Motor Selection

Advert

Motor Selection

Home Forums Scratch build Motor Selection

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Terry Burnett
    Participant
      @terryburnett86686

Dear Modellers

I am building a single scew 54" cabin cruiser and have the plans for future consideration of Vic Smeed’s 63" Vivacity.

I am receiving conflicting advice as to the electric motor / propeller selection. A respectable but not overpowerful speed is required

Alasdair (Model Motors Direct) suggests a Buehler 777 12 volt motor see below

5,000 – 10,000 rpm
      2 x Roller Bearing
      7 Poles, skewed wound.
      High Quality
      inc. brass coupling

Cost is only £12, and although I would not doubt Alasdair I would appreciate advice, cost is not an issue though as all modellers I do not wish to waste money, prop selection is also a consideration.

Many thanks to all contributors. Terry

Advert
      Paul T
      Participant
        @pault84577

Hi Terry

Alasdair is 100% correct with his recomendation and the price is good value.

The Vivacity is a wonderful model to build and you should have great fun making and sailing her.

Paul

Ducky
        Participant
          @ducky

Hi Terry

Have you noticed your other boats posted by Bob Abell in his album "Other Boats" taken at Etherow MBC, that is if you are the same Terry ?????

Terry Burnett
          Participant
            @terryburnett86686

Thanks FC for advice and encouragement, any prop recommendations?

Ducky, that’s me how do I access Bob’s album, hope to see you at Etherow soon.

Paul T
            Participant
              @pault84577

Hi Terry

A good prop would be a traditional 3 blade at approx 50mm dia (tug type prop) this will give your big model plenty of torque without washing the banks away,

A couple of things to consider in a boat of this size are a kortz rudder and a bow thruster as low speed maneuvering will be a problem. 

Thanks for the e mail, I enjoyed the big boat but sold it last summer and last came across it on e bay a few weeks ago.

All the best

Paul

Len Ochiltree
              Participant
                @lenochiltree67043

Hi Terry,

Bobs Album. To access it go to the top of the page, click on Albums and about 1/2 way down is Bob Abells "other boats", click on the photo.

Len.

Ducky
                Participant
                  @ducky

Hi Terry

Try Bob Abell’s other build "the Great Eastern"  Look for his name in the gallery and click on the picture, its a treat if you are into big boats and starts from the formers and first planks ! , but I know you are more skilled than that stage but is of great interest.

mick
                  Participant
                    @mick

i am after two 555 motors from model motors direct  but dont know the address

or price of these motors  can anybody help please dont know if he has a

telephone number to ask these questions and payment +p+p thanks lads

happy modelling  are these motor s 6 or 12v  as well mick 

mick
                    Participant
                      @mick

i found the telephone number for model motors direct  and alistair was

very helpful thanks  they worked out at 12pound with p+p and they are

9v to 24  i will be useing 12v so its ok  

Terry Burnett
                      Participant
                        @terryburnett86686

Cabin Cruiser

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)