Something More Relaxing

Advert

Something More Relaxing

Home Forums Static modelling Something More Relaxing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bob Wilson
    Participant
      @bobwilson59101
      After completing the CARMANIA, I have now moved back to something much easier – a 75-ton schooner.
      Shouldn’t take me all that long to rig it and it makes a pleasant change after the CARMANIA.    I have already made the display case and sea, but the sea is not yet painted.
      Bob

Advert
      Bob Wilson
      Participant
        @bobwilson59101
        Bob Wilson
        Participant
          @bobwilson59101
          I haven’t worked very hard on this one and it has been very slow.    It is now almost finished.   The sea still has to be painted and the wire surround fitted as well as the nameplates.   These last items tend to make the models “come alive!”
          Bob

Peter Fitness
          Participant
            @peterfitness34857
            Quite a change of pace after Carmania, Bob.

Exquisite, as usual.

Peter. 
            Richard Simpson
            Participant
              @richardsimpson88330
              Absolutely beautiful model Bob.  I can’t believe you get so much detail in something of such a small scale.
              Bob Wilson
              Participant
                @bobwilson59101
                Thanks,

To me, it isn’t a small scale, it is 16’=1″ that is twice my normal scale of 32’=1″!      If I had built the CARMANIA at this scale, it would have been 41 inches long!

For many years, I have found 32’=1″ very convenient and really, I don’t know how most modellers manage at enormous scales of 8’=1″ or even 4’=1″.      

I have very little patience, and taking two months to build the CARMANIA pushed me to the limits.   I am normally quite fed up after one month.

Bob
                Bob Wilson
                Participant
                  @bobwilson59101
                  Finally complete.   The sea was painted yesterday (delay caused by Christmas).
                  The good ship LOCHRANZA CASTLE.
                  Bob

Peter Fitness
                  Participant
                    @peterfitness34857
                    Yet another beautiful model, Bob, and the water effect is startlingly realistic. I note that Lochranza Castle’s  life came to an end the year after mine began

Peter. 
                    Bob Wilson
                    Participant
                      @bobwilson59101
                      Thanks Peter,
                      The ship did have a very long life.    Finally, towards the end, a small diesel engine was fitted and the square sails removed.
                      Quite a nice little model that filled in the time over Christmas.      Again, almost zero interest in it from fellow modelmakers, but it will soon be winging its way across the pond to the United States, so I can count it as a success!
                      Am currently working on the British four-masted barque PRIMROSE HILL, labouring through heavy seas under shortened sail.    That was the ship that Charles Lightoller (senior surviving officer of RMS TITANIC) was apprenticed to in 1888 when he first went to sea.
                      PRIMROSE HILL to my normal scale of 32’=1″.
                      Bob
                    Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)