The lady jane

Advert

The lady jane

Home Forums Scratch build The lady jane

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mick east
    Participant
      @mickeast46851

To be honest its not really a scratch build more a make it up as I go along. She is very loosely based on ray woods eventide .She just a tad under one meter long and is more a motor sailer than sail boat So I’m not expecting a greyhound type of performance more a slow bloodhound . The bulkhead/frames are 7mm ply and she is skinned in 2mm ply as are the cabin structures and then coated with multiple coats of fg resin. The deck is made ply covered in individual 2mm thick huen pine planks cut from a very old desk top so a nice piece of history incorporated in the model. The electronics are all bits a pieces I have laying arround from previous builds and the keel is cast from 3 1/2kgs of lead plus a further kg or so of internal ballast which brought her down to her water line . All the fitting (working blocks ,winches and various other bits and pieces) are made in house on my desktop lathe . Still a way off maiden voyage as I’m still waiting for the sails to be made  . She is nowhere near perfect but she has kept me amused in my retirement and more importantly out of my wife hair for quite a few months. Sorry about the quality of the photos my phone camera is not the best . I’ve also posted a picture of my work station if anyone is interested  20240313_09590620240313_09584820240313_08433820240313_08542820240313_09581620240313_085217

Advert
      Richard Simpson
      Participant
        @richardsimpson88330

Lovely woodwork.  Neat planking and the running rigging is superbly done.  I’m sure it puts a smile on Ray’s face to see his plans being used in this way to produce another lovely model.

James Hill 5
        Participant
          @jameshill5

A beautifully made model. If it sails as good as it looks, you’ll have a lot of fun with it.

Great pictures…… Jim.

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hello Mick,

As Richard says I’m smiling 🙂  If the Eventide plan helped you to make such a super boat happy days, I notice most people make a better job of building than I do 🙂

Here’s the next one but no sailsShandau52

All the Best  Ray

mick east
            Participant
              @mickeast46851

Thanks guys ,here in the antipodes (Brisbane australia ) the availability of plans is quite limited and the plans available in both the UK and US become prohibitively expensive due to the crazy cost of postage    so any plan that is published in model boats is keenly studied to see if I can modify it to suit the look I want . Thanks Ray it’s the third boat I’ve made using your plans as a base to work from and I am a great fan of your work.

Regards to all my fellow modelers and as the sign above my workshop says  IF YOUR GOING TO TAKE THE TIME MAKE SOMETHING,  TAKE A LITTLE EXTRA TIME TO MAKE IT BEAUTIFUL .

mick east
              Participant
                @mickeast46851

Sails are made and fitted I just need to Finish the electrics before I test her out

20240330_09151620240330_091232

Richard Simpson
                Participant
                  @richardsimpson88330

Beautiful, I’m not a yacht person but I can still appreciate enjoying watching a lovely model sail gracefully around the pond.  I far rather watch one like this that a ready to run plastic version!

The planking really sets yours apart for me, lovely neat job.

Colin Bishop
                    @colinbishop34627

My old 1:1 scale boat was around that size but it didn’t look as pretty as that. Just makes you want to step aboard.

Colin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)