Steam tug

Advert

Steam tug

Home Forums All things floating Steam tug

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Boiler Bri
    Participant
      @boilerbri

I am planning a project for the winter. I know summer has only just begun!

I am loony for drawings for a live steam boat either tug or a launch.

what’s available.
      Bri

Advert
      Boiler Bri
      Participant
        @boilerbri

Project

David Marks 2
        Participant
          @davidmarks2

Check the Sarik Hobbies website. They can supply a wide range of plans for model tugs and many will have featured in MB as a build feature.

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hello Bri,

Good to see you back on the forum As David says there are plenty of tug plans in the SARIK range, I recall a 42" tug called Blazer ??

My own big tug build was Cullamix 39" X 10 " she took 25lbs of old casting to get to the water line !! But she is a Diesel tug

But more than capable of carrying a 4" diameter boiler & Stuart double 10, There is a build thread from way back in 2016  "Thames Tug Cullamix" if your interested.

Regards Raycullamix 061017 003.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 27/05/2023 19:58:59

Boiler Bri
            Participant
              @boilerbri

That’s beauty Ray.
              Thank you both for the direction.

I will look them up and do my research.

I have had a look. Never done a bread and butter model before.
              Do the plans tell you what timber to use.
              How do you get the hull shape correct? 

regards

Brian

Edited By Brian Dickinson 1 on 28/05/2023 08:19:57

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi Bri,

Bread & butter construction is pretty old school just after the war, mine is plank on frame. ply keel & bulkheads & balsa planked & glass clothed. blocks at the bow & stern. or you could go down the Cervia or Moorcock route they were both steam tugs, Sarik drawings for both available.

Regards Ray

David Marks 2
                Participant
                  @davidmarks2

Often a plan will give you options to go down the "plank on frame" or "bread and butter" route, with plans by David Metcalf being good examples. I intend to try bread and butter for one of my planned models. Obechi and Bass (Limewood) appear to be the preferred timbers to use. Many modellers, me included purchase wood from a company called SLEC as it is always very good quality.

Trevor Drabble 1
                  Participant
                    @trevordrabble1

Brian , I have successfully used pine in the past for bread and butter construction . Also , if you're interested , I have an unused fibreglass tug hull available , but no drawings I'm afraid. It unfortunately has sustained some light damage to the upper edges whilst being in storage . Can PM you details if required .

Boiler Bri
                    Participant
                      @boilerbri

Hi Trevor.

That’s a great offer.

What model would it be when finished and how large is it?

I am on holiday at the moment but I will look out for your reply.

Brian

Richard Simpson
                      Participant
                        @richardsimpson88330

I was going to suggest a fibreglass hull, there is a good range from Mobile Marine Models in Lincolnshire, available to buy in parts to spread the cost.

Boiler Bri
                        Participant
                          @boilerbri

Thank you Richard. I have been offered a fibreglass hull which may suit my needs. Sorry the purists.

Bri

neil hp
                          Participant
                            @neilhp
                            Posted by Brian Dickinson 1 on 29/05/2023 19:41:08:

Thank you Richard. I have been offered a fibreglass hull which may suit my needs. Sorry the purists.

Bri

don't be sorry for using a grp hull……….i will only ever use grp hulls……..nothing wrong with them

Boiler Bri
                            Participant
                              @boilerbri

Well this is progressing nicely, the chap who is selling me the hull has forwarded pictures of the tug hull to enable me to identify it.

They are now in my albums and if anyone can shed light on which model it is i would be glad to receive the information. I have tried Cornwall model boats and await their response.

My very good friend John Goodyear (yachting fame in MB) has a splendid steam tug of enormous proportions and if mine turns out like his i will be very happy. That said i have no doubt about the boiler and the engine, i will make them. The hull build has been overcome – which is a great time saving for me. The top side i will have to wait and see on as we are yet to identify what it is.

Richard Simpson
                              Participant
                                @richardsimpson88330

Brian, the history of John's tug model is incredibly interesting. He has spent a lot of time and effort recently getting the model tested and certified and he had it on the water only last weekend. It is running superbly now.  He has been talking recently about selling it so it might be worth a conversation with him.

Edited By Richard Simpson on 01/06/2023 09:50:59

Boiler Bri
                                Participant
                                  @boilerbri

Its too big for me for the space I have thank you.

Bri

David Marks 2
                                  Participant
                                    @davidmarks2

Trevor – I may be interested in the GRP hull should it be unsuitable for Brian to use. I am after a tug hull 28 X 8.5 inch beam or of similar proportions.

Trevor Drabble 1
                                    Participant
                                      @trevordrabble1

David , Thank you for the offer , much appreciated. The hull is approximately 42" long X 11¾" beam and so may be a little too large for you .

Boiler Bri
                                      Participant
                                        @boilerbri

Just to be clear David Marks 1 my comment was about Johns boat not Trevor’s. I am all arranged to see Trevor next week.

