Opinion on Off the shelf model

Advert

Opinion on Off the shelf model

Home Forums Static modelling Opinion on Off the shelf model

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    steve c 2
    Participant
      @stevec2

Hi

I'm choosing a model boat for display purposes at home. I'm not interested in building one (while I'm sure that could result in a better quality result). I'm looking at the following couple of products:

https://www.everythingnautical.com/endeavour-painted-model-yacht-24/

also similar product available in UK for less ( https://www.nain-model-ships.co.uk/endeavour-p-309.html )

I love the hull on this – it looks nicely detailed and made, the sails look poor IMO.

VS

https://www.batela-giftware.co.uk/collections/sailing-ships/products/rainbow-lux?variant=4467742469

The batela one seems quite widely available but i can't find a retailer with more than one low/medium res photo.

Because i can't find any more photos showing other angles and details it's hard to gauge.

I'm aware they are built in china/vietnam so quality may be so-so.

Does anyone have any first hand experiance of these 2 or can suggest good alternative?

Thanks

Steve

Advert
      steve c 2
      Participant
        @stevec2
        ashley needham
        Participant
          @ashleyneedham69188

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum.

​This I am afraid is all down to personal preference. No one here will agree on "the best" model.

​Both, to me. look OK as display models with a reasonable amount of detail, however they are not museum quality (and you are not paying a fortune for them) but you are not buying for museum exhibition. A working model yacht would be interesting as well, or even get a "vintage" one from an auction site. Neither will be as pristine (in all likelihood) but again it depends on what you want to look at.

I would go for the one you like best: It is YOU that has to look at it on the shelf !!!

​Ashley

Ian Jopson
          Participant
            @ianjopson21383

A firm called Nauticalia (has at least one shop, in Greenwich, has a range of ready built display models, ranging from cheap cartoon style to more expensive. Might be worth a look.

steve c 2
            Participant
              @stevec2

Hi Ashley. Thanks for your comments. It’s reassuring to hear that they both seem reasonable to you.
              As far as a working model goes maybe one day-i have enough flying models to keep me busy at the moment.
              Yes indeed I will be the one looking at it!

Thanks for your suggestion Ian, I actually went to the Greenwich store but wasn’t hugely impressed with their offering our service so have gone online.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)