Todays Boating

Advert

Todays Boating

Home Forums All things floating Todays Boating

• This topic has 5,000 replies, 83 voices, and was last updated 4 days, 11 hours ago by Richard Simpson.
Viewing 25 posts - 4,876 through 4,900 (of 5,001 total)
  • Author
    Colin Bishop
      @colinbishop34627

I used deluxe materials sand’n’seal acrylic (paint?), and it’s a bit like ezekote with a filler/thickener. This may have sealed any hairline gaps.

I have Sand & Seal and Eze Kote and find it is the other way round! The Sand & Seal is a sanding sealer and certainly does fill grain and hairline cracks. It sinks into the surface more then Eze Kote which is a resin coating and definitely thicker.

I do rather suspect that the two are not that different, just a bit of tweaking of the chemical formula.

I must say that when it comes to reinforcing joints the DeLuxe Superphatic is my go to. It just fades into cracks and joints and reinforces the bond beautifully. I used it for the difficult job of adding the external rubbing strakes to my Greek Fishing Boat. I simply taped the stripwood to the side of the hull using Taniya masking tape and then ran Superphatic along the underside of the joint. Very effective.

Superphatic is also excellent at attaching porous to non porous surfaces such as plastic to wood. It seems to have an additive to the aliphatic resin base which enables it to ‘grab’ the smooth surface. The big bonus for me is that it has no fumes and is water clean up whereas normal superglue sparks off an allergic reaction although the odourless version is not so bad.

Colin

(DTR)IMG_5257

Advert
      ashley needham
      Participant
        @ashleyneedham69188

Food for thought Colin. I naturally assumed the sand n seal was thicker as its certainly more gloopy out the jar. As for ezekote drying thicker yes you may be right there. The sand n seal certainly sands very easily though, better than ezekote.

Painting the hull white now, which is showing up several imperfections….minor, but need dealing with. Simply putting a few more coats of primer on deals with most cracks etc.

Motors to be fixed in tomorrow and then it might be ready for a quick test!

Ashley

Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

That’s odd Ashley, my Sand ‘n Seal is and always has been, the consistency of milk. Looks exactly like it too. Sands well.

I have an unused bottle of EzeKote and that is far thicker. – just checked.

The Superphatic I mentioned is like thin cyano, it wicks into joints.

Colin

ashley needham
          Participant
            @ashleyneedham69188

Having shaken the bottles it may well be that ezekote is thicker, but its close!

Motors in and the v tail mixer appears to be doing the business on the hss. Won’t test tomorrow.

Speaking of which assuming it’s dry, coffee with a dash of rum and mince pies I think Sunday.

Ashley

ashley needham
            Participant
              @ashleyneedham69188

….and santa hats!

ashley needham
              Participant
                @ashleyneedham69188

Very blowy at the pond. Ferries wallowing all over the place.

a small boy with parents and an rtr Titanic turned up and sailed the Titanic briefly. Was quite a good model, or would be if the funnels didn’t light up.

xmas tomorrow.  Happy returns chaps and chapesses.

Ashley

Peter Ward
                Participant
                  @peterward23105

Yes very blowy indeed !!

Best wishes to all

Peter

ashley needham
                  Participant
                    @ashleyneedham69188

Hope you all a good Xmas. It’s decidedly blowy here and very gloomy due to storm Fred or something

.however it’s all still in the shed where I am grappling with the superstructure for the HSS. It’s at once straight and curvy, but the front is on ok. The sides are mostly straight but curve at the very front where they meet the flat bits and I am not sure how that’s going to go. I think I will need some Styrofoam formers somewhere…

ashley

ashley needham
                    Participant
                      @ashleyneedham69188

Bit nippy at the pond, and Trevor and I sat on the bench through three lots of rain before calling it a day. Tug and Mintanic respectively.

We went for brisk walk around the park and looked for remnants of the wartime camp in the form of insulated spindle fixed to the trees wot were used to hold telephone wires and so on. I found some before, but rumour has it there were more in some of trees lining Chestnut Avenue and this was found to be the case. Not something you would spot unless looking for them. I think a few dog walkers were wondering why we were walking around some of the trees staring upwards!

