Rails

Advert

Rails

Home Forums Static modelling Rails

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bob Wilson
    Participant
      @bobwilson59101
      Advert
      Bob Wilson
      Participant
        @bobwilson59101

Thursday 15th April, 2021.

This morning, I made some guard rails for the poop and forecastle of arails (large).jpg four-master. Initially, I tried to be clever, and just made what I required, and consequently made a mess of them. Returning to my time-honoured method of making more than I need, in the hope that I will have enough good ones, proved successful. Of seven sets, four turned out near perfect. I have left the defective ones on the frame so that you can see what tends to happen to the top and bottom rows. These rails were made from 38 swg tinned copper wire, wound on a frame, and soldered in every joint. They were sprayed with white matt primer from a car accessories shop (Halford's UK).

Bob Abell 2
        Participant
          @bobabell2

Very nice Bob and a clever idea too

But how are you mounting them on your tiny models?

Bob

Bob Wilson
          Participant
            @bobwilson59101

I just glue the bottom bar to the deck. They are so small that nobody notices anything untoward –

59 (medium).jpg

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

I need something like that for my 1:150 scale liner models. Did you use a jig Bob? I have some solder paint which will take care of the actual soldering.

Colin

Bob Abell 2
              Participant
                @bobabell2

Thank you. Bob

Your model is shear perfection, you have my total admiration, It is very very attractive

It must be quite valuable too, having read about one of models being sold on at at auction for quite a high sum

All the best Robert

Bob

Bob Wilson
                Participant
                  @bobwilson59101

dscf7010 (large).jpgColin,

Yes, I used a jig. I think you have my book, Model Shipbuilder 2015 – It is in that – Basically a small piece of wood with threaded rod glued round the tode to get the correct wire spacing..

Bob.

Thursday, 15th April, 2021

I had a day o0ff from drawing, and completed the fitting of the poop rails, on the four-master, together with their simulated teak capping rail. The bridge between the poop and after deckhouse was fitted, together with the guard rails. The pin rail on the forecastle head for the jib sheets was fitted, and also two more on the poop deck for the jigger mast lines.

Bobdscf7008 (large).jpg

Colin Bishop
                    @colinbishop34627

Thanks Bob, yes, I have the book and will refresh my memory.

Colin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)