Small Topsail schooner

Advert

Small Topsail schooner

Home Forums Static modelling Small Topsail schooner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Bob Wilson
    Participant
      @bobwilson59101
      Advert
      Bob Wilson
      Participant
        @bobwilson59101

Ready to start – 16 feet to 1 inch – waterline – Bob

small schooner 1.jpg

Bob Abell 2
        Participant
          @bobabell2

Looking forward to your build, Robert

It`s a bit of a Tiddler….eh?

Bob

Bob Wilson
          Participant
            @bobwilson59101

98 tons. 85.8 feet long (25.8 feet longer than a railway carriage), 19.9 feet wide.

Bob

Bob Abell 2
            Participant
              @bobabell2

Thanks Bob

I just divided 80 feet by 16 and got……..5"

About the length of your Biro

Bob

Bob Wilson
              Participant
                @bobwilson59101

Correct, it is 16 feet to 1 inch – Bob

Bob Wilson
                Participant
                  @bobwilson59101

Not very good weather for photography at the moment, dark all day, and likely to continue for another week, at least Bob

small schooner 2.jpg

Bob Abell 2
                  Participant
                    @bobabell2

Hi Bob

Have you made the Bowsprit of brass sheet?

Bob

Bob Wilson
                    Participant
                      @bobwilson59101

It hasn't got a bowspit yet! When I do make it, it will be from thin brass tube, and the jibboom above it will be thin brass rod.

Bob

Bob Wilson
                      Participant
                        @bobwilson59101

The only brass in it at the moment is the clipper bow, rudder and two mast stubs!

Bob

Bob Wilson
                        Participant
                          @bobwilson59101

All ready for masting & rigging.

Bob

small schooner 2.jpg

ashley needham
                          Participant
                            @ashleyneedham69188

Bob. Another brisk build!!

Am sure someone must have asked already…what paint do you use?

Ashley

Bob Wilson
                            Participant
                              @bobwilson59101

The black part is water-based acrylic. The white stripe is a piece of thin white styrene rod stuck on. The under water colour is gold paint to represent yellow metal. The undrewater part is a bit untidy, but it doesn't matter, as it is to be a waterline model and only the top 3mm of the gold will be showing slightly. The bowsprit/jiboom was undercoated with red oxide matt primer (From Halford's) Then the final colour was Russet Brown, also Halford's. Both aerosol spray cans. No-one has ever asked what paint I use as far as I can remember!surprise In fact, I have stopped taking them to the local ship model club because very few even notice them – too small, I suppose!smiley

Bob

ashley needham
                              Participant
                                @ashleyneedham69188

It is a shame, but size seems to matter when in company with other boats. Even my SansP (which is a whopper compared to most of yours) seems to lose significance when on the pond. Perhaps you should wow with quantity when taking boats down? The total is bigger than the sum of its parts (or whatever the saying is)

​Paint,, I think you are a man who uses what is convenient and/or to hand. I must say acrylics are very useable for small areas, easy clean-up and fast drying. A lot of people worry about durability but for the amount of time these things spend in the water this just cant be anything to worry about (obviously you do not have that worry!)

My larger models tend to get the household paint treatment…

​Ashley

Bob Wilson
                                Participant
                                  @bobwilson59101

I don't have a great deal of patience, and the paints I use all dry in about ten minutes. Although model shipbuilders dislike miniatures, and the general public are completely indifferent to them, I find that the demand from collecors is uncomfortably high. Far too high for me to be able to cope with, in fact. For that reason, I stopped taking private commissions years ago, and now only build what I feel like building. Even so, I am continually getting "If you ever think of building xxxxxx, I will buy it!" which is a sure way of making sure I will never build it!sad

Bob

Bob Wilson
                                  Participant
                                    @bobwilson59101

Looking rather better now, and a fine, bright day for a better photograph. Nearly finished now, as the rigging is the easiest part.

Bob

small schooner.jpg

Bob Abell 2
                                    Participant
                                      @bobabell2

Looking very nice Robert

Black masts and spars with gossamer white sails, seems to be your trade mark?

Also the natural bow in the rigging is a nice touch

Don't be discouraged by the lack of comments, Bob, lt seems to be the trend these days

Bob

Banjoman
                                      Participant
                                        @banjoman

Bob (W.)

A beautiful build, as always when you are involved, and a very nice subject — for some reason, I have always had a particularly weak spot for schooners …

Are those deadeyes of the same type as the one you showed us in your recent "Tiny deadeyes" thread?

Mattias

Bob Wilson
                                        Participant
                                          @bobwilson59101

Thanks,

The masts are rusett brown (Halford's car spray). Lack of interest by modelmakers has never bothered me, (although it has always surprised me) but it does mean that I post fewer images of the build than I might have done otherwisesurprise I have more time for model shipbuilding now, as I have discontinued my monthy downloads of The Shelterdeck, again because of lack of interest! Yes, the deadeyes are the ones described under "tiny deadeyes" It is nearly finished now. Yesterday, I set and rigged four jibs. The next task is to fit the mainmast, with its mainsail & gaff topsail. Then the main topmast staysail and finally the two square sails on the foremast. But Tuesday is normally day off, so will not start again until Wednesday.

The display case and sea are already built, but the sea has not yet been painted.

Bob

Bob Wilson
                                          Participant
                                            @bobwilson59101

I didn't do anything on Wednesday and Thursday, but fitted the mainmast and mainsail on Friday, and today, fitted the gaff topsail and main topmast staysail. I also made 24 more tiny deadeyes this morning. I will not need that many, but they can go to the next model.

Bob

small schooner 13th jan 2018.jpg

Bob Abell 2
                                            Participant
                                              @bobabell2

Very nice Bob

What length of voyages would craft like this, safely undertake?

Bob

Bob Wilson
                                              Participant
                                                @bobwilson59101

This one was built for the fruit trade from the Mediterranean to Britain. Ideal for the job because they were fast and there was plenty of wind available on that run. But some of them went far further, often being built in Britain and sailed out to their new owners in Australia or New Zealand. The next task is to complete the standing rigging. Fit the running rgging to the mainmast and set and rig the two square sails on the foremast. My wife should be painting the sea this afternoon.

Bob

Bob Wilson
                                                Participant
                                                  @bobwilson59101

All ready for sea – Bob

small schooner ready for sea.jpg

Bob Abell 2
                                                  Participant
                                                    @bobabell2

Very nice Bob

I still find it truly amazing, with all that sail top side…………It doesn't roll over?

Bob

ashley needham
                                                    Participant
                                                      @ashleyneedham69188

As usual Bob, a miniature work of art.

​It has to be due to the relative weights involved (turning over). It would be nice to calculate the weights of sails, masts, top deck, bulwarks and so on and scale them down to make a scale weight-distribution model to see if in fact a model can be made to sail without a big ugly keel…>>

Ashley

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)