Superstructure of HSS done. Front curved round lovely, absolutely spot on on the left, not quite so good on right but only off by a mm or so. Funnels made this afternoon. I am on to the boring bit now, priming and filling. Will have a test before spraying the final gloss white but not until it gets warmer.

Ashley

ashley needham
                      Participant
                        @ashleyneedham69188

Having bleated on about how I wasn’t having login problems….yesterday the site said I was logged on but when I tried to post it said I had to log on?? Using chrome. Seems OK this afternoon.

Tomorrow may be single boat boating again as its not that nice out. Something weatherly.

HSS funnels done and almost plated over. Basically the boat is finished bar painting and final lettering. Its too cold and damp to spray yet.

next boat is going to have a 22 inch long propshaft….

Ashley

Roger Fuge
                        Participant
                          @rogerfuge

Yes Ashley been having trouble logging on for the past two days finally got on to night

James Hill 5
                          Participant
                            @jameshill5

Hi Ashley,

Grabbed the chance to answer while the system says I’m logged in. Glad I’m not the only one whose having problems.

Must be a nightmare for Colin trying to help getting things sorted out.

You said you were the only one posting at the moment. In my defence, Christmas and a bit of decorating at home has slowed me down, but hopefully not for much longer, and maybe the system may be sorted by then.

Always enjoyable reading your posts.

Best wishes….Jim.

ashley needham
                            Participant
                              @ashleyneedham69188

Only joking about the ‘only one posting’!

bit nippy ( very cold) Sunday and the jetty was flooded due to the increased river levels, however there was a bit of mud next to the jetty we could launch from. An hour and a half was enough for us.

HSS funnels giving me grief and I was not happy with them so they have been chopped off! I hate doing remedial work, so I have taken a more pragmatic approach and further simplified them, allowing them to be plated much more easily. Unfortunately I have no more fine ribbed styrene so have ordered some micro-rib corrugated card which should do the trick. The ‘funnels’ are simply shrouds and after much searching I found a picture showing what’s inside, namely two square GT exhaust outlets and not much else. In fact the front portion of the funnels appears to be covered but a mixed grey/black paint job will sort that out.

in point of fact, the styrene was not being held on the boat with the epoxy glue very well, and pulled off much too easily, so card and PVA should be a much better solution. Well above the waterline so no risk of sogginess (obv will be sealed and painted anyway!)

Ashley

Richard Simpson
                              Participant
                                @richardsimpson88330

I resemble that remark.

Richard Simpson
                                Participant
                                  @richardsimpson88330

And don’t forget Ashley, not everyone has A) The ability to be as prolific a model builder as you and B) The ability to talk for England about it!

ashley needham
                                  Participant
                                    @ashleyneedham69188

I did start the thread years ago in order to try and get people to talk about their boating, but after all this time it has turned into a bit of a blog!

i check in on the website every day normally and if I happen to have done something, I might as well post about it! It’s too cold to do much, and although I have been talking about the HSS, in reality there’s not much going on and won’t be until it gets much warmer. A bit more filling and sanding, boring stuff. The funnels were easy to hack off, just slabs of foam on the flat top. 5 mins work and a bit of rough sanding to get rid of the epoxy…it will be covered by more funnel foam and card so doesn’t need to be smooth etc.

Ashley

Richard Simpson
                                    Participant
                                      @richardsimpson88330

I think we are still suffering from the effects of members not liking to see things changed, which of course inevitably had to happen.  To be honest now I think the site is more user freindly than it was but we still have lost a few regulars as a result of the change.  Hopefully they will return and join in again but, as we are all well aware, the hobby is contracting and we are loosing active members constantly.

As a side it was announced only yesterday that one of the biggest model railway retailers, Hattons, is closing down.  They have been in business for 77 years and have always been one of the go-to suppliers for all aspects of model railway items, and many others.  So even the huge industry of model railways is starting to feel the pinch.

