Naval pulling boats

Advert

Naval pulling boats

Home Forums Scratch build Naval pulling boats

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Robin Burnham
    Participant
      @robinburnham95746

I am always trying to collect information about naval boats, especially naval gigs of which information is very scarce, any help would be much appreciated

Advert
      Don Koehler
      Participant
        @donkoehler51711

There is a fairly comprehensive volume called "Boats of Men of War" by W.E. May, published by the National Maritime Museum and Chatham Publishing in 1999.  I am not sure if it’s still in print, but it can be had from used book sellers certainly.  It covers the subject from about 1600 until the advent of steam propulsion for warships.  I hope this is what you’re looking for.

Archibald Mainstream
        Participant
          @archibaldmainstream22940

There is some good examples preserved at Portsmouth historic dockyard.

Robin Burnham
          Participant
            @robinburnham95746

Thanks Daryl, yes I know this book and a have copy, unfortunately, It stops at the point I need, and does not cover approx 1850 onwards, I also have heard there are two gigs in Portsmouth, we had two here in Plymouth, the Green gig, Commandant General Royal Marines, which was sadly destroyed, and the Blue gig, the port admirals, this is in asorry state of repair, stored in the open at Devonport, she is repairable but deteriorating fast.

I had hoped to be involved in her restoration, but politics interfered!

Thanks again robin

Robin Burnham
            Participant
              @robinburnham95746

Sorry, I should have thanked Don for the info about the book!

Robin Burnham
              Participant
                @robinburnham95746
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)