Non operational model boat club

Advert

Non operational model boat club

Home Forums Soapbox Non operational model boat club

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Bob Mc
    Participant
      @bobmc91481

I have recently begun an interest in model boating and have joined the Etherow club in Stockport Cheshire which is quite lively, so I was hoping to visit other clubs now and again.

I have friends in the Bristol area and was pleased to see that there was a model boat club nearby and was hoping that the club was still in operation as they don't appear to have a website, does anyone know if the Yate & Sodbury model boat club still exists?

Thanks ..rgds..Bob.

Advert
      Bob Mc
      Participant
        @bobmc91481

Yate & Sodbury (Kingsgate Park)

Richard Simpson
        Participant
          @richardsimpson88330

Ah! When I saw the title I thought you were asking for a club for non powered model boats!

Edited By Richard Simpson on 17/11/2021 22:26:17

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi Bob,

According to a mention on the Sedgemoor MBC website Yate & Sodbury MBC club folded last year

Guess they maybe the alternative club in the area?

Regards Ray

Bob Mc
            Participant
              @bobmc91481

Thanks Richard/Ray…

yes I suppose 'Non Operational' could mean 'Non Powered'..! that would mean a Static model I presume … anyways it does appear to me as a beginner that I have come to the hobby at a difficult time, the model engineering faction seem to be having the same problem where not enough youngsters are interested.

I can only assume the reason for this is that there are many more things of interest and with immediate gratification these days.

..Bob.

Roger Fuge
              Participant
                @rogerfuge

Hi yes Yate and Sodbury Model boat club has been closed down unfortunately

four for us try to sail on Thursday Mornings but the lake is weed up and full of rubbish So no sailing until the weed cl is cleared by the frost and wind

The council said it is unable to help because of a population of Newts

Bob Mc
                Participant
                  @bobmc91481

Thanks Roger,

Yes KingsGate did seem to be overgrown with weeds when I went to see it which is a shame as I would have liked to get my friend who lives in Frampton Cotterell interested in model boats.

I did come accross a reference to a boating lake in the Bristol area called Eastville Park Lake, is it a boating lake ? is it still being used? the reference was however an old Victorian postcard and it looked quite a spectacular place for model boating.

Or… are there any other places for mb's in the Bristol area, I can't understand why such a big place with a famous boat building history has not got a large model boat following, I mean…that is where SS Great Britian is parked up..!

rgds..Bob.

Colin Bishop
                    @colinbishop34627

The MPBA keep a list of clubs which may be helpful:

**LINK**

Colin

Richard Simpson
                    Participant
                      @richardsimpson88330

That seems to be a normal council tactic nowadays. Procrastinate over something for as long as it takes for some sort of wildlife to take over then they can claim they cannot do anything anyway. Newts are a classic but frogs, bats and hedgehogs work just as effectively.

Roger Fuge
                      Participant
                        @rogerfuge

Hi Portishead lake is open for model boat sailing a good lake for power or sail no lc boats good parking cafe and wc

all near by

Bob Mc
                        Participant
                          @bobmc91481

Thanks Colin, Richard, Roger..

Had a look at the Portishead lake and I will definately give it a visit next year, thanks for your replies.

Bob..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)