Kevin Beall
                                      Participant
                                        @kevinbeall91525

Well I’m getting to the painting stage of my SLEC Huntress, bit unsure about colour scheme so thought I would get the deck finished as that is just stained and lacquered. Masked up the bottom half of the hull which is still in primer and got the hull set up in the corner of my cramped garage and applied a thin coat to one side, put the can of clear lacquer down and turned the hull round to do the other side….then picked up the can of white primer by accident and started spraying! Oh fiddle sticks, or something similar.

Had to wait for it all to dry and gently flat the primer off and start again….what a plonker!

ashley needham
                                        Participant
                                          @ashleyneedham69188

Easily done Kev, no doubt everyone has put something down and then picked the wrong thing up. I bet you didn’t say fiddlesticks….!

i prefer for the final coats to spray everything in one go as you are less prone to get overspray. Not an issue for the first few coats of course.

Hattons closing!, financial or retirement??

Ashley

Colin Bishop
                                            @colinbishop34627

Some info re Hattons:

Their website appears to be unavailable at the moment.

Colin

Chris Fellows
                                            Participant
                                              @chrisfellows72943

Talking of Faireys I’ve been doing a bit on and off recently with the Huntress and River Cruiser. Fitted the windows and started fitting out the cockpits with floors and doors etc.

Chris

n.jpeg-5

n.jpeg-6

n.jpeg-4

Kevin Beall
                                              Participant
                                                @kevinbeall91525

Very nice, I was thinking about doing the same as your first pic, just dark blue cabin, might have to go with “plan B” now or you’ll think I’m copying! Trying to wrestle the pulpit rail into shape now, the kit is supplied with hard brass rod, and looking at maybe using aluminium rod instead as it can be polished and given a coat of lacquer to give a stainless/chrome finish.

Richard Simpson
                                                Participant
                                                  @richardsimpson88330

Hattons closing!, financial or retirement??

Taken from thier website:

“The company is NOT insolvent. The company is being wound down in an orderly fashion, leaving no outstanding debts.

Changing market conditions have had a large impact on the business, we have seen this in declining customer numbers, changing customer demographics and supply chain disruption.

Increased cost of compliance has become a large factor. Brexit, GST and other operational costs of running an international business have all increased dramatically over the past few years.”

An interesting aside, Hattons have a massive advert in all the model railway magazines every month, at least four full pages, frequently more, so this is also a big blow to the major Model Railway magazines.

Well worth checking out if anyone is in the market for glues, materials, paints etc.  and Model Railway items, although there is already little stock available of many things.

Chris Fellows
                                                  Participant
                                                    @chrisfellows72943
                                                    On Kevin Beall Said:

Very nice, I was thinking about doing the same as your first pic, just dark blue cabin, might have to go with “plan B” now or you’ll think I’m copying! Trying to wrestle the pulpit rail into shape now, the kit is supplied with hard brass rod, and looking at maybe using aluminium rod instead as it can be polished and given a coat of lacquer to give a stainless/chrome finish.

Thanks Kevin. Don’t worry about copying as that is what I’m doing as most Faireys use those colours in different combinations. Other Faireys have white coamings and blue hull sides which I’m going to use on my other builds. My Huntress should really have a blue hull bottom which I may or not do – I’m going to do that on my Huntsman 28 though.

I’ve got the challenge of the pulpit rails still to come and have bought some brass rod but I’m guessing yours is the bigger version, mine is only 1:12.

Chris

Tim Cooper
                                                    Participant
                                                      @timcooper90034

Ashley

It’s taken me a few days to get on to reply to the lack of activity.

Personally I am not building anything at the moment. I have my Robbe Dusseldorf on the bench at present. It seems to have developed an intermittent fault with some of the working features. I have just taken the mast apart to replace a small light bulb. I have decided to renew some of the wiring, hopefully making it easier to find problems on the future.

Tim

Viewing 25 posts - 4,876 through 4,900 (of 5,001 total)