Static Model Boats Built from Paper/Card

Advert

Static Model Boats Built from Paper/Card

Home Forums Gallery Static Model Boats Built from Paper/Card

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Armando Loni
    Participant
      @armandoloni78860

I never thought I'd get into this aspect of model boats, but I have!! I've built a few card models from free downloads, in 1/250 scale. Have started uploading to my Album – have a look please 😄

Here's a taster…… It's the MV LÜTJEOOG (a Paper Shipwright design)……img_20220307_170712.jpg

Advert
      Armando Loni
      Participant
        @armandoloni78860
        Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

It is surprising just how good these card models are. I know some people have managed to convert them to working models by sealing the card.

It's not a new idea, working card models were featured in the magazine back in the 1960s.

Colin

Armando Loni
          Participant
            @armandoloni78860
            Posted by Colin Bishop on 17/03/2022 21:29:12:

It is surprising just how good these card models are. I know some people have managed to convert them to working models by sealing the card.

It's not a new idea, working card models were featured in the magazine back in the 1960s.

Colin

And, of course, Glynn Guest uses sealed card in some of his excellent models…….

Richard Simpson
            Participant
              @richardsimpson88330

A beautiful little model Armando. Do you have any pictures during the build process we can see?

neil hp
              Participant
                @neilhp

Absolutely outstanding modelling…….beautiful.

Armando Loni
                Participant
                  @armandoloni78860
                  Posted by Richard Simpson on 17/03/2022 22:27:57:

A beautiful little model Armando. Do you have any pictures during the build process we can see?

Thanks, R! Before I started, I got inspiration from a paper modelling boat forum. I posted a full construction log there, with photos, starting with the two sheets of A4:

https://www.kartonbau.de/forum/thema/44177-mv-l%C3%BCtjeoog-papershipwright-1-250/

👍🏻

Edited By Armando Loni on 18/03/2022 05:43:06

Armando Loni
                  Participant
                    @armandoloni78860
                    Posted by neil howard-pritchard on 17/03/2022 22:41:53:

Absolutely outstanding modelling…….beautiful.

😄👍🏻✂️

Charles Oates
                    Participant
                      @charlesoates31738

That's a wonderful little model. It's made me think about my love of building models and a shortage of storage space.

I think I'll be having a go at this when I've cleared my bench, can you recommend some more sites for the downloads I can look at?

Charles.

Edited By Charles Oates on 18/03/2022 12:21:32

Armando Loni
                      Participant
                        @armandoloni78860
                        Posted by Charles Oates on 18/03/2022 12:20:22:

That's a wonderful little model. It's made me think about my love of building models and a shortage of storage space.

I think I'll be having a go at this when I've cleared my bench, can you recommend some more sites for the downloads I can look at?

Charles.

Thanks, Charles! I'd recommend going to David Hathaway's website – he is the man behind Paper Shipwright and offers free downloads to try as well as kits.

**LINK**

I'll post photos of the other ones I've built…..

Edited By Charles Oates on 18/03/2022 12:21:32

Armando Loni
                        Participant
                          @armandoloni78860

Have uploaded the first card kit models I built to my Album – coaling barges….. Taster here……

img_20211228_145112.jpgimg_20211228_144902.jpg

Edited By Armando Loni on 18/03/2022 13:06:07

Armando Loni
                          Participant
                            @armandoloni78860

And have uploaded my second build to my Albums – the 1/250 DMC 1000 work vessel. That crane took a while as it is made from ten different components. A couple of photos here (more in the Album)……

img_20220107_141235.jpgimg_20220107_141201.jpg

Edited By Armando Loni on 18/03/2022 13:19:59

Armando Loni
                            Participant
                              @armandoloni78860

Perhaps I should add…… The download plans/kits are laser-printed onto 150gsm card stock, which I get done at my local printer…… Anything less than 159gsm is too fragile and heavier than 160gsm would be difficult to fold/manipulate 👍🏻

Armando Loni
                              Participant
                                @armandoloni78860

Perhaps I should add…… The download plans/kits are laser-printed onto 150gsm card stock, which I get done at my local printer…… Anything less than 159gsm is too fragile and heavier than 160gsm would be difficult to fold/manipulate 👍🏻

Armando Loni
                                Participant
                                  @armandoloni78860
                                  Posted by Colin Bishop on 17/03/2022 21:29:12:

Colin

Colin – I just read that some of the 1950's Micromodels/Modelcraft boats were designed to float (after waterproofing) and propagate using a few drops of methylated spirits (surface tension effect): **LINK**

Edited By Armando Loni on 20/03/2022 13:53:47

Cecil Webb
                                  Participant
                                    @cecilwebb96087
                                    Posted by Armando Loni on 17/03/2022 21:23:36:

I never thought I'd get into this aspect of model boats, but I have!! I've built a few card models from free downloads, in 1/250 scale. Have started uploading to my Album – have a look please 😄

Here's a taster…… It's the MV LÜTJEOOG (a Paper Shipwright design)……img_20220307_170712.jpg

The model is amazing.

Cecil Webb
                                    Participant
                                      @cecilwebb96087

Been a while I worked on card models. Used to spend all day making these. This hits right in the nostalgia corner.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)