Meths spirit burner

Advert

Meths spirit burner

Home Forums Steam powered models Meths spirit burner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ken Banks 1
    Participant
      @kenbanks1

My Mamod twin cyl. oscillating steam powered launch runs well indoors and self starts on servo operation of the regulator but on my garden pond seems to loose pressure somewhat rapidly. Lowering the boat sometimes allows splllage from the burner.

Have any of the members had any success from insulating the boiler / pipework / lubricator and thought up any means of fireproofing.

Kenb

Advert
      Ken Banks 1
      Participant
        @kenbanks1

Insulating and Fireproofing steam launch

Charles Oates
        Participant
          @charlesoates31738

Wow, that takes me back a long time. I had the same problem back in the day, I changed over to the solid fuel tablets, and protected the burner area from the wind. It worked for me, I wish I still had the boat, very simple fun.

Chas

Ken Banks 1
          Participant
            @kenbanks1

Hi Chas,

Thanks for your reply. Havn't had much success with the solid fuel tablets which seem to create less heat and exhaust themselves quite quickly. Tried the barbecue lighting fuel. That burns well but seems bit more precarious than meths. I'd like to use gas but I don't know if there is a burner of a suitable shape that can be inserted under the boiler.

Shelter from the wind is a pertinent idea although the burner does sit well down inside the hull. I could try blocking up the holes in the sides of the burner enclosure beneath the boiler. This might cut off too much air.

Ken

Charles Oates
            Participant
              @charlesoates31738

If you want to consider a gas burner, have a look at Tony Green steam models. They have a range of burners, and they know all about Mamod, so can advise you well.

http://www.tonygreensteammodels.co.uk/

Chas

Ken Banks 1
              Participant
                @kenbanks1

Many thanks Chas.

Ken

John wilson 18
                Participant
                  @johnwilson18

I think you can refer here https://www.allicdata.com

Edited By John wilson 18 on 23/05/2019 06:32:40

ashley needham
                  Participant
                    @ashleyneedham69188

You can get bio-ethanol gel in tins, used as fuel for camping. For camping use you simply take the lid off and light!

For Mamod use, I have seen that you use a teaspoon and simply fill a burner up with the gel, light and retire (as they say). Burns away completely, no mess.

Ashley

Andy Stoneman
                    Participant
                      @andystoneman15177

Hi Ken

Ive used the Aluminium Tops from the large 500grm Yoghurt containers, cut to shape and glued inside the hull, prevents fires and flame licking out from the side of your boiler if a tight fit in the hull. If you cut off too much air the burner will go out as you said earlier A gas poker burner would suit a mamod boiler if you've room for a gas tank.I like the Bio-Ethanol gel Idea of your Ashley. No chance of a spill unlike Meths.

Andy

Captain Flack
                      Participant
                        @captainflack

I have used the gel, not in a boat application, for a catering use where you need to keep the water boiling in a "bain marie" to keep food hot. Although the units I used were designed for two gel pots I only ever used one and it kept going for well over an hour.

As previously stated, very clean and smell free. Also, not particularly expensive, especially in the quantities you would be using.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)