modern yacht model advice

Advert

modern yacht model advice

Home Forums Static modelling modern yacht model advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brittany Priebe
    Participant
      @brittanypriebe12424

Hey everyone,

I’m a university student in a model design program and I’m building a scale model of my parents’ 34′ sailboat for one of my projects this year.  I’m thrilled to have found a resource such as this!  I’m not new to modeling in general, but I haven’t built a boat model since I was a kid.

My project is a 34′ O’day.  I have a couple of measured drawings but they don’t provide much info, so I will be ‘eye-balling’ a number of things.  I did take some measurements of the actual boat before I came back to uni but there will still be plenty of guess-timating.  Right now, my biggest problem is how to build the hull.  I’ve done lots of research and purchased a couple of books, but I’m not sure which method is best for me.  I was planning on doing a plank-on-bulkhead contruction with cutouts on some of the bulkheads near the stern so I can block in the cockpit.  However, in intial discussions my tutor thinks I should do a solid-hull model out of yellow foam (a dense styrofoam, if you are unfamiliar with the material).  If I did this I would think I would have to cut the length of the hull in three pieces, cut out the cockpit in the middle piece, glue them back together, and then cut out the final hull shape–does that even make sense?  It does in my head.   I would love to hear thoughts on the various methods from all you experts.

Also, I’m having some trouble in finding modern yacht hardware, particularly winches.  Any advice on where to find this kind of stuff would be great.

Thanks!

-Brittany

Advert
      Bob Abell 2
      Participant
        @bobabell2

Hello Brittany

Have a look at my LOUIS HELOISE and GREAT EASTERN galleries to see how plank on frame construction is carried out from start to finish

Bob

Brittany Priebe
        Participant
          @brittanypriebe12424

Thanks, Bob.  You do beautiful work, your models are fantastic!  Your step-by-step photos are very useful and informative, a great help.

Bob Abell 2
          Participant
            @bobabell2

Hello Britt

As a matter of fact………………I`m just about to start on a new model….

"Jeanie Deans at War"……………….plank on frame construction of course

Keep looking in…………………….Bob

Paul T
            Participant
              @pault84577

Hello Brittany

These might help

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/images/member_albums/1859/o34BluePrint2.gif
              http://www.modelboats.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/images/member_albums/1859/o34BluePrint1.gif

As you already have some dimensions you should be able to “scale” other measurements from these drawings. I have posted the images as Gif and as large a file as this site will allow so you should have no problem expanding or printing them.

If you need any more help or advice then just ask and I am sure that one of us will be able to help.

Paul

nb: Bob is one of our best builders and his advice is invaluable.

Brittany Priebe
              Participant
                @brittanypriebe12424

Thanks so much!

Brittany Priebe
                Participant
                  @brittanypriebe12424
                Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)