Precautions during this hot spell

Advert

Precautions during this hot spell

Home Forums Soapbox Precautions during this hot spell

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Paul T
    Participant
      @pault84577

With many workshops being like ovens we should all be careful with pressurised containers and storage of nitro fuel.

Pressurised containers don't like excessive heat and tend to go bang when they overheat, those nice rattle cans from Halfords have the potential to be a very effective hand grenade look at this example of when a small can explodes in a car link

How many of you have got paint, WD 40 or laquer cans in your workarea and would your workshop / house survive?

Paul

Advert
      Paul T
      Participant
        @pault84577
        ashley needham
        Participant
          @ashleyneedham69188

Good point Paul.i might get a tin to put my explosives in for the garage.

All my rattle cans are in ‘t shed and that remainscool(ish) in this heat.

Ashley

Colin Bishop
            @colinbishop34627

Sensible advice. In my case the workshop hasn't exceeded 90F and the garage, where all the rattle cans are is a good 10 degrees cooler.

A car can get a heck of a lot hotter than that in blazing sunshine.

Colin

PS – Just had a look at a Halfords rattle can and they say do not heat beyond 122F.

Edited By Colin Bishop on 13/08/2020 16:54:51

Paul T
            Participant
              @pault84577

A few members have workshops upstairs in attics or dormer bedrooms and just like a felt roofed shed these areas absorb heat and quickly become ovens.

Slight damage to a spray can will reduce its ability to contain pressurised contents by 30%, how many dented pressurised containers are in your workshops?

In my work life I have been called in as a professional witness to a fatal incident where a can of air freshener exploded and took out the front room of a house. It blew the window and front door a clear 20m across the front garden.

Sadly the occupant was in the room at the time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)