“Plover” the gravel pit tug

Advert

“Plover” the gravel pit tug

Home Forums Scratch build “Plover” the gravel pit tug

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    David Marks 2
    Participant
      @davidmarks2

This thread set up specifically for anyone building or is contemplating building Plover from the free plan in the November 2023 edition of Model Boats. To be used as a means of providing help and assistance, showing to others how your build is progressing etc. Remember that nothing is difficult providing you undertake the task in the correct manner. I hope that you enjoy building and sailing Plover as much as I did.PLOV 56 (2)

Advert
      Richard Simpson
      Participant
        @richardsimpson88330

Nice to see a new variant of this one David.  The “Boston Lock” gained a couple of crew and needed a new motor but is now used to entertain my great nephew.

David Marks 2
        Participant
          @davidmarks2

Richard – Hopefully that will encourage some readers to take the step across from kit building to scratch building, especially as the manufacturers/suppliers of kits are gradually reducing. I would love to see someones version of Plover changed/enhanced to suit their personal taste and in their own choice of colour scheme.

Chris E
          Participant
            @chrise

I am most impressed with the article in the magazine & the plan that accompanies it. So much useful information. I know that you were concerned to achieve this and you have most certainly done so. Well done and thank you.

David Marks 2
            Participant
              @davidmarks2
              On Chris E said

I am most impressed with the article in the magazine & the plan that accompanies it. So much useful information. I know that you were concerned to achieve this and you have most certainly done so. Well done and thank you.

Chris – Thank you for your comments. As you were the person who identified the problem(s) found by those trying to access and print the plans received in digital format, does the plan for Plover overcome those issues, i.e. it provides the actual dimensions for the O/A Length and Beam, plus the Metric and Imperial scales along the four edges of the plan? If so, you may like to ask Lindsay if she would like to make these a feature on all subsequent plans. The scales just need adding to what back in the pen on paper days was called the Drawing Blank, but the O/A Dimensions obviously need to be supplied by the designer.

Richard Simpson
              Participant
                @richardsimpson88330

Not everyone’s cup of tea but, the lad is only nine and he’s obsessed with Mario.  Consequently he loves playing with the Boston Lock and, of course is getting some experience and exposure to a model boat.  We can only hope it develops.  Meanwhile it always attracts attention!

02-08-23-10BostonLockTug10

02-08-23-09BostonLockTug9

Chris E
                Participant
                  @chrise

David

Your plan (& the article) are absolutely great & seem to include everything needed. It must have been a lot of work to get it like this.

Lindsey readily agreed to putting better and longer scales on all future plans. I suspect that nobody had really considered the value of the small scales previously used.

Richard

Now that is a model boat!

Richard Simpson
                  Participant
                    @richardsimpson88330

Thank David for the boat, my only addition was the figures.

David Marks 2
                    Participant
                      @davidmarks2

Looks as though Mario has been leaning on those Safety Rails a bit too much!

Richard Simpson
                      Participant
                        @richardsimpson88330

He needed a bit of room for his pasta!

David Marks 2
                        Participant
                          @davidmarks2

I was browsing eBay and I noted the plan for Plover (and I assume that included the mag as well) on sale for almost twice the cost from the likes of W H Smith. Why would you ant to pay almost double the price?

Ray Wood 3
                          Participant
                            @raywood3

Hi David,

Yes it happens all the time, as once the hard copies of the magazine with the plan are sold out there is no way of buying the plan, they used to be passed to SARIK to sell but not anymore, so this almost makes them collectable 🙂

And at twice the magazine price it’s still cheaper than buying a plan from SARIK 🙁

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson
                            Participant
                              @richardsimpson88330

Wow!, does that mean my large pile of Model Boats Magazines might actually be worth something?  Or slightly more than nothing then!

David Marks 2
                              Participant
                                @davidmarks2
                                On Ray Wood 3 Said:

Hi David,

Yes it happens all the time, as once the hard copies of the magazine with the plan are sold out there is no way of buying the plan, they used to be passed to SARIK to sell but not anymore, so this almost makes them collectable 🙂

And at twice the magazine price it’s still cheaper than buying a plan from SARIK 🙁

Regards Ray

Ray – Gone for £11: 50 within about two days. I hope they are as keen to build the model.

David

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)