Bri

David Marks 2
                                        Participant
                                          @davidmarks2

Trevor/Brian – Yes, the hull is a bit too big and the length/beam proportions are not quite right either.

Trevor Drabble 1
                                          Participant
                                            @trevordrabble1

David . Find your comment on proportions very interesting, not least cos I'm always willing to learn . What proportions would you consider correct please and why ?

Boiler Bri
                                            Participant
                                              @boilerbri

Got home yesterday and as soon as we had packed all our stuff away I shot off into the workshop. Looking through my volumes of ME the 1980 series was missing so I ordered the plans for the warrior engine that was on flea bay only to find the series later on. Never mind at least I have a copy and the words to go with them.

I had the parts cut and machined for a 80mm dia boiler so in an hour or so turned up the formers to bend the boiler end plate to. It might be on the small side for the tug I intend building – time will only tell.

Keith Appleton has some great videos on steam engines for boats so I have been watching them with great interest.

So it looks like the build is on. It will be a mad panic to get things underway as in three weeks i get repairs to my shoulder done so I will be out of action for 8 weeks after the 23rd June. I have seen one legged pirates but not one armed ones. Only Nelson.

looking forwards to visiting Trevor to look at the hull for suitability.

Bri

Edited By Brian Dickinson 1 on 04/06/2023 19:18:50

Trevor Drabble 1
                                              Participant
                                                @trevordrabble1

Brian , All sounds good . Any possibility you could bring boiler for a trial fit ? For what it's worth , I reckon it should be at least 180mm long , with good firing and feed arrangements and a working pressure of up to 60psi ..

Richard Simpson
                                                Participant
                                                  @richardsimpson88330
                                                  Posted by Brian Dickinson 1 on 04/06/2023 19:16:47:

Got home yesterday and as soon as we had packed all our stuff away I shot off into the workshop. Looking through my volumes of ME the 1980 series was missing so I ordered the plans for the warrior engine that was on flea bay only to find the series later on. Never mind at least I have a copy and the words to go with them.

I had the parts cut and machined for a 80mm dia boiler so in an hour or so turned up the formers to bend the boiler end plate to. It might be on the small side for the tug I intend building – time will only tell.

Keith Appleton has some great videos on steam engines for boats so I have been watching them with great interest.

So it looks like the build is on. It will be a mad panic to get things underway as in three weeks i get repairs to my shoulder done so I will be out of action for 8 weeks after the 23rd June. I have seen one legged pirates but not one armed ones. Only Nelson.

looking forwards to visiting Trevor to look at the hull for suitability.

Bri

Edited By Brian Dickinson 1 on 04/06/2023 19:18:50

It's not the size of the boiler that is important, it is the size of the burner that is important. The boiler is simply a reserve of energy. What is important to provide the energy needed by the engine to drive the boat is the capacity of the burner. The process I suggest when planning a model should be something along the following lines:

1) Select model you want to enjoy building.

2) Select suitable propeller bearing in mind scale looks and performance.

3) Select an engine capable of turning that propeller at an appropriate revs.

4) Select a burner that can provide sufficient steam to keep the engine supplied at full load.

5) Select a boiler that will fit within the reserve ballast of the model bearing in mind all the auxilliary gear, while giving a suitable buffer for fluctuations in engine use. You can compromise on the burner size if you have sufficient reserve of capacity in the boiler to cover anticipated bursts of full power. You can also compromise on boiler size by including a feed system however then your burner has to be capable of producing enough steam for the engine, plus heating fresh feed water. You will also potentially have less of a buffer so pressure fluctuations may be greater, to the point of affecting engine performance.

6) Finally you need to consider the fuel arrangements to meet the demands of the burner. Gas cooling effect plays a big part in many models especially where a large burner and a small gas tank are fitted. Don't forget, according to the regulations, your gas tank must run out before your water supply.

As I said only a suggested thought path.

A 3 1/2 inch boiler should be fine for your project. Only yesterday I tested a plant with a 3 1/2 inch horizontal centre flue boiler in a Mountfleet Cruiser tug, which is 46" x 12" and 40lb displacement. It also had a feed system to extend duration. It performed beautifully.

David Marks 2
                                                  Participant
                                                    @davidmarks2

Trevor – In response to your question posted 3 June regarding "correct proportions". This is just maintaining the correct relationship between the hull length and beam. So I require a hull 28 inches long by 8.5 inches beam which by dividing one into the other gives a figure of 3.3. Therefore a hull length of 42 inches would require as beam of 12.7 inches to maintain the correct proportions.

Ray Wood 3
                                                    Participant
                                                      @raywood3

Hi David,

Cervia is 28" X 6.75" at 1- 48th scale and she's at Ramsgate so easy to visit, she's on my list

SARIK sell the plans.

Regards Ray

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)