore. The views are stunning when your riding around.

There is also an excellent boating pool there and if there is no playing trains I can sail 🤗

Cheers

Bri

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)